Problem with Crystal Palace TV transmitter?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
alywin

Problem with Crystal Palace TV transmitter?

Post by alywin »

Has anyone else suddenly got really bad reception on analogue (assuming any of you are still on it)? My TV's suddenly gone so bad that it looks as though I'm using an internal aerial and watching through a snowstorm, and I'm having to watch on digital just to get a reasonable picture, although even that's pretty bad and even pixellating occasionally. It was fine at 4.30 this afternoon.
Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin »

am still on analogue and have internal aerial. The reception has been a lot worse the past few days. Gave up channel changing and just stuck with ones that dont require an aerial re-jiggle
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

It's the gov't initiative to force everybody to go digital, they are reducing the analogue signal so that people will switch over. Having said this I know a guy who works there and they use all kinds of weird gizmos like bacofoil covered coathangers just to keep the signal going.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

This might be the most ignorant post ever on STF but when the 'switch-over' happens will the Sydenham Hill Transmitter be rendered redundant?

Or will it just be different kit on the same landmark. Our very own 'South London Eiffel Tower'?
stuart

Post by stuart »

The main Crystal Palace transmitter @ Sydenham Hill will/is the main digital TV transmitter for London & the Home Counties. There is considerable work taking place in preparation for the 2012 upgrade. This includes a massive new set of cables going from earth to the transmitters.

The old ITV transmitter at the end of Church Road still has ITV/C5 analogue AFAIR. I also know there are some emergency mutual standby arrangements for some channels on the transmitters.

Crystal Palace has just started transmitting BBC HD on Freeview. Sadly you can't yet buy any equipment to receive it. Existing Freeview STBs and all "HD Ready" TVs cannot decode the signal. You will need a new box or TV sometime next year.

Stuart
alywin

Post by alywin »

stuart wrote:Crystal Palace has just started transmitting BBC HD on Freeview. Sadly you can't yet buy any equipment to receive it. Existing Freeview STBs and all "HD Ready" TVs cannot decode the signal. You will need a new box or TV sometime next year.

Stuart
It's a conspiracy, I tell you. You buy all these things to be able to receive the new transmissions, and then someone goes and moves the goalposts so you have to buy yet more. I only bought my Freeview DVDR/VCR at the beginning of this year anyway because I was afraid the things were going to be discontinued :(

When I looked at the BBC's website this morning there was no indication of a transmitter problem at Crystal Palace, but I phoned up and apparently they are doing work on it which could last for a few days. The picture is less bad than it was then (although oddly Five is better than usual!), but it's still not good. I haven't tried Freeview, but I suspect that will still be of lower quality than I'm used to getting.
stuart

Post by stuart »

alywin wrote:It's a conspiracy, I tell you. You buy all these things to be able to receive the new transmissions, and then someone goes and moves the goalposts so you have to buy yet more. I only bought my Freeview DVDR/VCR at the beginning of this year anyway because I was afraid the things were going to be discontinued
Its down to OFCOMM and not the manufacturers. Some existing Freeview kit can handle HD and that was the plan. Only HD takes much more bandwidth so Freeview needed more to offer a decent range of channels. OFCOMM preferred to sell off the available bandwidth for other commercial purposes. Protecting you as a taxpayer, stuffing you as licence payer.

Of course it could be a conspiracy to protect Uncle Rupert. The broadcasters have had to switch to a new more efficient coding system to squeeze in the channels but this needs new hardware. The spec has only just been agreed so it is some months from production.

Or you could use Freesat. Except it is a bit galling when we have Ulysses' Eiffel Tower looking down on us.

Stuart
CaptainCarCrash

Are you a broadcaster at the transmiter Stuart?
stuart

Post by stuart »

No, just a geek. Here are some even sadder ones:
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/crystalpalace/

Stuart
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

stuart wrote:
Or you could use Freesat. Except it is a bit galling when we have Ulysses' Eiffel Tower looking down on us.

Stuart

:shock:

I actually quite like the transmitter. You can see it from almost all points in London (although not if you go too far north of the river but then if you're stupid enough to do that...).

I like how it's pretty much always in view, calling me home. And it's a bit Eiffel Tower-esque? Yes/No?

I plumped for Sky+ HD last week after resisting for many, many years due to snobbery. I think it is brilliant! Although I'm waiting for the first heavy rain and winds...
CaptainCarCrash

stuart wrote:No, just a geek. Here are some even sadder ones:
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/crystalpalace/

Stuart
Geeks indeed.

Know any tin foil hat wearers?
simon

Post by simon »

I really like the Crystal Palace transmitter; it is always there but never trully dominates and quietly emits a sense of both place and history.
Its the second tallest structure in London, for the time being.
Sydenham Community Radio are currently in negotiation with Arquiva, who own the transmitter, to use it to broadcast on MW, subject to OFCOM granting a license.