Subway

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Exactly, BBB.
Sandwich,'filled baguette' or whatever; make your own!!
Cheaper, probably healthier and exactly as you like it!
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

A subway is better than a kebab shop in my opinion.

I accept that it is my opinion.

Everyone is unhappy about everything...

Kente was terrible until the details surrounding the window were sought... ( it is a wonderful place and I love it)

It is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy in that the negativity will not encourage new ventures.

And before anyone suggests I go somewhere else, I love Sydenham and its potential and wish I had the time to invest.....
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Quite right Scott.

I think Subway is a sign of the times for Sydenham Road - a multiple coming in whose clientele will be people working in area - maybe not exactly the 'suits' Gaz refers to, but the increasing numbers of people who are able to work from home here. I know when I've had jobs in other parts of London and wanted to get something to eat, a Subway is the sort of place I'd go.

There's a sentimental part of me that doesn't want to see competition for Slatter's - aka the Cake Shop - but that's not economically realistic. Perhaps more realistic is my regret that it is a multiple, which I think may be a sign of the credit crunch; with the Sydenham Road improvements coming in, I think Sydenham is a fantastic place to invest for the medium and long term, but businesses are gong to find the next year tough as the works are carried out. The cash flow from a whole lot of other Subways will be able to finance this, in a way that our banks probably won't.
sean

Post by sean »

I think to have Subway in the area is a good move as it offers healthy food such as salads etc. There are too many cafes on the street and it's good that people can try different places.

I'm a regular at Kente and only hope that the new Subway wouldn't take any business from him. It's a nice space and even nicer at this time of year as he hasn't put any Christmas themes in the shop. So you can get away from it all if you wish.

Plus the pricing is the best on the street. Not a bad word to be said - it's all good.
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

Drove up the high street for the first time in months and was shocked to see Subway, but it's been bugging me, what shop did it replace?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am also, a great supporter of Kente. A superior coffee shop if ever there was.
Cannot imagine Subway attacting the same clientelle. Kente has coutesy
Guardian , Indy etc and also today Daily Worker ( sorry cannot recall its new name ).
I would imagine Subway will not attarct to many Guardian or Indy readers
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I have never been in Subway, so I shouldn't really slate it til I've tried it but the food just looks revolting in the pictures - it really doesn't appeal to me at all. I would rather have a kebab any day.

I suppose it'll do okay, though I would have thought fast food was pretty much covered by all the other shops we have on the high street. I think of Subway as a downmarket shop but I daresay that's because I'm very posh and read the Guardian.

I still quite like McDonalds though for some reason – I think its unpretentiously basic fast-food & there's not too much choice so you don't have to think too hard when you're hungry. :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Being a Guardian reader you will be welcome at Kente. Regret no kebabs there but plenty of other delights.
Giddysquid

Post by Giddysquid »

Subway = STINKY YUCKY FOOD!!!
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

so, fresh vegetables placed on a fresh baked roll with cold cuts and designed exactly as you request is yucky???? I then suggest you try a different selection as you have chosen the sandwich...

Seriously though, give it a shot. You get to choose what eat from there, if you don't particularly like the sandwich's flavour then you can only blame yourself.

With all the vacant stores... come on.. and it is better than atlantic...

also, anyone been to candies?
pip

Post by pip »

Twas the Apollo video rental stroke makeshift internet cafe.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

scott.l.hamilton wrote:so, fresh vegetables placed on a fresh baked roll with cold cuts and designed exactly as you request is yucky???? I then suggest you try a different selection as you have chosen the sandwich...
Uggh… sorry Scott, this does sound revolting. But then I generally hate sandwiches, specially cold ones on soft squidgy bread. Yuk. But hey - maybe their pizzas are nice? Did I hear they do pizzas?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I'm with scott.l.hamilton here.

Let's put to one side the discussion on the quality of ingredients, we know it's hardly Waitrose organic/fair-trade/free-range etc.

BUT the ingredients are very fresh and you choose your sandwich to the nth degree. I think there're about 5 different types of bread and sauces plus about 20 different fruits and veg and about the same for sandwich fillings...

As scott writes, if you don't like the end result, take the heel of your hand and repeatedly and forcibly hit your forehead with it.

It's not cheap either. I think the last foot-long I had in Subway was over a fiver. So, the mobile-phone chav music playing massive that frequent the other low-rent places in that area will be well put off, bruv, innit, ye get me.

They probably think Subway is really posh. As long as it doesn't entice McDonalds into the area I welcome a Subway. It's better than the other stuff, no question.

Candies? I give it 3 months, tops.
scarpetta

Post by scarpetta »

I think Subway is really good value for money. Sub of the day for less than 2 quid! Fresh ingredients and sandwiches made right in front of you. Definitely the best option for decent fastfood on the highstreet!
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

I still don't get it. Sandwich? 'Sub'? You really don't need a recipe book to make your own...To your own design, with ingredients carefully chosen and lovingly prepared by yourself. There's no substitute for a DIY sandwich or 'sub'.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Passed The Subway in Bromley today. Not the sort of establishment I would visit.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I've had a couple of Subways in my time, and actually found them to be okay.

BBW hit the problem on the head; I then found out that some of their sandwiches have over 4g of salt in them (equivalent to 9 bags of crisps) and haven't been back since.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Trawlerman wrote:I still don't get it. Sandwich? 'Sub'? You really don't need a recipe book to make your own...To your own design, with ingredients carefully chosen and lovingly prepared by yourself. There's no substitute for a DIY sandwich or 'sub'.
I think you may be missing their target audience, Trawlerman!

When I'm at work and nipping out for a bite to eat at lunch, I'd quite happily go to a Subway if I wanted a cheaper alternative to a deli or cafe. The advantages are that you can choose the type of bread you want, the filling you want (although I only ever go for the 'Sub of the Day'), have it grilled and of course then choose the salad you want added to it.

There's no way I'd be able to make that sandwich up - irrespective of the 20 odd ingredients you would use, I also haven't got a breadmaker or 'super-fast toaster' in my office!

Anyhoos, if Subway are moving to Syd then they obviously think the High Street is improving and can sustain it. I've no idea what time they are open to, but I've only ever thought of using them at lunch (sometimes early evening if I'm heading straight out from work, don't fancy a Maccies but need to line my stomach!). :shock:
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I agree Gaz - love them or loathe them, I still think its a positive for Sydenham Road.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

I wonder if my innards could sustain a sub?
Seems like 'salt of the earth' has a fresh interpretation.