sony laptop problem

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ALIB

sony laptop problem

Post by ALIB »

hopefully the more technically minded can give me a few pointers.

Last Weekend my Sony Vaio reported a worm being present.
I am running AVG Free 8.5 at present and ran this which i thought would deal with the problem.
In the past week my screen keeps going blank for no reason. Apparently there's a fault with the screen driver.
Subsequently i've run the auto-repair software with seemingly no joy.

Suggestions on a postcard please.
(not sure if the worm and screen fault are linked)
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

The screen problem and the worm may not be related, but it makes sense to get rid of the worm a.s.a.p.

I use Spybot Search & Destroy to scan for worms:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

It would help if you posted the name of the worm AVG discovered. If it is something like win32/Crypto then you will need to download special tools to remove it.

Regards
Chris
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

This site may be of help if AVG does not remove the worm.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... emover.htm
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

thanks howard and chris. The first i knew about the worm was when the missus shouted at me whilst i was watching the telly.
"The computer says it has discovered a worm!".

So i walked from the living room to the 'office', and asked "what have you done?"

She answered "oh, i panicked and just switched the computer off"

DOH.

I think i've tracked it down and sorted the problem now, but i'll make a note of your suggested websites. Trouble was, when the screen kept switching itself off, i was absolutely stumped as to how to resolve it....
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

problem is still here.

,..but i'm working on it......
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

your worm is persistant.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Remember to turn OFF system restore before you remove any virus/worm/trojan etc

Then Reboot and then turn on System Restore
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

OK, I'm back online. A big thankyou to Lambchops who got me the number of a local computer repair company.
That company is Computer Troubleshooters, who are based in Unit 201 of Regent House (above LA Fitness on Kirkdale)
I took my laptop there last Monday and they charge a flat fee of around £50 to diagnose faults (plus additional monies if you want them to conduct a repair). They were really busy, but said they would try and get an engineer to check it over ASAP.
Wednesday afternoon they called and said they thought they had the problem cracked. Dust had accumulated in the heatsink and fan outlet port and the computer was overheating. To prevent combustion the computer has an auto shut off device.
So I am most grateful to Computer Troubleshooters who checked the computer overnight and also updated my anti-virus stuff and set it up to run automatically. I got the computer back today and it is running like brand new.

Ali B
:D :D