memories of sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
nannyjacks

memories of sydenham

Post by nannyjacks »

Does anyone remember the antique/junk shop that was in the cul-de-sac by the exit of Sydenham Station if you were coming from London It was full of facinating stuff and had an ashtray stand that was dressed as a butler by the door.Also the Jones the flower shop on the bridge .I remember a lorry 's brakes failing, (the driver had apparently gone to take a leak in the loos by the station) and going through the shop window killing a passerby who was wheeling his bike up the hill.I think it was about 1957-8
budweiser

Jones the florist

Post by budweiser »

Hi Nannyjacks, My aunt Sue used to manage Jones the Florists in the late sixties early seventies, Mr Jones was a miserable old sod she used to say.! :D
That was back when i used to live in Elvino Road, I lived there between 1962 and 1973, used to love the place and had quite a few mates there then.
On the other side of the road on the bridge was a doctors surgery, one of the doctors was called Dr Dhanghi (spelling), My Mum used to be a receptionist there. :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The Surgery still there and from outside looks like it peobably did 35 years ago.
Hope better in side.
Do not think one of Sydenham's most popular surgeries
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

It always was a dump inside and out Eagle! I remember the Doctor smoking in the surgery, try and get away with that now! :shock:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I did hear that newcomers to Sydenham wanting a GP are just given that surgery because the others are so popular.
This is only what I have heard and my not be true.
multisync

Post by multisync »

We are going off the subject here Sydenham road used to be a great high street,better than f.hill,used to come down here as a teenager in the 60's lots to look at sainsburys then big woolworths used to be a shop n the right hand side near lidl's that used to sell shoes really cheap I think they were uncollected repairs,not sure though!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I would venture to state still better than Forest Hill , but that is not saying very much
Forest Hill centre shops must be some of the worst in Londinium
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

As you came down sydenham hill from the station, didn`t Woolworths used to be on the left hand side?
I remember the pick n mix counter and the wooden floorboards.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Yes Woolworths was great back in those days of pick and mix and loose biscuits from tins with glass lids,probably would not be allowed in this day and age! Then unfortunately Woolies got filled out with toys,cd's and childrens clothing.
Christhom

Post by Christhom »

Eagle wrote:The Surgery still there and from outside looks like it peobably did 35 years ago.
Hope better in side.
That is my surgery and Dr Dhanji (i think) was my Dr. Followed by Dr Ahmad who, I heard, was deported ! They started out in Tannsfeld Rd. And no it's not nicer inside though it used to be worse.

I remember Woolworth's because the floor had a strange slope which Superdrug eliminated.
When the shoeshop closed they left behind mounds of old stock.
I notice the old Sainsbur'ys marble facia is slowly reappearing.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Dont worry when it reappears in its entirety it will get knocked out and replaced by some sort of plastic rubbish
Christhom

Post by Christhom »

multisync wrote:Dont worry when it reappears in its entirety it will get knocked out and replaced by some sort of plastic rubbish
In the 70's, I believe, a piece ot the vertical marble facia there came away and fell on someone! I still remember the blood on the pavement.
Mind you in '87 venturing out for batteries in the 'Hurricane' I was almost decapitated by the the flying plastic Fads facia that had been torn loose fron the very same shopfront !!
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

Christhom wrote:
Eagle wrote:The Surgery still there and from outside looks like it peobably did 35 years ago.
Hope better in side.
That is my surgery and Dr Dhanji (i think) was my Dr. Followed by Dr Ahmad who, I heard, was deported ! They started out in Tannsfeld Rd. And no it's not nicer inside though it used to be worse.

I remember Woolworth's because the floor had a strange slope which Superdrug eliminated.
When the shoeshop closed they left behind mounds of old stock.
I notice the old Sainsbur'ys marble facia is slowly reappearing.
Hi Christhom, Dr Dhanji and Dr Ahmed were at the surgery together when my Mum was a receptionist there.
I heard that there were`allegedly` certain allegations about Dr Ahmed which is possibly why he was `possibly`deported. :roll:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes I heard 2 incidents from friends who were patients. Very sad
Christhom

Post by Christhom »

Eagle wrote:Yes I heard 2 incidents from friends who were patients. Very sad
Sad indeed. I really liked Dr Ahmad ! I did hear tales of little girls (allegedly) sitting on his knees.
As I recall it was Originally Dr Dhanji and Dr Tees in Tannsfeld Rd.
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

I think both doctors must have been there together in about 1965/66 so i would have been 4 or 5 years old then. I remember going in for the polio vaccination which was put onto a sugar lump but i vomited it up so had to have the injection! :D
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

This is sort of for pip and budwesier:

It's about the old Dylon factory that was on Berrymans Lane. You mentioned pip that it then became a carpet place and was left to rot [which is when I came upon it] before being abandoned and subsequently razed to the ground with new-build development taking it's place.

My question is how did this Dylon factory differ from the much larger one at Bell Green? By the 'larger one' I mean the one on Worsley Bidge Road by Lower Sydenham train station. Was this larger one an important local employer for people down in the depths of deepest darkest Lower Sydenham? Or do we call this area Bell Green? It is also literally on the border of New Beckenham with the river Pool being the dividing line here.

Anyway , an interesting parallel may be about to be drawn. A company selling off end-of-line Laura Ashley and M&S furniture moved into the larger Dylon factory. They are now closing down and it will be re-developed as homes. To be honest I quite like the development that is now on Berrymans Lane, hopefully the one on Worsley Bridge Road will be better than what surrounds it currently.

This was they *:

http://www.trade-secret.co.uk/index.php

* Is that even English?
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

Cheers Ulysses for the post, i used to walk up Berrymans Lane on my way to school at Adamsrill and used to pick up the little silver tins of dye spilt on the road and get my hands all stained from the ones that had split! :>
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

Was Whites pet shop on the corner of Girton Road? I remember they used to have a slab of Horse meat on the counter which used to make me gag when i went into the shop with my Nan.