CLASSIC line...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Nickerbockers

CLASSIC line...

Post by Nickerbockers »

This announcement made my morning today; "I am sorry to regret that the 7.02 train is running 11 hours late"... I think it made everyone else's morning too, we were all freezing cold and fed up but we all had to laugh at that one!!! Well done BR, CLASSIC!!!!

... Specially as it turned up about 20 minutes later... :lol: :lol: :lol:
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Ha brilliant!

One thing that really bugs me about those announcements is the "I am sorry for the delay to your journey..." No your not, your a robot voice, you are not an 'I'. They should change it to "We" meaning the company, it would sound a little bit more genuine.

Rant over!

G-man
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I've always thought that too G-Man!
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

yes me too. When it says "I am sorry for the delay to your journey ..." I always shout back "no you're not". Yes! I communicate aggressively with a loud speaker system. Which unfortunately makes me sound like a mentalist to the other passengers. But it is so annoying.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Yeah but someone's still got to press the button that activates that announcement. If we really couldn't care less we wouldn't do that either.

A lot of rail staff get to work by train. We've been there too, stood on a platform waiting for a delayed train.

We actually do know how it feels.
Barty

Re: CLASSIC line...

Post by Barty »

Nickerbockers wrote: Well done BR
BR?

Who are they?
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

I'm so fed up with people picking me up on minor points of my posts... okay so maybe BR (by which you KNOW ]I mean British Rail) is not the correct term - well I dunno, 'well done Southern' then!? WHATVER!!

The fact is, I thought it was a funny remark and wasn't getting at anyone, it was nice to have a laugh in those difficult circumstances. That's all I'm saying... :roll:
Barty

Post by Barty »

Awwww sorry Nickerbockers, wasn't meaning to get at you.

As a rail employee, someone mentioning BR is a funny remark too :D

<<<pssst.....between you and me....a lot of us rail staff wish BR was still with us.....but don't tell anyone I said that>>> :lol: :lol:
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

It's easy to take emails the wrong way isn't it?

I meant it as a funny remark actually - I knew what I was talking about, REALLY!!! :wink:

BTW, any idea why an announcer would say that a train is delayed by 11 hours?? Why don't they say it's cancelled, or delayed and wait for further announcements? Strikes me as very strange... :?
Barty

Post by Barty »

Without either (a) getting so technical as to bore you stupid or (b) revealing commercially sensitive info that could get me into heap big trouble, there's not really an explanation I can give you, beyond the fact that it was a fault with our computer system that plays the announcements!

Not much of an answer, really. :( Sorry :(
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

<<<pssst.....between you and me....a lot of us rail staff wish BR was still with us.....but don't tell anyone I said that

So does the rest of the UK,
Are you advocating re-nationalisation? Is this current opinion among railway staff [ working class section naturally]? :)
I think we should be told.
For myself I am just waiting for Eurostar and SNCF to get working so I can go home to the warm.

Meanwhile I shall nip up to the Blue Mountain and see if they have the Daily Mail.
Barty

Post by Barty »

catscratch wrote:Are you advocating re-nationalisation? Is this current opinion among railway staff [ working class section naturally]? :)
I couldn't possibly comment :lol: :wink: :lol: :lol: