New shop on Kirkdale

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
shopgirl

New shop on Kirkdale

Post by shopgirl »

Thanks for the kind words Alib!

Just wanted to say it's been great so far - lots of friendly people popping in and I've been enjoying it. Also, after a few days at the Edinburgh Festival, Helen the cake-maker is back and we now have a couple of freshly baked cakes in the tearoom/teagarden just waiting to be demolished - today or tomorrow hopefully! There's a fabulous new recipe carrot cake, a lovely syrupy lemon and walnut cake, plus a couple of other options! I'm open 10-6 today (Saturday) and 11-4 tomorrow (Sunday).
shopgirl

New shop on Kirkdale

Post by shopgirl »

Quick update:
Opening hours are now fixed at Monday to Friday: 9am-6pm; Saturday: 10am-6pm; Sunday: currently closed. I may start opening on a Sunday sometime before Christmas, but for now am relishing a day off a week after giving up my other Sunday job last weekend!
Also, I'm getting new stock in all the time - and trying other lines such as 'hogla' floor seating and beautiful jute bags from Bengal, fabulous recycled rice and fish bags (coming late in October), funky Mexican Day of the Dead and Frida Kahlo cushions and bags, lovely aroma-pot candles, children's t-shirts, greetings cards, ooo, all sorts of nice things! Am off on a buying trip to Spain, soon, too, and should be back in early November with lots of foodie and other goodies for Christmas.
shopgirl

New shop on Kirkdale

Post by shopgirl »

Hi all
Due to popular demand, Alhambra's opening hours are changing, to include Sunday opening (12noon-4pm), and late night shopping on Thursday until 8pm.
I'm opening an hour later each day, at 10am, and closing on Mondays. So hours of business are:
Tues-Saturday: 10am-6pm
Thursday: 10am-8pm
Sunday 12noon-4pm* (*FROM NOV 15th)
Monday: currently closed
Thanks again for all your support!
Becca
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Good call. I can see a bit of Sunday Christmas shopping followed by a roast in the Woodman coming up.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Good plan on the opening hours! I pressed my nose up against the glass the other day but so far haven't been around whilst you're open to look inside. I thought it was a shame not to be open evenings or on Sundays. Ideally being open to 7pm rather than 6pm everyday would be great, as the ability to pop-in after work for an emergency birthday present etc would be fab.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Popped in the the other day, and ended up buying a really nice individual rug, and not bad priced either. Look like they have some nice gifts and cards. Have to admit, very recommended, and glad to have a small decent shop around here.
shopgirl

New shop on Kirkdale

Post by shopgirl »

Hi again
Glad the new hours suit! I was originally open til 7pm, but have to say it was really quiet most evenings, so reverted to 6pm. However, I am often there til 7ish, cleaning up and sorting out at the back or in the basement, so if the main shop lights are still on after 6pm you are more than welcome to ring the bell and come in for an out of hours browse/shop. If for some reason the doorbell isn't working (it is a little temperamental) then just buzz the mobile number written on the door and I will come and open it for you.
Hope that helps, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of you on a Thursday eve/Sunday - but remember, this Sunday 8 November I WON'T be there (am at the Notting Hill Design Fair, see http://www.nottinghilldesignfair.co.uk if you're interested)!
Becca
shopgirl

New shop on Kirkdale

Post by shopgirl »

Just to say, we are having a little open evening at Alhambra tomorrow (Thurs 3 December, 6-9pm). There will be complimentary mulled wine, mince pies, olive oil sampling and some special Christmas price reductions.
There's a great range of potential Christmas presents in store: funky Mexican cushions and tea towels, authentic Andalucian pottery and cookware (including our special 'paella kits'), designer lighting, reclaimed and handmade tiles, recycled bags and purses, handpainted porcelain (look out for our exclusive 'cattucino' mugs), gorgeous candles and soaps, and much, much more.
You'll also find traditional Spanish food, including delicious Andalucian mountain honey, organic olive oil and a great range of Christmas delicacies such as turron (made from ground almonds and honey), pralines and almond biscuits. And there is a great exhibition of Spanish photography, too!
Do pop in if you can - everyone is welcome!
Becca
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

will definitely try and be there.
It sounds like i can get a lot of my Christmas presents in one go.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

And indeed, i got some excellent presents there

Well worth a browse
shopgirl

New shop on Kirkdale

Post by shopgirl »

Hello again all
We had a lovely open evening on Thursday - thanks to all who came. Anyhow, the main reason for this posting is to give out our address - I just had a lady in who has been scrolling up and down the thread trying to find us! So... we are at 148 Kirkdale, SE26 4BB. We're in between Foxes pub and Avalon fireplace shop, and if you would like to phone us, we are on 020-3417 6385. One more little update - we are now offering portraits by commission. These are painted by Royal College of Art graduate Jane Furst. There is a beautiful painting by her on display in the shop so you can check out her style!
shopgirl

New shop on Kirkdale

Post by shopgirl »

Happy New Year everyone! Just to let you know that...

Alhambra is are having our first sale of the new decade with
up to 50% off rugs!

There are selected price-cuts on our other stock as well. Nearly everything
is reduced, and the sale runs until 24 January.

Please do come along and bag a bargain, or just visit for some tea and
home-made cake! Oh - and one more thing: we are starting with home-made soup at lunchtime. Advance bookings very welcome - please just give us a call on 020-3417 6385 or 07817-781501.

Happy new year to all, and my best wishes for a peaceful, happy and
prosperous new decade.

Lastly, if you are reading this from afar, you could take a look at our website and if you see something you like, please email or phone us to see about a discount. We are at http://www.casajarapa.net

Thanks to everyone for their great support so far, and see you soon!

Becca
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Popped in before Christmas with my two slightly snow-hyped children and found the shop (and it's very patient proprietor) to be great additions to the high street. I'll undoubtably be back!