El Ruedo- Tapas-tastic!!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Katebubble

El Ruedo- Tapas-tastic!!

Post by Katebubble »

I've noticed that there have been a few mentions of El Ruedo (new Tapas place where the Mexican used to be) but after going there at the weekend, I thought it deserved its own post!

Having been to the Mexican shortly after moving to Sydenham I didn't really have high hopes (a quote on the website said it all “I’ve never been to Mexico, but this is what I think it would be like...”) but I do love Tapas, so after perusing the menu at the Dolphin and finding it disappointing we thought we’d give it a go...and we’re so pleased we did!!

Gorgeous food (really reasonable as well – you HAVE to try the Paella!) and really generously portioned – the Paella for two did for all four of us with a few extra dishes. Yum.

They’ve painted over the...ahem...murals and got rid of the sticky 80’s vegetable plastic tablecloths (thank GOD) and it all looks very shiny and new. Cocktails are still on the menu (expertly made by one of the waitresses), and after a lengthy conversation with the new manager he’s thinking of using the upstairs space as a cocktail bar – which would be great. As a twenty-something couple, we’re always looking to go out after work and on the weekends, and as nice as the Dolphin is it would be great to have somewhere alternative on our doorstep. (And hopefully it wouldn’t be open to the underage birthday parties I’ve often seen spilling out onto the street!)

Felt very sorry for the manager, as he’s been struggling to get new clientele in as everyone thinks it’s just the Mexican with a new coat of paint – it isn’t!! They’ve had problems doing the outside up (it’s just temporary apparently) but the food speaks volumes as to where this restaurant could go. Please do give it a try – it’s not as though we’re spoilt for choice along Sydders High Street, and as it’s not somewhere everyone walks past being at the end I don’t feel it’s getting the love it needs to succeed.

It’s not a big chain, as a local business it deserves a go at least. So come on Sydenham, love your Tapas.

(And no, I’m not on commission – but a free cocktail would never go amiss...) :wink:
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Thanks for the glowing review Katebubble. It's good that you've mentioned what they've been trying to change from the Mexican. When I walked past recently (before opening hours) I could only see some new lampshades and hoped it went beyond that...it clearly does.

It seems as if those who were harsh on the new place (and I - as ever - was chief cheerleader in this regard, this is the first time I've been proven wrong) were far too quick to judge. Reviews on the staff and the food have been unceasingly good thus far.

Out of interest, is the new owner still connected in some way to the previous owner? The son perhaps? The reason I ask is another reviewer mentioned the owner's GrandFathers homemade Raki...suggests a continued Turkish link? And when I went in back when it was the Meze I was always impressed with the son.

You're right. It's good to have some choice at last on Sydders High St. Within the 'Sydders Triangle' TM we've now got 3 acceptable businesses. The Dolphin; Tattoria Raffaele and now this.

To think that once the sustainable Fish shop opens and you factor in Blue Mountain, Wellbeing (organic/health shop) et al then I will be able to do 100% of my shopping/entertaining on Sydders High St (save clothes shopping). Whereas roughly 4 years ago I did the sum total of 0%.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

we've now got 3 acceptable businesses
don't want to hijack this thread - but Ulysses that's a b*llsh*t statement - no argument wanted - just letting you know what I think!

Whites
The Cake Store
Kente
Smart Chaps

to name but a few who might disagree :roll:
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

If only you could read :roll:

The 'Sydders Triangle'. Triangle was the important bit here. It was a bit of a slightly-ironic take on 'Asburnham Triangle' (the posh bit of Greenwich) or 'Lawrie Park Triangle' (some would say the posh bit of Sydenham, well some estate agents at least). A bit tongue-in-cheek, you could say.

Draw a line from The Dolphin to El Reudo, then from El Reudo to Trattoria Raffele. Finally from Trattoria Raffele back to The Dolphin and tell me what shape you get.

I even added et al in the next paragraph...suggesting there were more businesses than the ones I cited. Et al is Latin for 'and others'. Just so you know.

Honestly goonerchamp, you're an angry little chap. For what it's worth though, I agree with your additions. There're more but for brevity I didn't list them shop by shop.

I accept your apology in advance.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

I didn't realise there were triangles in Sydenham - I would have thought a triangle would require three roads - not imaginary lines across one road !??
stuart

Post by stuart »

Not in Bermuda ...

Stuart
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

1-0 !!!! going off topic - I think we should all try this tapas bar - I've been to the one in Crystal palace where there are three roads which form a triangle :-) - its ok but a bit of compition would be good for its health !! :-)
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

stuart wrote:Not in Bermuda ...

Stuart
Nor here it would seem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_% ... guation%29

But yes, goonerchamp, if you accept that a triangle can exist outwith 3 adjoining neighbouring roads then we should check it out. I agree.

I haven't been to the one in the CP triangle (simply as I never go there anymore, now that we have what we have here in Sydenham) but thanks for helping me out there. I was struggling to think of other 'triangles' nearby. :D

I'll be checking this [El Reudo] place out at the weekend and thanks, again, to all who have posted so far giving their reviews of the place.

Just on the point of other Tapas' I go to the one in East Croydon (by Tiger Tiger, I think) if I'm going to the cinema. It's alright but doesn't sound like a patch on the one in Sydders. Funnily enough, when I go to rural parts of Spain I cannot find Tapas for love nor money? I wonder if it's a bit of an export? Any Spanish amongst us care to confirm?
Last edited by Ulysses on 8 Mar 2010 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Forum Club?

THURSDAY 11th MARCH: EL RUEDO?

7.30pm?
stuart

Post by stuart »

I'll be having an English in Wales ...

Stuart
parklife

Post by parklife »

I went there on saturday with Mrs Parklife.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Food,wine and service all excellent.

Just need to sort out that signage..........over to you lee !
Willy

Post by Willy »

Well I've been to many tapas bars both here and in Spain and the majority are rubbish (one in Spain served me oven chips with tomato sauce as Patatas Bravas!!), the one in Crystal Palace is ok if you drink enough before hand.

I will be trying this new addition to Sydenham soon but I'm slightly worried by the presence of fajitas on the menu....what's that all about?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Good to see I'm not alone here Willy. It seems that in Spain if I go to the bar and look for Tapas type food I'm directed to the tables (if they serve food at all) and if I go to a restaurant in Spain for Tapas I'm invariably [as with you] dissapointed. Perhaps it is just one of those tourist board/guide things. The same way everyone in Scotland wears kilts and eats haggis (type thing).

As for Fajitas, I must admit I missed that. This might explain a bit further why 'stringfellow' partook of Raki when he went there...

Of couse, it matters not a jot if there is still a link to the Mexican but it does strike me that there might be.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Funnily enough, when I go to rural parts of Spain I cannot find Tapas for love nor money? I wonder if it's a bit of an export? Any Spanish amongst us care to confirm?[/quote]

Granada is where you'll find the real deal, it's from that part of Spain, they give you free nibbles with each drink, these can get more substantial as you drink away, which is nice.

Apparently it was introduced by King Alfonso X of Castile, he was ill and drank wine with small dishes between meals to get better. Once he'd recovered he thought it was so magic he ordered all bars to serve a little food with every drink.

G-man
spanishsydenhamgirl

Post by spanishsydenhamgirl »

Could I add something maybe?

Do tell me if I get pedantic or long-winded......

you can get something to eat in most 'normal' bars in Spain. They get called different things in different regions and have different customs in different places. In some places you get a small bite free with your drinks, and in others you have to pay. If they see you're foreign they often send you to a table as then the prices are higher.

In the Basque Country (Bilbao & San Sebastian) you have pinchos for which you pay extra. (I highly recommend you go to San sebastian Old Town for these)

in Madrid you sometimes get a few olives or crisps free with your beers - if you want more/different food you can ask for a pincho (individual portion) or a racion (larger portion for sharing) - a lot of the rest of spain is like ths too. You can usually eat these at the bar - sometimes you have to pay a premium to eat at a table.

Granada, Almeria and Leon are famous for giving free 'pinchos' or 'tapas' with your beer or wine - you can't always choose them, but sometimes with 3 or 4 beers you'll have had enough food for the night.

hot food is usually served between 1.00 - 3.00pm and then again between 8.30 (if you're lucky) and 11ish. It can sometimes be difficult to get fed at other times.

I ate at the new tapas place the other night - it wasn't massively authentic. I reckon the croquetas were more portuguese than Spanish, but it was tasty & friendly, so I'll try them again. The best tapas I've had in london were at (the dead pricey but worth it) Barra Fina in Soho.

sorry to go on...........
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Thank you for this brilliant post spanishsydenhamgirl. That's exactly what I was after.

It seems I've variously been in the 'wrong' place which invariably has left me seeking the 'wrong' thing. I think what they serve up in San Sebastian old town is what I am after. I've tended to stick to the NE of Spain and quieter parts of Mallorca.

Thanks again!

I'm all for authenticity but I'm still recovering from the Meze I had in Cyprus. IF you're of a squeamish disposition DON'T read on...

We headed out into the mountains (well, hills) for a Meze at this popular local place. Not too many Brits ventured up there so the owner was wary of deviating from standard stuff as far as we were concerned. At this point it's worth pointing out all of the dishes were beautifully cooked. Tarragon/Oregano/Garlic/Tomato etc.

A few courses in he brought out some snails in a broth. Beautiful. Quickly demolished. He was a little surprised. Said most Brits wouldn't eat them. That was the gauntlet laid down and a few courses later out came the sheeps testicles! After a bit of soul-searching I plunged in. They were beautiful. I don't know if he or I was more surprised that I ate them. He politely enquired if I'd be up for something even more 'exotic'...

The final dish was delivered in a mound of tin-foil. Remember, it was beautifully cooked. But when opened it was merely boiled or perhaps steamed. I did about a quarter of it before I couldn't stomach anymore (partly as I was full).

Yes, it was the sheep's brain. Now, I'll literally eat anything. Mind over matter. Sorry if anyone feels sick after reading but it's interesting what passes for a common/fairly everyday plate of food in other parts of the world?
Willy

Post by Willy »

Going back to the tapas, I was reminded of a dish that i had in a tapas bar in Barcelona recently, it was some leeks barbequed and served with a sauce containing ground almonds. It was absolutely delicious and apparently is seasonal but i have no idea what it was called as it wasn't on the menu - we had to ask for it by pointing at another table. Maybe spanishsydenhamgirl knows what this is and could let me know what it's called?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

They are called Calcots (Pronounced Cal-sots) and are a Catalan tradition, kind of sweeter spring onions. It's tradition for everyone to get together in calcot season and have a big barbecue and cook them up with lots of delicious dips. As not many people have space for a barbie in Barcelona, for instance, they have big barbecue parks just outside the city - great stuff.

I lived there for a year and experienced a good few calcot get togethers...any excuse for a party!

G-man
spanishsydenhamgirl

Post by spanishsydenhamgirl »

Hi Willy
I think the sauce you're thinking of is 'romesco'.

The main ingredients are almonds, sometimes hazlenuts, & dried Spanish sweet red peppers - either romesco or noras (with a squigly thing on the n - it won't let me paste one in) There are loads of versions & loads of recipes on-line. You can get all the ingredients in Brindisa at Borough Market.

I'm sounding like the Spanish tourist board again.......
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Am pleased that more Sydenhamites are giving this new Tapas place a chance, being open minded and trying out the food. As someone has mentioned The El Ruedo management are making changes to the interior (and shortly to the experior too) if this entices more customers to this delightful new eaterie on our doorstep. From previous posts you will know that I'm already a fan of El Ruedo (as I am of the Dolphin, Trattoria and Blue mountain) and welcome any new eating out additions which offer good quality food (in preferably stylish surroundings) in which to spend our hard earned cash. ON which note both Trattoria and Dolphin were full to the brink over the weekend - proving the point that good food makes for good business in Sydenham :D