Sydenham is all new to me, what's to know please?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Obviously

Sydenham is all new to me, what's to know please?

Post by Obviously »

Hi everyone, good site, informative people on here i like it.

Im moving very soon, living just off the highstreet (station end) and was wondering if people could just tell me what they know about the area! I've stayed in Sydenham a couple of times, from what i gather it was around when the Pub on the corner by the station was considered a bit more of a desirable and ralaxed place than it is now (which is a shame). So, basically i havent been around for ages and would appreciate a word or two on places i should avoid, good places to go, good eateries, parks, gyms etc. Like 'Ezza' (a previous poster) i'm early 20s.

One last thing, in your opinion is Sydenham train station or East Penge the best/safest later at night?

Thanks for your help,
Annabel :)
Matt_G

Post by Matt_G »

Hi there and welcome !

Its a matter of opinion, but my wife feels much safer coming back to Sydenham Station than Penge East / West. That said, both have good numbers of people at most times of the day.

As for the pub on the corner, its under new management and a much nicer place as a result. I think its getting a make over at the moment too. There is also the Dartmouth Arms (up towards Forest Hill) which is very good and obviously lots of places to eat / drink in Crystal Palace and East Dulwich (the night buses are very good for ED if you dont fancy the walk up the hill!)

Matt
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Good parks: Crystal Palace and Wells Park - which has a lovely cafe - great on a sunny day!
Good places to eat: Ghurkas and the Turkish restaurant (next to the Golden Lion); Zucker's cafe opp LA Fitness on Kirkdale - which is also child friendly (someone else asked about that!). A bit further afield in Forest Hill there's Provender (health food shop and cafe), the Dartmouth Arms (bar and gastro pub), Aceri (Italian) and Kafe La (brilliant Bangladeshi)
Good gyms: LA Fitness - a bit shabby round the edges but very convenient - has a pool, sauna, jacuzzi, spinning and all the usual weights and machines, plus a studio with classes - yoga, pilates and more aerobic stuff. Very friendly too... also Forest Hill pools in Darmouth Rd which has a gym and studio.
Either station is OK late at night - Penge East has the advantage of 2 buses which will bring you back to Sydenham if you don't fancy the walk.