Royal Mail deliveries

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Andwar

What is used to be like

Post by Andwar »

My father worked his whole life in the Post Office / Royal Mail running the sorting office under the old Stock Exchange. This was from the 1960's to the late 80's.

In his day the major sorting offices used to sort the post overnight or very early in the morning then they would be out on their rounds by 7am. Everyone then got their post by 10 at the latest but on most occasions I remember the post landing on the doormat before I went to school.

But he always said that there should be one class one delivery. What they had to do is firstly sort first from second class mail. Then sort the first class into the relavent rounds and then once that was out on delivery they would sort the second class post out. With his idea it would be one sort and one delivery thereby saving money and time in the process.

Also he would get staff that were not excatly the brightest spark in the box or if they were to sort more than one letter every five minutes they would complain that he was bullying them into working hard.

The thing is if the Royal Mail wants to keep going then they need to employ staff who are compus mentis and want to make their jobs worthwhile. So how about a John Lewis approach and give everyone shares in the business so it's in their interest to do well otherwise...they lose their jobs with no payoff.
Andwar

Eventually

Post by Andwar »

Just a quick post. Eventually got my letter I have been waiting for. Postmarked 6th Jan, delivered 14th Jane

8 days for First Class delivery is pretty good, isn't it? :roll: