Incessant Chatter...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Nickerbockers

Incessant Chatter...

Post by Nickerbockers »

I need a rant... for the last three mornings, there is one particular woman who is on her mobile phone each morning for the whole of the journey talking in Indian! WHY?? What on EARTH can she have to talk about at silly o'clock that it's the whole journey and every day!???

There's a new trend starting, people shouting into mobile phones on early morning trains in foreign languages... it's SOOOO annoying, am I the only one it annoys?? :x
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

What language is "Indian" when it's at home?
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Hindi? Would you be happier if it was Welsh or Gaelic? Would other EU languages be only semi-annoying? What language do you use when abroad?

PP
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Okay, here we go... I am not being racist if anyone thinks I am!!! :roll:
I find it annoying in English too, but it's just worse when you can't understand anything that's being said. And I truley don't understand why there's so much to talk about so early in the morning!?? Sorry if that offends anyone... :?
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

bensonby wrote:What language is "Indian" when it's at home?
Apologies for my ignorance, I just don't know from which particular region of India the language she was speaking originates...
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Might I suggest a few relaxation techniques? Or an i-pod?
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Outrageous. Tell her in no uncertain terms that eavesdroppers have the right to be irritated and disgusted in their own language - the selfish bitch has NO business talking crap in anything other than English.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Oh come ON people!!! Why am I getting all this abuse because I'm saying that sitting on my morning train, shattered and dreading work I'm a bit peeved at people speaking on mobile phones the whole journey! And yes I mentioned that it seems to often be in a different language, can you honestly say that you don't find it more annoying when it's in a langauge you don't understand?? When did I say nobody is allowed to talk a different language in England???

I give up, it seems I'm being branded prejudiced or racist anyway - obviously I'm not allowed to have an opinion if it's deemed un-PC! Sorry.
nork1

Post by nork1 »

Thinking about it I'd rather not understand what's being said. Have you ever got on a 122 from Lewisham on a school afternoon? Not only do schoolkids (mostly girls) talk complete and utter crap but the volume is ear shattering. Innit.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Yes Nork1, you're absolutely right. Rather the train than the bus anyday...
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I find it fairly odd it's the language that bothers you? Anyone shouting is annoying regardless of what language it's spoken in.

I suggest you buy some in-the-ear headphones, play something nice, close your eyes & drift away pretending you are on a beach somewhere.

Alternatively buy one of these (illegal probably so I'm not advising it but damn I'm tempted)

http://www.electrosupermarket.co.uk/ran ... 85313.html
Last edited by Ronski on 28 Jan 2009 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I do find people chattering away on phones on the train annoying, however I'm the opposite - I find that I can switch off from a foreign language conversation much more easily than I can ignore someone speaking in English.

Has anyone else noticed that Southern's LED info screens in the train now request passengers to keep mobile phone conversations and MP3 player noise to a minimum? Most people seem to take no notice. Where MP3 players are concerned, I think that Apple are partly responsible for a lot of the noise; they supply poor quality earphones with all their iPods, earphones leak far more noise than better quality ones which have seals.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

if it's that annoying you could politely ask them (on teh train or the bus) to quieten down a little...
nork1

Post by nork1 »

In the ear headphones is the way to go. Napalm's pretty effective too.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I totally agree Chazza, I sometimes want to beg people who have ipods to buy a decent pair of headphones, the ones that come with them are immensely rubbish & noisy.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

See, that's what's happened... everyone is looking at the language part. I did also say in that first email that it's at 'silly o'clock' and for the 'whole journey', two elements that I find highly annoying so no it's not just about the language...

Anyway, praps I'm just premenstrual - I'd keep clear!!! :twisted:

But honestly, I wasn't being racist or prejudiced...
nork1

Post by nork1 »

bensonby wrote:if it's that annoying you could politely ask them (on teh train or the bus) to quieten down a little...
What planet do you live on??! Have you ever TRIED that? A knife in the gut is probably one of the more polite responses.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

nork1 wrote:
What planet do you live on??! Have you ever TRIED that? A knife in the gut is probably one of the more polite responses.
yes of course I have. Because I am a reasonable human being and most other people in the world are reasonable human beings and if you politely ask someone to do something (reasonable) then they would normally do it.
nork1

Post by nork1 »

An interesting theory. Try it on the top deck of a 122. :shock:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

nork1 wrote:An interesting theory. Try it on the top deck of a 122. :shock:
alright, next time I see someone doing something antisocial on a bus I'll politely ask them to cease and desist.

What is wrong with society when society's grown-ups are scared of their children?