fish and chips

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
pocketpip

fish and chips

Post by pocketpip »

Can anyone recommend a good fish and chip shop locally? are there any in Penge? I usually go to the Jolly Bee in Forest Hill but don't feel like walking up there tonight!

Thanks
lbere

Post by lbere »

Hi,

There is one the Sydenham side of Penge East train station (in the row of shops), not sure what is it called, but its fab!!!!!
Willy

Post by Willy »

There is one the Sydenham side of Penge East train station (in the row of shops), not sure what is it called, but its fab!!!!!
Not sure it's fab but it's ok if you make sure the fish is cooked fresh, what I do is ask what they have ready then order what ever they don't have already cooked. They also do dirty burgers and kebabs if you have drunk too much :P
pocketpip

Post by pocketpip »

Great, will try it. thanks
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I can vouch for that chippy. Like all chip shops though the fish is better if cooked freshly so don't turn up at 10.30 and expect it to be anything other than a dried up piece.
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

The one at penge east is called Tasty Fish and Chips and I think it IS really tasty!! They take telephone orders for fish so you can order and pick up which is rather handy!
sophie

Post by sophie »

Worth trying then.

We've had good fish and chips from Beckenham high street (The Big Catch?). Also heard there is a fairly new chip shop on the road from Beckenham to Elmers End (Nemo?). I know they are a bit further afield but sometimes travelling a bit is worth it! The Sea Cow on Lordship Lane is also really tasty BUT very pricey and for us, at least, only ever a really occasional treat.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

The chip shop in Penge High Street (near Sainsburys) has new management and been completely overhauled. Not tried their food yet though.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

There's a chippy along Kirkdale. Not as good as the two in Forest Hill and the two in Honor Oak though...

Is there a decent chippy along Syd High Street?
sophie

Post by sophie »

No decent chippy on the High Street. More than 1 chicken shop though!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

sophie wrote:No decent chippy on the High Street. More than 1 chicken shop though!
Dang! Looks like I'll have to get off at FH and walk back to Syd to get a decent fish supper then! :oops:

Note to any new would-be fried chicken shops - open a decent chippy instead! 8)
sophie

Post by sophie »

Just think of all the calories you will burn with that extra walking. You will just HAVE to have the chips to keep your energy up!!! :lol:
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Well I swear by the chippy opposite the Golden Lion – fish is always cooked fresh, the batter is not greasy and having lived in Brixton with Ollies Chippy as my local (supposedly one of the best in London) it beats it hands down.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes, it's a great chip shop.

Friendly too.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

yes the one opposite the Golden Lion is great. Guilty pleasure once a month. Washed down with a full fat coke. Can't beat it.