Bell Green, Dillwyn Rd in the 60's

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
DB93S

Re: Bell Green, Dillwyn Rd in the 60's

Post by DB93S »

Bill Davis wrote: 21 Oct 2016 19:18 I am Bill Davis and lived next to the bowling green by the Liversy Hall. This site for Lower Sydenham brings back many memories. I to remember Brett's the green grocer's. I always called them Aunty Una and Uncle Ernie. I use to have a weekend job at Mathers the butchers near to Toyland. Does anyone remember the horse trough at the bottom of Dillwyn Road and the Hole in the Wall off licence. If you were in Sydenham from 1950 can you reply to this it would be nice to hear from someone of that time.
I've just been chatting to my family - my great grandmother was Una - do you remember their son Ray?
Richard L

Post by Richard L »

Hello,
I'm trying to trace information about my family who lived in Bell Green from 1890 to 1960's - The family name is Cranstoun - my Grandfather John William was a milkman and died sometime between 1947 and 1950. My mum Edith and her 9 siblings (5 boys - Cecil, Jack, Les, Doug and Norman and 4 girls - Alice, Gladys,Nell and Marg) lived in Dillwyn Road and my Grandmother Clara latterly lived in Sunnydene Street until her death in the 60's. My Grt Uncle Bert Cranstoun and my aunt Alice lived in Adamsrill Road until the she died in the early 70's.
If anyone has anyone remembers any of the family members I'd be most grateful to hear from them.
Thanks - Richard
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Richard- Had a look in my 1931 Kelly's Directory for Sydenham and found your Grandfather, John William Cranstoun living at 16 Dillwyn Rd. Like so many working class families across London and the UK back then, members of the extended family were living within a stones throw ; William Cranstoun (your Greatgrandfather?) was living at 3 Porthcawe Rd. and a Mrs.Cranstoun,possibly your Aunt Alice, was living at 235 Adamsrill Rd.

I'm afraid I don't remember your family in the 60's & 70's- I lived right at the other end of Sydenham,the Wells Park Rd. area.
Bssiw

Post by Bssiw »

Hi, I used to live at 57 Dillwyn Rd in the 60s with my parents, twin brothers , my aunt and uncles until we were rehoused to Sunnydene Street. I used to go to St Michaels Primary School with Debbie Swan who also lived in the road. Later on I went to Sydenham County secondary school. I used to know Linda Fossett and Retia Atkinson whose mum was known as Auntie Gwen. On my side of the road there was the Burtons , the Pye's and Newtons, Fossetts, someone called Jacqui who I think lived next door to Linda, and the Spinks. I also remember Keith Elmore. Was such a great community where you felt safe and you knew people by family name.
Cranstoun

Post by Cranstoun »

Richard not sure if related but my grandfather also a Cranstoun lived in 37 Dillwyn Rd around 1900. His name was William Henry his father was John, mother Sarah and rest of their siblings: Hannah (24 at 1901), John (19), Gladys(15) , Herbert (13), Mabel (11), Edward 9), Harry (6, killed in WW I) and Edith (1)
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

My grandfather's family ran the newsagents at 32 Bell Green from about '58 to about '64. My father and aunt were there as children. I'd be interested to hear about the Asian family who bought it from them in 64/65. If their descendents are alive.
Hawkwind57

Post by Hawkwind57 »

Really interesting to read everyone's posts. I use to live in Haseltine Road but had family, who in the past, lived in Dillwyn Road - On their marriage cert it says William Fowler at 75 Dillwyn Road and his wife to be Florence Webb 57 Dillwyn Rd - this was in 1894.
I went to Haseltine school in the early 1960's - my mum Jose was there in the 1930's and then I went to Adamsrill School before moving away from the area in 1969. Family names were Chapman, Snelling and Farrance. I have seen Fosset mentioned and knew of an Albi (Albert) Fosset. Use to enjoy going to Saturday morning pictures - and remember getting my tetnus done in the childrens hospital after a fight in Home Park! Also a big event when Songs of Praise was done from the church next to Home Park.
Peter
Jim Donovan

Post by Jim Donovan »

I know this is a very old post but I was interested to read the comments on the area around Porthcawe Road. I lived on Bellingham Estate but my great grandfather and grandfather lived at 69 and then 8 Porthcawe Road from 1885 through to 1912. I loved playing in Home Park when I was a child but this being just after WW2 the facilities in the park were being restored. When we were broke, normally on a Wednesday, my mum would get us to sort out rags and cloth, put it in a sack and take it to Charlie Wilson's scrapyard by Haseltine school. Then we would hop a bus, with a few pence we would be allowed to use, and travel around Sydenham visiting relations, hopping of again when spotted even though the bus would be moving quite fast. The technique was to hang of the white pole at the bus entrance, wait for an acceptable bus speed then lean back and launch. My mum worked in Phils the wet fish shop on Bell Green so we would always have fish to eat later in the week, Friday as the family were Catholics, sometimes whale meat if the stocks were in. Townland Toyshop would be a source of cigarettes on a Sunday as they would open all weekend

I wonder if any person has information on the Donovan's in Portcawe road 1900 period or memories from the 1949 50 era or the Coombes in Haseltine road

Happy New year
Jacquie

Post by Jacquie »

Bssiw wrote: 3 Apr 2021 14:55 Hi, I used to live at 57 Dillwyn Rd in the 60s with my parents, twin brothers , my aunt and uncles until we were rehoused to Sunnydene Street. I used to go to St Michaels Primary School with Debbie Swan who also lived in the road. Later on I went to Sydenham County secondary school. I used to know Linda Fossett and Retia Atkinson whose mum was known as Auntie Gwen. On my side of the road there was the Burtons , the Pye's and Newtons, Fossetts, someone called Jacqui who I think lived next door to Linda, and the Spinks. I also remember Keith Elmore. Was such a great community where you felt safe and you knew people by family name.
Hi,
I am Jacquie, the Pye’s Ethel and Fred or Sam (he used both) were my grandparents, No.33 Dillwyn, Maureen was my mum.
I also had my aunty Phyllis & uncle Frank Newtons with their children, Denise & Kevin at No.53.
Please feel free to write back to me.
Jacquie

Post by Jacquie »

DB93S wrote: 8 Feb 2021 21:05
Bill Davis wrote: 21 Oct 2016 19:18 I am Bill Davis and lived next to the bowling green by the Liversy Hall. This site for Lower Sydenham brings back many memories. I to remember Brett's the green grocer's. I always called them Aunty Una and Uncle Ernie. I use to have a weekend job at Mathers the butchers near to Toyland. Does anyone remember the horse trough at the bottom of Dillwyn Road and the Hole in the Wall off licence. If you were in Sydenham from 1950 can you reply to this it would be nice to hear from someone of that time.
I've just been chatting to my family - my great grandmother was Una - do you remember their son Ray?

Hi,
My fiancé is a Brett, his fathers family owned a few Bretss greengrocers across SE London back in the day. He is trying to trace anyone who has any info on them please.
Kind regards Jacquie
Fortyeight

Post by Fortyeight »

Do you know which branch of the Brett family your fiancé belongs to ie who are his Grandparents?