Royal Mail deliveries

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Barty

Royal Mail deliveries

Post by Barty »

Shortly after we moved into our flat in October, I took it upon myself to tidy and organise the massive pile of post, takeaway menus and assorted $h!t left in the communal entrance area of the property.

I collected a pile of some 20-odd letters addressed to various other addresses, in some cases with completely different road names and postcodes with just the flat number matching!

Has anyone else, particularly anyone living in a flat with a shared letterbox, found this a problem?

And if so, and you have contacted Royal Mail by letter and email about it, do they bother doing anything? It's taken one letter and about five emails so far to get nothing accomplished.
Mrs.E

Post by Mrs.E »

I don't live in a shared flat, but I do also have the problem of post being delivered to our address when it should have been delivered elsewhere! Sometimes it's as close as next door, but mostly its from all over sydenham with not the same house number or road!

Also on birthday's we usually have at least 4 cards from reletives go missing which they have posted and I've recently had a problem with an organisation having to send me 3 identical letters over 2 months before I received any.

Anyone else experience these things?
multisync

Post by multisync »

Ihave had several issues with Royal Mail and have e-mailed them in disgust having received a credit card statement delivered to me ten minutes after the rest of my post having been ripped open beforehand.They just meakly appologised.
Most of this seems to have happened since Sydenham sorting office closed.Also we seem to have different delivery people every other day ,they all look a bit dim and I'm not sure they can all read!
Apologies to those that can
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I've had the same problem - lots of random mail delivered to us which was intended for various properties up and down our road. I emailed Royal Mail to complain and they got back to me with a standard "sorry, we'll look into it" response. It may just be coincidence, and I may jinx myself here, but since then the problem does seem to have all but gone away.

Whether all of our mail is actually reaching our property, on the other hand, is another matter entirely....
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

The Royal mail and the post office are a useless gang of thieving pikeys who can't even count let alone read. Initial city link are a bunch of tossers as well!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Well I guess that makes bbw a thieving pikey tosser too. I mean bbw can't surely be more courteous and efficient than our regular postman, or the City Link guy who normally delivers to me, and comes round again later if I'm not in?

I have a theory as to why some people get worse service than the rest of us ...

Having said that I had an unfortunate experience on my only excursion to the new Sydenham (sic) Delivery Office in Forest Hill. It took them 15 minutes to find my registered letter. Again the staff were very nice and apologetic but it would seem the office is in a more chaotic state than Silverdale.

Stuart
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

stuart wrote: I have a theory as to why some people get worse service than the rest of us ...
I'd love to hear it??? If you're referring to BBW's statements, in our case it can't be anything personal as my postman has never met me!!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Treat people as you wish to be treated. Call people tossers, pikeys etc and they may indeed be unkind enough to return the compliment in kind.

My RM experience is that it is a poorly paid, thankless job that attracts both the good and bad. Labelling the good as pikey tossers is not going to encourage better service. Or perhaps my understanding of human nature is not up to date?

Or Lawrie Park just attracts a better sort of delivery person? (I'm surprised you have never met your postman. Try getting a smaller letterbox. Great way to meet! Mine now greets me in the street)

Stuart
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

I had a lovely Postman when I lived in Lawrie Park Road, he would always say hello and was always pleasant and didn't deliver other people's post to my postbox... now I come under Catford Sorting Office, the service is rather different. We never know what Postman we'll get, what time he'll come - sometimes up to 4pm!!! - and whether we'll get just OUR stuff, or IF we'll get our stuff come to that.

My Lovefilm DVDs have gone missing more than once never to be seen again, a xmas card from a friend, who only lives in Sevenoaks went missing before xmas... it's a much better service in Sydenham!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I've never met my postman as I'm almost never home when he comes by, and I'm also 2 floors up!

I very much doubt anyone in my block of flats has given the postie any sort of abuse, so I really can't see that's an excuse for the poor service we had for a while.. considering it seems to have improved it was either a new postie getting used to the job/route, a temp replacement for a regular postie on leave, or they were being slack and the complaint actually did get fed back to them so they bucked their ideas up. I can imagine it is a job that doesn't naturally motivate those in it!
Barty

Post by Barty »

I finally got an answer from Royal Mail today....who declared that what has happened is unacceptable, and that arrangements would be made for the manager of the local sorting office (Forest Hill, presumably, these days) to collect the large and ever-growing pile of misdelivered mail personally, and ensure that the situation is not repeated.

I wonder if the translation of that letter reads - the manager of the sorting office is now aware that the guy who lives at flat x, x road is a grumpy f****r and all postal delivery staff will now wipe their a**es on my mail before screwing it up and pushing it through my letterbox.....
multisync

Post by multisync »

Yeah probably!
Barty

Post by Barty »

3 letters for another property thru the letterbox today......
Andwar

Poor service from the Royal Mail

Post by Andwar »

Having reading the previous posts it seems to me that when they decided to close the Silverdale sorting office the quality of service has deteriated substainsally.

Since the beginning of December our usual postman seems to have been moved to another round and now it will be quicker for us to actually go to the sorting office and collect our own post, which might be the big plan to make the Royal Mail profitable.

I live in the Larwie Park Triangle and we used to get our post delivered early a.m, that is before 10 now we are lucky to get anything before 3pm. Either the delivery office is understaffed or it is just poor quality of staff. It's that old saying, you pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys.

I would hate to be running a business from home with this level of service from the Royal Mail. No wonder businesses are moving to private companies.

However, I am going to write to the Delivery Office Manager at Forest Hill because once he/she receives the complaint it has to be sent higher up the chain to the District Manager.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Best of luck with your complaints to Royal Mail.
See what happened to me.
http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3013

Ali B
admin
Site Admin

Re: Poor service from the Royal Mail

Post by admin »

Andwar wrote:I live in the Larwie Park Triangle and we used to get our post delivered early a.m, that is before 10 now we are lucky to get anything before 3pm.

I would hate to be running a business from home with this level of service from the Royal Mail. No wonder businesses are moving to private companies.
Live there, have a PO Box and do run business from home.

Not much of a problem. All my invoices now get emailed as PDF. More clients are paying by bank transfer and all correspondence is also by email. Not like 15 years ago. That's the rub, decline in use of the post leads to decline in service which leads to decline in use. Inevitably spiralling into oblivion.

Basically the only question left is how and when do you close it? We learnt how to do without the telegram boy and so, sadly, the post man. I guess the PO managers all know that too which must make working there doubly dispiriting.

Even delivery of my credit card is by courier. Looks like a good idea if AliB's experience is anything to go by ...

Admin
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Dean used to be our postman, around Lawrie Park Road.

Top bloke, always said hello, never a problem with the mail.

Since Silverdale closed, we have had a different postie, and whilst the friendliness is not as it was, we still get all our mail (I hope) delivered on time, without much aggro.

Labelling Royal Mail and Post Office staff as being illiterate, innumerate, thieving 'pikeys' is unfair and untrue.
Barty

Post by Barty »

fishcox wrote:Labelling Royal Mail and Post Office staff as being illiterate, innumerate, thieving 'pikeys' is unfair and untrue.
For me, it's not a case of labelling anyone anything. It's fighting to ensure that an organisation which has a legal duty to deliver mail to the correct address in a timely fashion does so.

No more, no less.

(And its a fight I should not have to be fighting either).
CATLADY

Royal Mail Deliveries

Post by CATLADY »

No wonder mail now arrives about five hours later than it used to... I had to pick up a parcel from Forest Hill Sorting early Saturday morning. As I drove in I saw three poor souls wrestling with their post trolleys( had to swerve to avoid one) .Did not click until later that they probably have to collect them from there and wheel them all the way to Sydenham town and surrounding areas to make deliveries!! Hate having to drive by the way where I used to stroll out to Sydenham Sorting.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I had three separate postal deliveries today (post, not parcels or recoreded delivery). Not complaining, because it's good to finally have post arrive at all.