Stuff to do in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
SydenhamSister

Stuff to do in Sydenham

Post by SydenhamSister »

I'm moving over from Kent soon, I've lived in Catford/Forest Hill/Sydenham before, but I'd be grateful for tips on anything about the area. I'm so cut off in Kent that my life has ground to a halt, I'm hoping to get it moving again when I'm back in Sydenham. Any advice on places to do sports (leisure centres or classes), places to get bar-work, amateur dramatic groups etc?? I'll be living off Lawrie Park Road and I don't drive so local places are best for me.

Thanks. :D
stuart

Post by stuart »

Welcome back!

Well tonight for the artsy a new photograph exhibition opens tonight at the Kirkdale Gallery (Bookshop) 6:30 onwards. Meanwhile for the the community minded there is the Sydenham Regeneration meeting in the Narborhood Centre at 7pm. For the dramatic you might want to try St George's Players in Vancouver Road (do a forum search for a link to their excellent website).

As you may have gathered from other threads - sophisticated drinking/eating is not a Sydenham speciality - but the Darty Arms in Forest Hill is a pleasant walk away - at least it allows you to go 'over the limit' for your return. They also have a private car park (just remember to ask for a token to get out!).

Sorry, I have been delinquent in keeping the Diary up to date - as of others for keeping me updated - but I will try and sort it out but there is just too much to do in Sydenham ;-)

Stuart (also just off Lawrie Park Road)
SydenhamSister

Stuff to do

Post by SydenhamSister »

Thanks Stuart. What road are you in, I'm gonna be in Border Road? I thought I'd also do some voluntary work at St Christopher's - I can't get much more local than that, filling in forms at the moment. :) Looking forward to being back in Sunny Sydenham.
stuart

Post by stuart »

LP Gardens - we back onto Border Road (or the 'Land of Leylandia' as we call it). If you check the SydenCam you can just make it out at the end of the garden ... and its raining right now!

Stuart
Ella

Post by Ella »

Again, welcome back.

If you are sporty there is Sydenham Tennis & Croquet Club in Lawrie Park road. Very active tennis, squash and croquet sections. LA Fitness at Cobbs Corner, the Bridge (which is a Council run sports centre with swimming pool, gym etc) and of course Crystal Palace.

If you want to be involved in the local area join the Sydenham Society, they publish a quarterly newsletter which keeps you up-to-date with local events, what the Council is up to etc.
SydenhamSister

Post by SydenhamSister »

That's really helpful, thanks Ella. I will look into the tennis and squash place in Lawrie Park Road, and will check out the Sydenham Society site. Thanks again.