What sort of pub would you like the Greyhound to be?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

To my wishlist I'd add a carvery on a Sunday.

Hardly any pubs do that any more in London (correct me if I'm wrong!).
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely the idea of a carvery with unloimited food if=s hardly to be encouraged with our epidemic of obesity
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Carverys aren't unlimited, you go up with your plate and choose what you want from a selection of meats and veg.

It just means you have more choice.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Still tends to be quite big portions ( I am sure used to be unlimietd when they started , but I am getting old )

A pub without fruit or other machines plus if posible no mobiles and of course excellent ales
Ginge

Post by Ginge »

One serving of meat, unlimited servings of veg.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

No servings of meat, sod the veg. Beer.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

There's a bar called Jam Circus in Brockley (Brockley Road or Rise) which is exactly the sort of bar the Greyhound should be. Nice leather sofas, 'chilled' atmosphere, nice food ... perfect complement to the Dolphin at the other end of the high street.

People who like TVs and Juke Boxes and things can go to the Two Halves. Everyone catered for. Done.
nork1

Post by nork1 »

There's a pub called the Hob in Forest Hill and a pub called the Alma in Crystal Palace which are exactly the sort of pub the Greyhound should be. Comedy nights, live bands, screens for sports... perfect contrast to the Dolphin at the other end of the high street.

People who don't particularly like drinking but like tealights, eating in restaurants and things can go to the Dolphin. Everyone catered for. Done.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

That was quite amusing nork1. Can't beat a little bit of sarcasm! I actually quite like the Hob. I'm not a big fan of TVs in pubs - they're really distracting; although I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I'll watch my favourite team if their on. But, still, I think they're a pain for those that aren't interested - and they can spoil the atmosphere.
nork1

Post by nork1 »

sydenhamboy wrote:I'm not a big fan of TVs in pubs - they're really distracting; although I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I'll watch my favourite team if their on. But, still, I think they're a pain for those that aren't interested - and they can spoil the atmosphere.
Each to their own. I'm not a fan of pubs that concentrate on food. Trying to enjoy a pint when the pub smells like something resembling boil in the bag fish does nothing for me.
stuart

Post by stuart »

The point of any pub is to be unlike the others. I enjoy the Dolphin for its ... err ... middle class ambience. I like the Golden Lion as a proper boozer with jazz & blues. I liked the old Greyhound despite its plastic beer and dodgy clientele because (not wishing to pay Rupert's shilling directly) it was nice to wonder down and cheer on your team on the big screen on a sunny day.

The two half's somehow hasn't recaptured the spirit of the old Greyhound. Not sure a modern building can be pleasantly seedy like an old one.

Stuart
yay!gosydenham!

Post by yay!gosydenham! »

simon wrote:I was in the Woodman on Tuesday and it had one customer at around 9.30, who left after I arrived.
Who's going to tell him;-)

Only , joking, Simon....

My background is arts and entertainment and I totally agree that Sydenham needs a pub that provides regular good gritty entertainment. It needs a pub with a function room catering for people who appreciate good music, comedy, film, drama groups, workshops and so on. I'm thinking of starting a film club but may have to go to Forest Hill for lack of a pub with a function room. (Any suggestions welcome). Does anyone else think this would be brilliant or am I on my own here?! (the events just wouldn't be the same if I was on my own in the audience!!)

By the way, what Weatherspoons is doing 'right' is that they are a huge company who can afford to put other pubs out of business by providing cheap beer and food. But as is always the case, it is at the expense (in my view) of atmosphere and individuality. The Dartmouth and The Dolphin and The Bridge have real character about them and attract an interesting crowd.. if that's your bag. A pub like any of these with a function room and I'd be organising a load of events for us all.

Love to hear what you think..
simon

Post by simon »

Yes Yay!, have developed a skill in emptying most venues :D

Seriously though, you are dead right and only the Golden Lion is really suitable for music.
The Greyhound had a decent room but its unlikely to offer one again.
They have "turns" in the Alfred occasionally, but its very small and in the middle of the bar.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

It'd be great to have all of those things Yay, comedy night & film club get my vote.
yay!gosydenham!

Ok well let's play hunt the room!

Or if the new owners of the Greyhound read this, take heed! And get in touch! You have enthusiastic, skilled people and a niche to be filled!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I'm thinking outside the box, Yay!, but what about the Dolphin's garden? They have previously done theatre out there and with the better weather coming and some organisation the outside space could be a good venue for comedy/films etc?
parklife

Post by parklife »

Golden lion has a big room at the back next to the beer garden
yay!gosydenham!

Well thank you both... Ronski also suggested the Dolphin's garden. The risk is the weather isn't it but I'll do my all important research and have a pint or two there as part of my research and have a look around. I've worked in comedy a lot and so know straight off that outdoor comedy events can be difficult (too light, too noisey, possibility of rain etc) but if I take a leaf from your book and think outside the box there may well be a way. I've not been in the Golden Lion.. but will definitely have a look at the room there. Do you think it's the right place for a venture like this? let me know and thanksf or the tips..