Urgent software assistance needed.

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ALIB

Urgent software assistance needed.

Post by ALIB »

I bought a Medion Netbook yesterday and didn't read the smallprint on the box thoroughly enough. I wanted a recent version of microsoft office pre-instlled on it, but it comes with Office X3 (Coral & Word perfect).

I have an original copy of microsoft office on CD, but the new Netbook doesn't have a CD-ROM drive, it only has USB ports (& others).
It has a 1GB RAM and 80 GB hard drive and comes with Windows XP (home edition) already installed.

Can anyone out there advise me (or better still, show me) how to get my Microsoft office stuff onto the Netbook over this weekend? Please PM me and we'll chat. There'll be beers in it for anyone who can help

If not, it goes back in the box and back to the shop.

Ali B
TimA

Post by TimA »

Get a USB CD drive prehaps - might be handy to have if you've got a lot of CDs alreadt or need to backup from the netbook?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... j6ukng0w_e
SydenhamHillAndy

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

Hi Alib,

As long as you have a license key you should be able to find the media somewhere on the internet. That wouldn't be breaking any rules but it may take a while to download. A search for Office 2003 (or whatever version you have) plus "iso" and "download" would probably find it. Make sure you trust the source though.

It would also be legitimate to use a piece of file-sharing software like limewire or e-donkey for this. You have a valid key, you just need the software.

If you have an urgent need to write a document that can be saved as a .doc file you could use Google Docs online which would allow you to manipulate the file like a Word document. I believe that this can now be used without an internet connection too and is free.

If you explain which version of Office you have a license key for you may find someone on here who would let you have their cd.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Thanks Tim. I have a few pen drives, it's just the actual process of getting the software onto the notebook that i need help with.

Ali B
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

You need to beg steal or borrow an external CD drive. You can pick one up for under 20 quid.

Does it have to be MS Office? OpenOffice is available to download free and (as far as I know) is pretty much compatible with the MS stuff, e.g., I don't have PowerPoint but I can use OpenOffice Impress to do the same things with PowerPoint presentations.

www.openoffice.org
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Thaks for your help, but the notepad isn't clagged up to the internet, so i am still left with the fundamental problem of getting Microsoft office onto the notebook via the USB port.

Unless i am missing something, as i am a complete thicky with computers. Percussive maintenance is usually the way forward with me.
Now i can't even mind my disc and code,..it'll be around somewhere.

I'm starting to think returning the notebook would be a good idea...
ALi B
Barty

Post by Barty »

TimA and Nork have the best idea I would say. You need to get yourself an external CD ROM drive with a USB connection. You'll be able to install MS Office off your original disks then (and anything else off any other disks you've got hanging around)
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i will rescue you next week ali.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Thanks LC. Please don't load the hard drive up with p0rn like you did last time. The missus doesn't really appreciate that kind of humour.

Check your PMs

Ali B
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

come on, it was a laugh though.

what do you mean PMs?

i don't even have a womb.