Looking for descendants of Dan Alston (1882-1964)

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
hooleman

Looking for descendants of Dan Alston (1882-1964)

Post by hooleman »

I am a novice family historian trying to trace members of the Alston family. My Great grandmother was Freda Mary Alston. Dan was her brother. I believe he had a son born in 1912. In Freda's "scripture birthday book" this son is called Daniel but I think he may have been called Neil. There seem to be Alstons connected with Sydenham and the Crystal palace. If any one knows of them and if they are any relation please ask them to send me a private message.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Can't help with your sepcific request but i do have a few suggestions for you, some you may know about but some not.

Mrs Barty and I have been researching our family trees for about 3yrs now.

You are in an area of the country where Mrs B's ancestors are from, we maybe able to be of use to each other. PM either of us :)
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

I am an Alston myself but sadly I believe that is another family entirely unless it is a distant branch.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

There appear to have been at least three separate Alston families in Sydenham during the 19th/early 20th century.

The wealthiest was Thomas Rowland Alston, a goldsmith, who lived in Crescent Wood Road from about 1868 until after 1881. Some of his children (his sons all went to Dulwich College) and grandchildren continued living in the area until the mid-1930s.

Then there was Edwin Alston, a decorator who lived at various addresses near Wells Park Road from the mid-1880s until at the early 1900s.

And finally Eliza Alston, a widow supporting her 2 daughters by working as a charlady and servant during the early 1900s. She lived in Dalmain Road.

There were several other Alstons in this area who may or may not be connected with these families, but amongst them all there are none called Dan or Freda (or even Neil).

In 1939 (my records don't continue much after that) there were just two Alston families in the area, that of Geoffrey Charles at Winsford Road, and Joseph Charles at Kilgour Road

Do you have any more information about your family's links with Sydenham? First of all, of course, what makes you think there is a Sydenham link? And do you have any dates?

I would certainly be interested to know if Dan and Freda could be linked into any of the families I know about.