Incessant Chatter...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Try a bike. Cheaper and healthier (provided you watch out for white van drivers mobiling in any language).

PP
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Hmm, top deck of a 122 at 4pm when it's gone up Dartmouth Road and reached Cobbs Corner - what a pleasant journey that is!!! :?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes the modern earphones are part of the problem. The sound is directed in and out. The large old fashioned ear phones directed all the sound into the ear.
This is a major inconvenience. I suggest a blanket ban of all phones and MP3 players etc. Surely no journey is that long.
1515 hrs to 1700 hrs is bedlam thanks to our ex Mayors free tickets ( Why did not Stanley leave him in The DRC )
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Paddy Pantsdown wrote:Try a bike.
+1. Sydenham to London Bridge is, what, about 5 miles? Granted, it's hilly, but taking in a few hills on your commute means that you'll be even faster on the flat bits 8)
Annie

Re: Incessant Chatter...

Post by Annie »

Nickerbockers wrote:I need a rant... for the last three mornings, there is one particular woman who is on her mobile phone each morning, am i the only one it annoys?? :x
I agree with you, people should be more considerate.
paultreacy

English is the worst

Post by paultreacy »

When it's english it's the worst. Or whatever your native tongue is 'cause you're sucked into one half of the conversation, whether you like it or not.

It's time for a poster campaign on public transport.

Last week I asked a man to turn off the music playing loudly on his cell phone. It was pathetic. He was middle aged and acting like a teenager. He got very stroppy and simply sulked for the remainder of the journey. I'm sure his temperature was rising all the while.

Needless to say he didn't lower the volume. It was annoying everyone but no one else said anything.

I have to report that Brits are very sheepish. Why do you take it? I'm Irish and the Irish are the same but I've always challenged people when they are being needlessly unreasonable. Everyone needs to make a little effort, you know?

I don't mind teenagers at all. They're loud and obnoxious much of the time but they can be fun and interesting too. Besides, they know that grown ups are wary of them and that's most unfortunate. There has to be better dialogue.

I'm with you, Nickerbockers. I suggest you ask that woman to please stop what she's doing. You'll likely be doing many people a huge favour and some of them might even thank you but I'd be surprised.

SydenhamShots
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

People playing music out loud on their mobiles is just the worst. How on earth can anybody get aural pleasure from listening to something which sounds so crap. Not only is it the height of bad manners, but its probably the naffest thing you can do.

Telephone conversations are a difficult one. I turn my phone ringer off on the train, and then call people back at the end of my journey, unless its an emergency - but then I've never known anything that cant wait 10 minutes to be talked about.

Maybe people who do the talking loud on telephones on trains are a bit insecure, and want everyone to know how popular they are. Whenever I've had the misfortune to have to listen to someone, their conversations are so banal anyway.

I listen to my music on trains and tubes, but not at an excessive level (do people realise what damage is being done to their ear drums at such a high volume ? - t'aint natural).

When I first moved to Sydenham in '85, I lived in the NatWest Halls of residence on Lawrie Park Road (now, erm, sadly no more) and groups of us would travel into town together. Because we all knew each other, there would be loads of conversations going on, which must have been totally weird for people who were already on the train, which had previously been quiet up to Sydenham. I reckon those on the train must have thought that Sydenham was a particularly friendly place, where everyone knew each other.

Paul, I think its good that you challenge people who are being unreasonable. I reckon most people dont because they 'cant be arsed' and, when you are constantly bombarded with stories of violence and stabbings, they think its not worth the confrontation.

The attitude of the British on trains is supposed to be summed up by the story of the couple on a packed train who tried to shock everyone by having sex in the open carriage. No one batted an eyelid, even as they reached a climactic crescendo.

Then they lit a post coital cigarette, and all hell let loose....
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

fishcox wrote:People playing music out loud on their mobiles is just the worst. How on earth can anybody get aural pleasure from listening to something which sounds so crap. Not only is it the height of bad manners, but its probably the naffest thing you can do.
It's nothing to do with the quality of the sound. It's done to get a reaction, idiots with MP3 phones WANT confrontation... it's all part of the image.
nork1

Post by nork1 »

fishcox wrote:Paul, I think its good that you challenge people who are being unreasonable. I reckon most people dont because they 'cant be arsed' and, when you are constantly bombarded with stories of violence and stabbings, they think its not worth the confrontation.
I used to but after being punched in the mouth once, getting into a fight on the another occasion and having someone try to set fire to me on a 202 I stopped.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Now that I have a young family the most important thing is self preservation and so I tend to tolerate as best I can. But I always try to be polite and appeal to peoples better nature.

It's such a pity, isn't it, that people would rather natter such inconsequential bullshit on cell phones and annoy their fellow commuters instead of sitting quietly and enjoying a book or simply thinking. Not enough thinking goes on these days. We'd all be so much better off if we would just allow ourselves some time, from time to time, to just think. To reflect. To mull over our lives and decisions. Seems obvious to me that a short train journey is a perfect place to sit (or stand) and simply go internal for a while.

As far as we know we're the only creatures capable of thinking, right? We should all do it a lot more often. Thinking for the sake of thinking. Nothing like having a good think, right?

Now, don't think about it, just go and visit SydenhamShots
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Nork, if you think that people with MP3 phones want a confrontation, then I'd say its a no brainer to leave them alone.

I agree that we should take more time out and think more; address our 'spiritual' side a bit more.

I'm not particularly religious - and believe that most organised religion is the cause of most of the worlds problems - but I'd prefer to see people with religious role models, instead of us becoming obsessed with money, materialism and celebrity.

Still, we brought it on ourselves.

This thread is in danger of veering off course (or track)[/quote]
nork1

Post by nork1 »

fishcox wrote:Nork, if you think that people with MP3 phones want a confrontation, then I'd say its a no brainer to leave them alone.
I do. I was responding to generally unreasonable behaviour.
The 3 incidents I mentioned where I intervened on what I considered unreasonable behaviour were:

1) 68 Upper Norwood - bloke refused to pay his fare, bus driver switched the engine off leaving a bus full of passengers waiting. Neither would back down so I offered to pay the fare just to get moving. Result: punch in the face, ended up walking.
2) 202 Catford - no seats available so I had to sit at the back where a group of 'yoofs' were sitting. They took this as an invasion of their privacy space. Result: Verbals, threats, lighter held against the back of my jacket until it caught fire, ended up walking before anything more serious happened.
3) 75 Lewisham - Got on the bus, bloke behind me started shoving in an effort to get to the stairs. Obviously not happy with this I asked him to stop. Result: Fight, smack in the face, scar under eye where a sovereign ring cut my face. Ended up walking after driver switched the engine off.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Regarding the music played out loud, I was subjected to... I won't say what sort of music, but it was crap... on the 202 last night. A man in probably his 40s with a phone and apparently no headphones (how strange they can never afford to buy headphones eh?) playing out his music at the FRONT of the top deck for all to 'enjoy'. I must admit I deliberately paid absolutely no attention - specially when I saw him flick his eyes to me a few times when I sat down, I reckon hoping for a dirty look off me! He didn't get one! Though when I and everyone else ignore people like this, it doesn't make me feel I've got one over on them, it just makes me feel like they've won - like they can be confident of being as obnoxious as possible in public and nobody will reproach them about it!

The talking on phones, I don't mind a normal quick chat at a low volume, I had a call last night on my mobile whilst on the train, my Estate Agent updating me on stuff, to which I replied a few sentences and the call was over... it's the non-stop conversations which get me... add to that the same person doing it every day and it does get highly aggravating!! All I can say is a lot of people have a very generous tarriff (they just don't realise that doesn't mean they HAVE to be on their phone 24-7). :roll:
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

nork1 wrote:
fishcox wrote:Nork, if you think that people with MP3 phones want a confrontation, then I'd say its a no brainer to leave them alone.
2) 202 Catford - no seats available so I had to sit at the back where a group of 'yoofs' were sitting. They took this as an invasion of their privacy space. Result: Verbals, threats, lighter held against the back of my jacket until it caught fire, ended up walking before anything more serious happened.
quote]

Goodness me, you're not allowed at the back of the bus unless you're a 15 year old hoodie - please remember that, they rule the back seats of buses.

What horrible experiences though, you poor thing. :(
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Nork, I commiserate with you mate, sounds like you've had quite a few crap experiences.

I dont catch the bus that often, other than getting it to Forest Hill on a Friday evening. Even a short trip like that has thrown up some pretty weird characters.

Definitely not ones for eye contact.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

I've learnt that buses generally attract more scum, so I try to avoid them.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

This is all very depressing. My sincere wishes to those who have suffered
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I regularly challenge people who are flagrently acting in an antisocial/criminal way. Its a society of cowards that permit this stuff to happen in front of their very eyes. Obviously, some days very low-level stuff doesn't particularly annoy me and I'd rather not intervene. However, I'd always challenge behaviour if I saw others were clearly being bothered.

If I tell someone off on a train 9/10 times they will stop their activity. But if I make the decision to intervene there is only going to be one of 2 outcomes: They are stopping, or they are getting off.* You can't back down once you've made the approach.

*or, I suppose, I'm getting killed.
crimson1

Post by crimson1 »

Paultreacy wrote:
"It's such a pity, isn't it, that people would rather natter such inconsequential bullshit on cell phones and annoy their fellow commuters instead of sitting quietly and enjoying a book or simply thinking. Not enough thinking goes on these days. We'd all be so much better off if we would just allow ourselves some time, from time to time, to just think. To reflect. To mull over our lives and decisions. Seems obvious to me that a short train journey is a perfect place to sit (or stand) and simply go internal for a while.
As far as we know we're the only creatures capable of thinking, right? We should all do it a lot more often. Thinking for the sake of thinking. Nothing like having a good think, right? "

What a lovely thought Paultreacy. I agree we don't use our precious time on buses/queueing to just zone out, reflect and take a chill pill. Certainly some of the angry people mentioned on this thread could have done with some serious chilling out.
bozax

Post by bozax »

I regularly challenge people who are flagrantly acting in an antisocial/criminal way

my hero!
trouble is the result is not always what you'd expect.
i asked a youth to turn his mobile speaker music off, hey surprise surprise he told me where to go,then had the front to threaten me(he was about 16 ish)when i responded the next thing i know i had half the train having a go at me for picking on the poor lad ,please!
on another occasion on a 75 to croydon a group of about 5-6 were
1)playing some very offensive music loudly
2)smoking what looked and smelt like a joint
3)throwing things at others (i got hit with a lid of a drinks bottle) that was it
i asked them to turn the music off.and warned them not to throw things at me and was told in no uncertain terms to ef off.
i went down stairs and tried to tell the driver but he di dn't want to know.
now this isn't uncommon ,i've done my bit but now iam dissillusioned and can't be botheed