Second Hand Bike

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
girl_canuck

Second Hand Bike

Post by girl_canuck »

Hi everyone! My 25 minute walk to Penge East in the morning is becoming tiresome.... so I'm thinking of cycling to the station. I don't want to spend hundreds on a new bike, but I don't want an old clunker either. Does anyone know of anywhere around here that sells second hand bikes?

I'm a bit nervous of buying a bike on Gumtree as I've heard lots of stories of some of them being stolen bikes :?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi,

I'm selling an dutch style bike, although it's a largish frame.

It's a very very good quality bike. I paid £150 for it last year but bought a Pashley style bike which i fell in love with instead.

If you are interested please pm me.
TimA

Post by TimA »

I just bought a new bike for £117 from Halfords in Brixton. It's a bit crap to be fair but it'll probably get pinched soon like my old one so I didn't want to pay too much. I gets me to work and back though so I can't complain. I got a hybrid but there are MTBs there for £89. We've bought a bike 2nd hand off Gumtree before and it was rubbish.
pocketpip

Post by pocketpip »

Keep an eye on the East Dulwich forum- 2nd hand bikes often coming up on there for really good prices!
Chazza

Re: Second Hand Bike

Post by Chazza »

girl_canuck wrote:My 25 minute walk to Penge East in the morning is becoming tiresome.... so I'm thinking of cycling to the station. I don't want to spend hundreds on a new bike
Have you considered a pair of rollerblades?
girl_canuck

Post by girl_canuck »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! And thanks, leenewham, but I need a small frame (bordering on 'youth' sized) as I'm a bit of a shorty! But I'll go check out the East Dulwich forums and the Halfords in Brixton - sounds like they could be good bets!

Chazza - I've tried rollerblades. No one would be safe. Especially if there were a bit of a hill and no grassy bank at the bottom! :lol:
mosy

Post by mosy »

As mentioned in several threads, bikes are very nickable. An abandoned one was sitting in our car park for two or three months (gone now) which presumably was nicked. Aside from getting a sturdy chain, many peeps completely remove (i.e. take indoors) the front wheel so the bike at least can't be ridden away.

Check out your home contents insurance also, as some policies don't cover bikes even if in outhouses and some do on payment of an extra option premium. It was noted last year in some parts of the country that burglars were unscewing garage door hinges (easier than jemmying a padlock) so all are advised to ensure hinge screws are set on the inside face of the door.

Sorry no help about make - some are an awful lot heavier than others so if you are a slight person, a lighter weight secondhand one (if you can get one) might be better for you than a shiny new heavy one.