El Ruedo- Tapas-tastic!!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
smiler

Post by smiler »

We went on Friday night. The food was very good and the service was great. Felt a bit sorry for the staff as is wasn't busier. I recommend this place highly as without Sydenham's support they won't thrive. Go and enjoy.
Janeco

Post by Janeco »

We went on Friday night as well and not very busy - though they had a big crowd of kids upstairs. Service very nice and overall very good value for money but the food was rather typical British "tapas". The paella was more like a risotto and short on saffron. Hard to get it just right here though as you really need authentic ingredients. Limited wine choice - ended up with the house Valencia which was perfetly OK. Not sure we would go back - for tapas more inclined to go to Tapastry in Honor Oak Park which do fried pepppers that are scrumptious but would certainly recommend for the reasonable price and service.
El Ruedo

El Ruedo

Post by El Ruedo »

Thanks to everyone for the great comments as you know we are working hard every day to make this restaurant a great place for people to come and relax.

To Janeco we are sorry to hear that you felt disappointed after your experience although we are unsure what you mean by "British tapas". As for the choice of wines we have a wide variety to suit all budgets. When it comes to the paella our chef takes great pride in making sure that every dish comes out to the best standard and is authentically Spanish.

As for the group of kids upstairs there was a 21st family birthday we only take bookings over 21 to ensure that everybody has i.d and that there are no problems.

For whoever is concerned the restaurant is under a full change in management and the new owner has no connections to the old management. We take everything on board that is written although we feel that you should give us a chance if you want a variety of places to eat in Sydenham then bringing custom is the only way that can happen.

Many thanks as always the Management
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Hi El Rudeo, it's really great to have you here.

I've also visited the restaurant and agree with some of the earlier posts. The place is off to a good start and the service is good, which is great to see in a new local business. Tapas are one of my favourite ways to spend an evening and I'm a regular customer up at Brindisa in Borough Market (the tiny restaurant as well as they shop), so I like to make them as well as eat them.

I can shed some light on the "British tapas" comment, as I had the same impression separately from Janeco. Some dishes were absolutely fine - the patatas bravas, chorizo in red wine and meatballs, for example. Others, like the paella, were too moist and risotto-like (paella rice grains are supposed to end up quite dry) and needed more saffron. (Great seafood content, though!) It was great to see croquetas de bacalao on the menu. Actually, I love seeing practically ANYTHING involving bacalao on a menu. :D

The presence of Mexican dishes was commented on by a couple of people in our group, as we were surprised that we could get quesadillas and fajitas but not "classic" tapas like tortillas, jamon/lomo/cold chorizo, manchego with membrillo, ensaladilla rusa or padron peppers. A lot of those comes down to sourcing, really. Brindisa has great stuff and almost single-handedly kicked off an "authentic tapas" explosion in London, but their prices are very high (have never looked at their wholesale, mind you), so it might be worth scouting around to find someone who can get the ingredients in for you at a price point you're confident you can sell them at.

I am very interested in your progress and very much want you to succeed. More good dining options in Sydenham can only be viewed as a positive thing.
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

just back from a lovely evening at El Reudo with LaHibernis and others - food good, definitely recommend,.... and can't fault the location at the end of our road!
:)