Snow

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sean

Snow

Post by sean »

I'm on in my early 30s but when I was a child December, January and February was always cold and snow was always at least a foot of snow. So it's rather annoying to see all this media coverage - it's as if people can't think for themselves anymore. If you know snow is coming then you stock up on food etc. Do we really need to be told to do this?
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

it must be a lot easier for people, generally, to 'work from home' nowadays too, so the roads, and public transport can be kept clearer for those who do actually have to get into work, to do work (nurses, doctors, etc)

I remember there being more snow, but I grew up in Worcestershire, and when it snowed, it would blow across the school field, and drift across our back garden. I remember once opening the front door to be faced with a wall of snow higher than I was.
SAF

Post by SAF »

It seems that during the long period in recent years with very little snow most of us have forgotten the common courtesy of sweeping away the snow from the pavement in front of our houses. Obviously best done before a freeze so let's get out there with a shovel.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

SAF wrote:It seems that during the long period in recent years with very little snow most of us have forgotten the common courtesy of sweeping away the snow from the pavement in front of our houses. Obviously best done before a freeze so let's get out there with a shovel.
In Germany, where I grew up, it's the law. Woe betide you if anyone should slip and fall outside your home if you haven't cleared it of snow and ice.

They'll take you to the cleaners (initially literally so you can clean their clothes and then metaphorically as they sue you).