EATING OUT LOCALLY

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sophie

EATING OUT LOCALLY

Post by sophie »

I just want to "big up" The Olive (Turkish food) on Penge High Street. Have been a few times recently and the food is always delicious and the prices very reasonable. I really miss the Lokal and also the meze place which was there before the Mexican. Everytime we go to The Olive though it isn't as busy as it should be which is a real shame. Anyone else tried it? We've only ever had positive experiences there and I can't recommend it highly enough.

If you haven't been then give it a go!

No, I'm not on commission or anything!!! :)
sophie

Post by sophie »

Has NOBODY been there?!!!!
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Me. Yes it's good. It did really well when it first opened, less so recently, not sure if it's because of the recession, because people are hard up after holidays or just not impressed though.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I'm afraid I've never been to Penge High St. I've always looked towards FH, Catford and Lewisham for my shopping trips rather than head south (to Penge and Beckenham, which I've also heard good things about).
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

I agree the food has been very good on the occasions I have been, but it is a few months since last I went.

However it was unlicenced but you could bring your own bottle (no corkage) which means, of course, that eating out is very inexpensive. I dont think this has changed, but worth checking if you are thinking of going.
sophie

Post by sophie »

It is licenced now. Food prices are still really reasonable in my opinion. We often share the mixed meze starter for 2 people between 3 or 4 of us as it is so generous and then sometimes even share the mixed grill for example and just get some extra salad.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Like Gaz I havent' been out in Penge either as it' fees even more depressing than Sydenham High Street. While there are some gems locally (which we often use) I tend to go further afield to shop, which seems to the be norm for a lot of people around here.

I may try this place out though.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Haven't tried it but will. Bridge House is just over the road but shuts kids out after 7 which is sad and so won't eat there. Olive is perhaps a little closer for us than Sydenham Road so we will go there now that it has been recommended.

Our regular is Pizza At The Palace in Crystal Palace. Italian beer is great with food and the pizzas there are consistently good. And the boys love it immensely. It also feels nice being up on a hill for some reason. Walking home through the park afterwards is great too as it's all down hill and easy.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 6dcb3a4dd5

Tratorria Rafaele - best place I've been for ages full stop. Did a little review on the above thread.

G-Man
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Dear Sophie
What does ( big up ) mean . Sorry for my ignorance.
girl_canuck

Trattoria

Post by girl_canuck »

Tratorria Rafelle is one of the best places in the world. Seriously. Last weekend their special was pasta stuffed with pears and marscapone cheese. I could barely eat it I was drooling so much. We took a friend there for dinner and he's been raving about it ever since! It's SO GOOD.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Eagle wrote:Dear Sophie
What does ( big up ) mean . Sorry for my ignorance.
It's a verb - express one's positive opinion.

I want to big up Tratorria Rafeale
I want to say how great Tratoria Rafaele is

G-man
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Very bad grammer if you ask me. Probably originated accross the pond-- either Mediterranean or Atlantic
maestro

Post by maestro »

'big up' - noun, origin - Jamaican 1980's, singular and plural.

1. An expression of support, respect or encouragement. To congratulate.

2. An expression of remembrance.

(probably originated 'from' across the pond (one c in 'across'), full stop after Atlantic, congratulations on 'Mediterranean' however).
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

maestro wrote:'big up' - noun, origin - Jamaican 1980's, singular and plural.

1. An expression of support, respect or encouragement. To congratulate.

2. An expression of remembrabnce.
Surely it can be a verb aswell? I have heard the term bigging you up, so surely it's to big something up.

Anyway, back to the subject - food!

G-man
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks for the language explanation. Guess a case of myself getting up to date.
Rather like someone saying ( You know what I mean , when you do not )

Guess you could Big Up Gordon Brown
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

probably originated 'from' across the pond (one c in 'across'), full stop after Atlantic, congratulations on 'Mediterranean' however).

With apologies, I am a silly punt.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Eagle wrote: Guess you could Big Up Gordon Brown
Here's someone doing just that.........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1218897/
sophie

Post by sophie »

Hi Eagle - sorry just seen your query but I think others have already answered.

Seems I was almost controversial with the term "big up".

Innit?!

:lol:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Sophie
Excuse my comments as an old codger. I appreciate that even Shakespeare introduced thousands of new words into our great language, so I am sure big up will be in common parlance soon.