Fed up of our Sainsburys

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
pocketpip

Fed up of our Sainsburys

Post by pocketpip »

I have felt ever since moving to Sydenham that our Sainsburys is seriously below-par. I have finally got round to writing to head office. these are the issues I have addressed. Do you agree? Anything to add?

19th January 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

I have decided to contact you after years of bad experiences of shopping in your Sydenham ‘hypermarket’ store.

I moved to Sydenham 2 years ago, and was immediately given a bad impression of the Sydenham Sainsbury’s, it was a disgrace in many ways. However, in February 2008 when I saw that a huge refurbishment was going on, I thought that things were bound to improve. Unfortunately the store is still completely sub-standard, despite the huge amount of money spent on it.

I have always seen Sainsbury’s as a pleasant shopping experience, and have not come across any other branch as bad as the Sydenham one. I used to live near the store in Paignton, which was clean, well-stocked and an all-round good shopping experience.

After the refurbishment, here are the things that are still going wrong in the Sydenham store:

• Shelves are constantly empty of stock, no matter what time or day you go. Every time I have been, there has been something on my shopping list which is out of stock. I was there on Saturday 27th January, at about 12pm, and there were no shallots at all- either organic or regular. This isn’t a one-off, the shelves constantly look half empty, the systems used for re-stocking obviously cannot cope with the size of the store.

• Internet shoppers: every time I go to the store, there seem to be so many staff doing the internet shopping orders that they are constantly getting in the way of regular customers. I haven’t experienced this at any other store.

• Birds: on several occasions I have seen birds flying around in the store- even more worrying with the new fresh food counters where food is out in the open.

• Carrier bags: despite the signs stating that from October 2008 customers will need to ask if they want a free carrier bag, tills always have carrier bags out- nothing has changed.

• Milk bag scheme: I bought into the new scheme of a re-usable container for which you could buy milk bags, which seemed like a great idea for saving on packaging, however, only twice since I bought this (about 5 months ago) have any semi-skimmed milk bags actually been in stock.

• Self-checkout: I am usually in store just to buy a basket full of items, and there no longer seem to be any basket-only aisles. I usually now head for the self-checkout, but they are very poorly staffed. On 17th January, I had to wait to 10 minutes before having to go and fetch someone to help me to authorise alcohol. It is also very frustrating that you cannot use your own bags without a member of staff having to log in, again, I always have to wait before being able to begin to pack my shopping.

All in all, this store is so badly managed, that every time I go there, I promise myself that I won’t go again. Unfortunately it gets away with it because it is the only large store locally, but I think you will find that as soon as there is any competition, shoppers will go elsewhere, as it is a very frustrating shopping experience.

Compared to most Sainsbury’s stores, this seems like another, much more downmarket supermarket.

I really hope that Head Office can look into this, and try to start improving this store.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Not much to add as I try and avoid it. My wife prefers Penge Sainsburys and Beckenham Waitrose is my favourite. But if its after 10pm one has very little alternative.

While there may not be much on the shelves there is rather more in the aisles. Trailers stacked high with boxes. These completely block some and make others difficult to navigate with a trolley. The staff are noticeably less friendly than Penge and the delicatessen doesn't seem to stock more despite the size. It is often closed completely.

The number and demeanour of the security staff is oppressive compared to Penge and Beckenham. Yet the only place we (my wife) has been attacked is Sydenham. Oh and the CCTV wasn't working so no help there.

I too have noticed the birds. But then you get those in a streetmarket so I don't fret. One good thing is the foreign exchange. Better rate than the Post Office.

PP
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

The self-checkout is my personal biggest gripe. I prefer to use the staffed check-out, if possible, as things like glue and alcohol need authorisation. Getting served for one or two items can take up 10-15 minutes.
And you are correct about the oppressive number of security staff. It really pi--es me off that whilst there seems to be a lack of check-out staff, there is a positive glut of security staff. Couldn't some of them be trained on the cash tills?
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Try the Forest Hill Sainsbury's. It makes the Sydenham store look like Harrods.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm the opposite. Me and my wife like the Sainsbury's and have never had a problem. We find the shelves are well stocked unless we go late in the day or on a Sunday afternoon.

We like the quality of Sainbury's good and find it an easy store to shop. It's well laid out and designed. I have never found bags left out and have asked for them if we need them.

I have always found the staff there to be rather friendly and I can't say I've noticed any birds in store (if my wife caught me looking she would kill me).

When some batteries were wrongly labeled on shelf the staff gave me a refund with no quibbles at all.

I think I must be going to a different store to everyone else.

Funnily enough the Sainbury's store is regarded by Head office as a flagship store and they use it for filming (although I have never seen anything going on there).

If you have any gripes with any brand such as Sainbury's it's definitely worth writing. They do read them and take notice. And Sainbury's own brand is quite good quality, especially their organic stuff, and they are one of the most ethical retailers out there.

Personally I'm glad we have a Sainbury's, much more preferable to Tesco, although I'd love a Waitrose in the high street. But then, that's just me (and my much better half).
simon

Post by simon »

I agree with some of your complaints about stock and staffing of self check outs. My biggest gripe is the priority given to lottery customers at the tobacco counter; you queue up for some cigarettes and when you get to the front of the queue someone waltzes up the lottery counter and gets served straightaway by the member of staff you thought was going to serve you. Very annoying.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

I prefer the Forest Hill Sainsburys more than the Sainsburys version. It is smaller, has pretty much one needs on a weekly shop (ok, dont have kids but not everyone has), and the staff are ok. Sometimes its abit busy in the evenings or lunchtime, but thats one of those things. The other one i prefer is the Crystal Palace branch. Went to the Savacentre, and just find it too big and unpersonal.
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

I prefer Forest Hill too. For a general weekly shop it does the job. Sydenham Sainsbury is a bit too big sometimes and does seem to sell out of stuff easily. Reasonable amount of free range chickens etc though which is good. Agree with Lee - a Tesco (or worse Asda) would be rubbish.
Barty

Post by Barty »

I spent five years living less than a mile from what was then West Yorkshire's biggest Asda and I miss it terribly. I have to go to Wallington or the Old Kent Road every few months to have my fix!

Savacentre does what it says on the tin. Its a bloody great big store that sells everything. If you're the kind of person who needs excellent customer service and even a friendly chat when you go shopping, you are probably best avoiding Sainsburys altogtether (and Tesco. And Asda. And Waitrose. And M&S. And definately Scummerfield).
Paddy Pantsdown

Barty wrote:If you're the kind of person who needs excellent customer service and even a friendly chat when you go shopping, you are probably best avoiding Sainsburys altogtether (and Tesco. And Asda. And Waitrose. And M&S. And definately Scummerfield).
I must leap to the defence of the Somerfield ladies. The same cheerful and chatty crew who have served me well under the Safeway, Morrissons, Somerfield and (hopefully) Co-op nameplates. They are the reason why it is still there.

I prefer Waitrose. But it is also good to be able to walk to a supermarket rather than drive. These ladies more than make up for the scruffiness of the store.

Anymore backchat about them Barty and I shall lay you waste with one of their excellent baguettes.

PP
Barty

Post by Barty »

Fair play. Scummerfield's biggest problem is usually an inferior ratio of checkout staff to queueing customers (why are half the tills permanently blocked off?!) rather than the staff themselves.

But don't mess, PP, I have just discovered that I can almost see the end of your road from my window. I shall lie in wait for you with my catapult and a bag of frozen peas. No person wielding a baguette will be safe between the Hilltop Cafe and the Christian Bookshop :D :P :D :P
Paddy Pantsdown

OK you caught me out on the bravado front. I would have to weld a Somerfield baguette to cause you serious damage. The same goes for Waitrose. Sainsbury's are harder. It is Tesco who take the biscuit for the most disgusting baguettes known to man. Midnight in Elmer's End Barty?

PP
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

I realise I am a thick old reactionary, and a bit dim

but could someone please reconcil these passionate discussions about supermarkets with the other posts complaining about lack of/quality of /variety of shops on Sydenham High Street?
Or even the one welcoming Tesco to Kirkdale?

Surely the use of one begets the lack of the other.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Yep, our biggest complaint about this place is that you can go one week and they have no... lets say Rooster potatoes... then three weeks later you're there looking at the same empty shelf with STILL no sign of re-stocking! That is SO frustrating!

One week recently we were there and there was some AWFUL music on, some meandering rubbish with no tune, and someone had obviously turned it up - I could see other people saying to each other that it was too loud and was terrible! It absolutely did my head in, and I couldn't believe they weren't told to turn it down. They should stick to music at low volume that isn't for such an limited set of people.

Unfortunately, being that I don't drive and I live near Savacentre (as it will always be to me), I do end up having to go there if I want a bit more choice - but I certainly don't enjoy it!!! And is it me, or are people feeling the same...? Shoppers certainly seem to be getting grumpier and grumpier in there!! :x