Windmill Pub, Kirkdale

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
marianne

Windmill Pub, Kirkdale

Post by marianne »

Anyone noticed the 'For Sale' notice outside the Windmill pub? Hope it doesn't go the same way as the Woodman! :cry:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Oh No this is tragic if true. By far the best pub in upper Sydenham.

Recently got a new chef and Sunday lunches and meals some weekdays. Food great and so is the beer.

Please do not bracket with the Woodman which has been a dive for 20 plus years
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

was kind of expecting this, it's a nice big place but always empty.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

How's about an emergency/flash mob Syd Forum meeting in there tonight to buy up some beer stocks?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not tonight. But I could make saturday night about 8pm if someone is buying :wink:

Admin
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

To be honest I wouldn't be sad to see it go. Over the past few months it has got worse and worse in there and chucking out time has got noisier and noisier. On Wednesday there was a massive fight outside - I saw one poor guy getting kicked in the head. The police came along and I hope they gave them a warning about the future conduct of their customers. This is not something you want on your doorstep!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Very sorry to hear about the incidents. Guess the old clientelle from The Woodman going in now.
I have never seen any problems but never there past 9 ish.

Please someone say it will not close.
marianne

Post by marianne »

Another big fight in there on Friday night apparently! The Windmill could be a lovely pub if they went slight upmarket - put in some nice furniture, e.g. sofas, armchairs etc., and put up the prices. It could be the nicest pub around the Kirkdale area.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What a great shame. Person in charge 2 weeks ago really impressed.

I agree fights in or outside totally unacceptable and I hope the culprits are spending time under Her Majesties Pleasure. Although as most burglars seem to escape prison that is highly unlikely
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

marianne wrote: and put up the prices.

why is that a good thing?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

There prices although cheaper than many pubs are more expensive than The Capitol and I suspect the esquite Bird in The Hand ( but I am not going in to check ).

They were trying to attract the meal trade and had a good chef and they were serving food on more and more occasions. The Sunday roast I had couple of weeks ago was really very good. Pity so few in there eating.

There beers were and hopefully still are in excellent condition. They deserve to succeed.
marianne

Post by marianne »

I don't want the prices to go up but thought it might encourage the 'fighters in our midst' to go elsewhere - ie a cheaper pub. The new managers really are doing their best to make the place welcoming but unfortunately one of them was beaten up on Friday night for his trouble!
Fairlawnresident

Post by Fairlawnresident »

My feeling is that this is the second worst pub in Sydenham/Forest Hill (after the other Wetherspoons in FH). It is a badly lit, dirty and soul less huge space hoping to "pack them in" with cheap prices and mass produced rubbish food. It's this type of approach which has put proper pubs like the Woodman out of business. Let's hope the dump does get closed sooner rather than later
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I have only been to The Windmill 4 or 5 times in the last few weeks and certainly not packing them in. The food was better than Wetherspoon and beer excellent.They know how to keep the real ale.
Woodman beer rubbish.
Problems in Winmill only since Woodman closed. Think some of the old Woodman regulars moving down there.
Fairlawn Resident I think your commenst are very unfair.
marianne

Post by marianne »

The Windmill has not been a Wetherspoon pub for years!
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Eagle wrote:Problems in Winmill only since Woodman closed. Think some of the old Woodman regulars moving down there.
Fairlawn Resident I think your commenst are very unfair.
Wrong! Always been problems there, especially at nights over the weekends.
90% of the trouble is usually caused by the same group of people (mainly all ex Fox and Hound Drinkers) ............. most of them have not grown up yet, most of these people are in their 30's/40's/50's and yes a couple of them are in their 60's. They still think to have a great night it must involve a punch up.

Personally I would avoid the place on a Friday/Saturday/Sundat as there are some well known bully boys there who have the backing of their mates if the going gets tough!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Must admit only visit Sunday Lunchtime or from abouy 4pm to 7 pm

Seems quite civilised at those times.

Cannot The Police arrest the persisitent trouble makers and send them to Guantanamo Bay ( I assume looking for new uses )
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Are you both related?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Problems in Winmill only since Woodman closed. Think some of the old Woodman regulars moving down there.
The Woodman never had any regulars! That's why it closed!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Now Now Thomas
I was a regular at the Woodman from 67 to 73. Great Pub then .