Crystal Palace c. 1918

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
CATLADY

Crystal Palace c. 1918

Post by CATLADY »

I am trying to find out more details about where both of my Welsh grandads were posted to Crystal Palace in 1918 ,although we do not know if their paths ever crossed. One of them was in the Royal Navy and he told my mother that during his time stationed in Crystal Palace they were put in submarines! (Is the lake that deep :D !) It would mean a lot to my family to find out more, as they are still in North Wales but I now live in the C Palace area -any ideas anyone?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Between 1914 and 1919 the Crystal Palace was commandeered by the Royal Navy, and officially called "HMS Victory". In 1915 the Palace and grounds were closed to the public.

According to Jan Piggott (Palace of the People, 2004) an extraordinary transformation took place: "the men slept in hammocks among the courts... The lakes were used for training in boats, and a battleship was marked out on the Terrace." The Royal Navy finally vacated the Palace at the beginning of 1920.
CATLADY

Crystal Palace c. 1918

Post by CATLADY »

Thanks for the information Steve. Was not that far wide of the mark about the lake then! My Sunday morning walks around it will have a whole new resonance!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Steve Grindlay wrote:Between 1914 and 1919 the Crystal Palace was commandeered by the Royal Navy, and officially called "HMS Victory". In 1915 the Palace and grounds were closed to the public.

According to Jan Piggott (Palace of the People, 2004) an extraordinary transformation took place: "the men slept in hammocks among the courts... The lakes were used for training in boats, and a battleship was marked out on the Terrace." The Royal Navy finally vacated the Palace at the beginning of 1920.

Just to add, it was designated "HMS Victory VI" (or colloquiolly known as "HMS Crystal Palace") and it was a training establishment. After the armistace it became a demob centre...
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Have you tried the Crystal Palace Museum or searched for their service records?