The Wood.........one for the historians?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Rebelmc

The Wood.........one for the historians?

Post by Rebelmc »

It's amazing what you can find on the WWW, like this place, which (before this afternoon) I never knew existed!

So, I start my first post with a question........

I found this site whilst trying to find out more of the history of my parent's home, 16 Sydenham Hill, also known as "The Wood".

We first moved here in around 1973 when the building had been newly renovated by Lewisham BC (at enormous cost, £100k if memory serves), and we are now the only survivors from the original intake of 6 families.

I have never been able to find out very much concrete history of the building, and a search of the web reveals nothing, so I was wondering if any of the learned members of this forum could fill in the considerable blanks?

Thankyou in advance for your help.

*note* just to clarify, The Wood is the large grey and white building on the right (coming from Westwood Hill), just beyond Bluebell Close and directly opposite the former Waterboard resevoir.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I've sent rebelmc some information on the house. It ocurred to me that others might be interested so here is a summary:

Built as two houses in 1841, converted into a single residence shortly afterwards. The left side (from the road) was substantially altered by Paxton c1855, while the right side was altered, if not rebuilt, c1896.
Occupants included:
1855-1857 Charlotte Mary Hunloke. Daughter of Ann
1858-1869 Lady Ann Hunloke, assumed name Lady Scarisbrick in 1860
1871-1895 James Kingsford
1897-1901 Sir Alfred James Newton

Lady Hunloke was a close friend of the Duke of Devonshire who was patron of Sir Joseph Paxton (architect of the Crystal Palace). At Sydenham, to quote one source, the Duke “had the society of his lifelong friend, Lady Hunloke, and her daughter Charlotte, who had a house in the neighbourhood”. Both Lady Hunloke and her daughter were “built on generous lines” and were referred to by the Duke and Paxton as “the stout ones”.
James Kingsford was a solicitor, churchwarden of St Bart’s and founder member of Dulwich & Sydenham Hill Golf Club.
Sir Alfred Newton was the 1st baronet (created in 1901). He was also chairman of Harrods and Lord Mayor of London (1899-1900). His grandson, Sir Michael, still uses the title "Baronet Newton of The Wood, Sydenham Hill”.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

That Minstrel's galley Falkor - wow!

(I managed to download the picture you took of the room with the gallery before you were requested to take it down)

Our 'street tough' friend does live in a very beautful home. For those who are curious we can report that the room remains much loved and looks unchanged.

How are you RebelMC?
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Thanks for posting that article Falkor, I haven't seen that in years; seems odd that we're the only remaining tenants from the original batch.

Not sure about the accuracy of the expenditure, I thought it was closer to £100k, although that £58k might not include the original purchase price, the place was pretty run down when the GLC bought it.

When we first viewed the house, there was a live-in caretaker, a Scottish chap rather similar to Private Frazer from Dads Army; he did his best to put us off, intimating that the Council had cut a lot of corners in the restoration/convertion (not sure if he actually used the word 'doomed', but he might as well have done!).

Anyway, he did tell us that our upstairs toilet would eventually end up on the ground floor and, although we're still waiting for this to happen 34 years later, the place doesn't really stand up to close scrutiny.

The Council try very hard not to maintain the building; they occasionally cut the grass, but they don't seem to have any programme of regular maintanance and drag their feet when responding to emergency calls, all a bit strange given that it's a listed building.

In answer to Greg, I've not been around for a while as I've been working an awful lot; too much as it turns out, I'm now enjoying a period of enforced leisure due to losing my voice, bit of a handicap given what I do for a living!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Hey Ian, here's some old photos of your house from about 1973! If you get a chance, please let us know how it's changed over the years... the garden certainly looks different. It's amazing to think The Wood was one of the first houses on Sydenham Hill, before all those Villas came along in the 1860s, and even outlives them. Ian, my old mate, would you be interested in doing an exchange? :) I think the Wood would be an ideal place to live in Sydenham, or Halifax Street, although I personally would prefer a property on top of the reservoir.

Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Whoah, hold the bus, those pictures are actually a bit shocking!

Where did you find them?

That shows my house from a different time, well before I knew it.

In essence, the house hasn't changed in structure since I, or, more accurately my parents (I've been, gone and come back a few times) have been here, except perhaps for the fact that it's deteriorated over the years.

I'm guessing those pictures date from the 60s or maybe earlier; compare those shots with the pics you took on the walkabout late last year, it's never looked any different to me since 1973.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

I've looked again, and, on reflection, I reckon those exterior shots date from Edwardian times, the interiors might date from a nearer time; once again I ask, where did you get them from Giles?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

LMA. Only 1 or 2 photos had the 1973 date on the back, so I cannot confirm all were taken at the exact same time.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Giles, those pictures are definitely from different ages, is there any chance that we can meet up at my place with prints of them?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Sorry for late reply... been offline for atleast a week...

Unfortunately, I don't have any prints, just snaps I did from the originals. The LMA offer a photocopying/scanning service, but it's quite expensive. You might be interested in paying a visit there in your own time to check out the original prints, or you're welcome to join me for a day out, as I should be heading back down the LMA soon. They have an excellent collection of illustrations/photographs for the whole of Lewisham and even Bromley boroughs. Here's just some of the streets they have listed in their index:
Albion Villas Road
Allenby Road
Bampton Road
Bell Green
Bexhill Road
Bird in Hand Passage
Brockley Park
Brockley Rise
Carlton Terrace
Catford Hill
Catford Road
Charlecote Grove
Clyde Vale
Creeland Grove
Crystal Palace Park Road (under Bromley)
Dacres Road
Dallas Road
Dalmain Road
Dartmouth Road
Devonshire Road
Elderton Road
Ewart Road
Faversham Road
Garlies Road
Hazel Grove
Honor Oak Road
Jews Walk
Kelvin Grove
Kent House Road
Kirkdale
Longton Grove/Avenue
Lowther Hill
Malham Road
Manor Road
Mayow Road
Mill Gardens
Mount Gardens
Perry Hill
Perry Rise
Perry Vale
Plassy Road
Ravensbourne Park
Rosamond Street
Rushey Green
Sangley Road
Springfield Rise
St German's Road
Stanstead Grove
Stanstead Road
Sydenham Hill
Sydenham Park/Road
Sydenham Road
Taylors Lane
Venner Road
Waldram Park/Road
Wastdale Road
Wells Park Road
Westwood Hill
Westwood Park
Willow Walk/Way
ajal

The Wood Sydenham Hill

Post by ajal »

My family lived at The Wood, 16 Sydenham Hill from 1959 to 1967
Does anyone have information on the house during this period...or photographs?
Jonathan Lyddon
dannyp

Message for Jonathon Lydden

Post by dannyp »

Bit of a leap of faith here as 2 years between posts
Here goes
We have just finnished restoring the piano from the wood from the early 60's and are trying to piece together its history
It was owned then by AJC Lydden
Jonathon your father ?
Any information would be really appreciated
Danny
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I presume this is still there?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Dannyp

As you suggest I don't imagine Jonathan is watching this thread too closely, and he is obviously the one to answer your question.

In the meantime I can confirm that The Wood was occupied by A J C Lyddon between 1959 and 1967.

Two of the pictures above show the music room, where I imagine the piano would have been. The room was built for Sir Alfred Newton in about 1896-7:

And, Lee, the house is still there; it is listed Grade II.
jonathan

THE WOOD

Post by jonathan »

I'm back!..... Very interested to know what happened to the piano from our old House.
By the way, who lives there now?
We moved into the house in 1959 from Cheshire and lived there until 1967. I remember my 15th birthday party in the ballroom. We were about 300. Music courtesy of my former school pals from Dulwich, Phil Targett-Adams (Manzanera - of Roxy Music) and Charlie Hayward. The Beatles company Apple had their (1st?) birthday party there and I met George and Paul which was about as good as it got that year!!
If anyone has any other information on this house, I would be grateful!
Regards. Jonathan
Rebelmc

Re: THE WOOD

Post by Rebelmc »

jonathan wrote:I'm back!..... Very interested to know what happened to the piano from our old House.
By the way, who lives there now?
We moved into the house in 1959 from Cheshire and lived there until 1967. I remember my 15th birthday party in the ballroom. We were about 300. Music courtesy of my former school pals from Dulwich, Phil Targett-Adams (Manzanera - of Roxy Music) and Charlie Hayward. The Beatles company Apple had their (1st?) birthday party there and I met George and Paul which was about as good as it got that year!!
If anyone has any other information on this house, I would be grateful!
Regards. Jonathan
I'm not as famous as George and Paul, but I still live there and have done, on and off, since 1973.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

jonathan wrote:... The Beatles company Apple had their (1st?) birthday party there and I met George and Paul which was about as good as it got that year...
Very interesting. This might well be the source of the unsubstantiated claims that The Beatles visited Beltwood mentioned elsewhere on this site.
dannyp

Rachals Piano

Post by dannyp »

Hello Jonathon,
Great to hear from someone who knows about the piano
The piano's history has turned out to be quite interesting and has become quite long story 1914-2009 i have pics of restoration work but large files have you an email i can send to?

The piano is now the focal point of my wifes piano school :0 and continues to inspire young talent

Kind Regards
Danny
dannyp

Re: The Wood.........one for the historians?

Post by dannyp »

rachals restored.JPG
A little research up Date on the Piano from The Wood 16 Sydenham Hill ,
To our surprise, The Rachals Grand Piano from the music at 16 Sydenham Hill was recently dated by serial number to around 1865. Which explained the comments on the action during restoration, I have added a picture of the Restored Piano.