Halloween at the Woodman

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ALIB

Halloween at the Woodman

Post by ALIB »

They are having a Halloween party at the Woodman on Kirkdale on Saturday 31st October.

ALL PROCEEDS GO TO ST.CHRISTOPHERS HOSPICE.

There is a fancy dress competition, with prizes

Kaeoke and a disco

9pm til late.

Entry is £3 on the door.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

I'm all in favour of supporting the hospice...Their open days are great family days out. Charity shops, sponsored events etc... excellent.
I don't really understand the quite recent US import of 'Halloween' celebrations. What are they celebrating?

I know its origins...But these have been lost in the silly witches and ghosties nonsense.
....... I hope I'm not a killjoy in saying this...
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Your post got me wondering so I googled it !!

http://tiny.cc/vpfpn

blame the Irish not Americans by the look of it :twisted:
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Its the crass, mindless commercialization that our transatlantic cousins introduced, at the same time dumping all cultural significance, that I'm questioning. I don't think the Irish should be blamed for that.

Pagan festivals were often co-opted by Christianity and given a new 'slant' ...Halloween being [in effect ] one of them.

We seem to be very keen to mimic the Americans ...without much thought...especially when there's a profit to be made.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

I don't really understand the quite recent US import of 'Halloween' celebrations. What are they celebrating?
Trick or Treat, and the costumes, may be American imports but in the 50's as a child on Tyneside Halloween was celebrated as 'Dookie Apple Night'. In addition to dunking for apples we had turnip lanterns, and the ritual incantation of "Ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged beasties, and things that go bump in the night".

Regards
Chris
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Good point...Apple dunking and other local customs etc [that probably go back donkies' years] sound like fun.

I'm very much in favour of keeping old traditions going... But I question the over-commercialization of those traditions until all context is lost in the mad rush for the next buck.

I suppose the same goes for Christmas... Anybody for 'Winter Festival'?
stone28

fancy dress shop/ rental place

Post by stone28 »

Hi All,

Does anybody know where is the nearest place you can rent a costume?

Thanks,

stone28
oin

Post by oin »

The a costume place on Kirkdale, Antoinette that are very welcoming and may well have some items of help. For kids, the big supermarkets have cheap outfits.