computer advice sought

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ALIB

computer advice sought

Post by ALIB »

I have a pc problem I'm hoping for a few pointers in the right direction. If anyone has a bit of technical knowledge and thinks they can assist, then payment/beers will be in order, else i will take the pc to the place above LA Fitness.
My wife has a notebook with an O2 wireless hub internet connection. She attached an external DVD drive earlier in the week and coincidentally the modem has stopped working at/around that time.
We've changed the SIM card in the modem, but still no joy. Before we take the modem back to Lewisham, does anyone have any ideas whether the two bits of equipment may have caused a conflict?

The internet connection was excellent until earlier in the week and the DVD drive is excellent. Just cannot get the interent connection back.
I need useful advice ASAP , because I'm not sure where the problem is likely to lie

(I have tried precussive maintenance)

Thanks in advance
Ali B
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

Could try downloading the latest driver for the modem from the manufacturer's website

Out of interest what modem do you have?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i tried to help on this issue...and it was **** wierd.

i uninstalled the 02 software...re-installed it...then after several re-starts and plug in/out of the the wireless USB device I finally got wireless internet access.

then, plug in the external USB dvd drive and kaput. nothing. the machine keeps saying that the USB devise is unrecognised.

annoying!
The Eagle

Re: computer advice sought

Post by The Eagle »

ALIB wrote:My wife has a notebook with an O2 wireless hub internet connection. She attached an external DVD drive earlier in the week and coincidentally the modem has stopped working at/around that time.
Ali B
The external Hard Drive could be overloading the power circuit on the USB port. If possible it is usually best to power the external HDD from the mains.

However the above should not stop your wireless USB connection working AFTER you disconnect the the external hard drive and REBOOT.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

lambchops wrote:i tried to help on this issue...and it was **** wierd.

i uninstalled the 02 software...re-installed it...then after several re-starts and plug in/out of the the wireless USB device I finally got wireless internet access.

then, plug in the external USB dvd drive and kaput. nothing. the machine keeps saying that the USB devise is unrecognised.

annoying!
Go to DEVICE MANAGER then UNINSTALL reboot and then try loading it
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

thanks for the replies.
The situation i'm in now is that the compoota wont' uninstall the program because it is still running (when it patently isn't)

I'll endeavour to uninstall and reinstall over t'weekend, but it isn't looking good.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Start up your laptop in SAFE MODE :-

To get into the Windows Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold* your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu". Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" (without networking) and press your Enter key.

*If it doesn't start up in Safe Mode restart the laptop and keep continuously tapping the F8 key.

Now UNINSTALL it. Using DEVICE MANAGER and also uninstaller.

Then reboot the laptop
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

OK, an update.

I managed to uninstall the modem manager last night and we took the modem back to the shop in Lewisham this morning. They were very helpful and told us they would replace the modem. After filling in the paperwork we have returned home and reinstalled the new modem.
and...

hey presto, it works. the notebook is now back online. :D :D :D

What we now hope to do is reinstall the external DVD drive, but we are a bit pensive. Is there any reaason why installing the external DVD drive would cause the modem to die again?, or was it just a weird coincidence that the modem died around the time the DVD player was first installed.

We aren't going to install the DVD drive until we are certain it is not going to cause conflict. Any advice at this stage would be most appreciated.
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

are you sure it wont work with generic drivers? (meaning just plug it in and see if it detects it)

Often you get useless CDs with drivers on when you buy some of the more common hardware but you don't always need them.

btw I am guessing you have a rubbish USB modem. If I was you I would get a router, I have a spare one somewhere I think.

But I assume something went wrong with the USB connections and caused a conflict with the USB modem and the USB DVD drive.