Subway

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Mrs.E

Subway

Post by Mrs.E »

Does anyone know when the Subway on the high street is going to open?
themib

Post by themib »

This Tuesday (15th) - a lady was handing out a voucher where you can get a free 6 inch sub when you buy a medium drink on opening day.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Would be great to have a subway but this is the first I have heard of it. But second thoughts could become a haunt for the all day tatoo'd drinkers .
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

thats good news. does anyone know where on the high street it is opening?
Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin »

I walked pass yesterday and noticed people seated and looked like they were customer (was accross the road so could not see properly)
pip

Post by pip »

yes its just after the Barclays bank on the left as you go down sydenham road.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Pumpkin wrote:I walked pass yesterday and noticed people seated and looked like they were customer (was accross the road so could not see properly)
I think that was staff training (was on that side of the road and could see). From memory they are open 12:00 to 14:15 today for their inauguration.

Regards
Chris
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am totally confused. Someone refered to a subway ( which in my book is a tunnel under the road connecting both pavements so you can avoid traffic.
Other people seem to be refering to possible a shop. Not sure how a shop can be a subway
stuart

Post by stuart »

Subway is a fast food franchise that primarily sells submarine sandwiches, salads and personal pizzas ... People do eat them on the subway - or tube as some people confusingly call it.

Even more meanings here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subway

Stuart
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Eeew! Subway. Doesn't appeal to me. I prefer Maccy D's – I'm old school.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Give me a good 'ol Wimpy any day! - subway - yuck - MacDonalds - double double yuck...far too many fast food outlets in Sydenham - we need something with a bit more ooomph...
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Unless I'm missing something, isn't Wimpy just a MacDonalds that you sit down to eat? Same dubious quality just with utensils and crockery?

Agreed on the fast food outlets though. Although grazing-on-the-hoof seems to be the way of the modern world these days.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Stuart
Thanks for your kind explanation. Do we really need yet another fast food outlet. Cannot people make their own rolls etc.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

I think a really decent pie and mash shop would be an excellent addition to the Sydenham culinary scene. Proper pie and mash + liquor...Lovely.
davegr

Post by davegr »

I'd be glad of anything that would change the chavtastic mix of crap fast food outlets , nail bars and pound shops that we have.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Eagle wrote:Stuart
Thanks for your kind explanation. Do we really need yet another fast food outlet. Cannot people make their own rolls etc.
I'm not sure why, but I've always thought that Subway was a bit more "upmarket" than Maccies, BK etc - probably because it's quite a popular destination for the suits at lunch. :oops:

I can certainly see that Subway will complement the shops and especially lunch time food options for those working nearby. It's natural competitor is a deli/sandwich shop rather than takeaways/cafes/fast food joints.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Real competition would be a proper pie and mash shop.Bring back real, original London 'fast food'; not yer new-fangled commercial concoction.

If you want a 'sub' [What on earth?]...Make your own. You really don't need a diagram!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Can I recommend rolls and sandwiches from Kente.
Excellent
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Like Trawlerman, I didn't know what a 'submarine sandwich' was. Intensive research has revealed that it is the American word for 'filled baguette'. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_sandwich
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Never been a fan of Subway. It has nothing to do with the fast food rep, I just find the salt content too high to forgive.