Car heads: technical advice needed

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
tonyade

Car heads: technical advice needed

Post by tonyade »

Hello. My car was broken into recently (in Peckham not Sydenham) and the key for the wheel locking nuts went walkabout. Don't ask me why. My question is, can I buy it off the shelf? Or do I need to go back to the manufacturer?

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Ta.

(PS: Honda Civic R reg. 1.4-litre. MOT due v soon. Argh!)
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I dont know where you get one from Tony - but a word of warning - if possible, change the locking wheel nut for another, otherwise someone will be back for the wheels themselves.

My car was done in Sydenham, some years back. The locking nut 'key' went first, and then they came back and stripped it.

It was a Mini Cooper (a proper one, not a BMW) and my pride and joy.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

In theory, you could probably get a new key from a Honda dealer, assuming the security nuts are a Honda accessory.

In practice, for the reason highlighted by fishcox, I would source a new set from any accessory store, then find someone who knows how to get the old ones off, properly.

There are a couple of different tools available to remove security bolts, then there's a hammer and chisel and the possibility of damaging your wheels; find someone who has the special tool.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

I doubt that Honda will be able to replace the locking nut key. I would definitely recommend having the existing lock nuts removed by a reputable company. With the correct tools it should not be a problem. Try Mech-Weld, 0208 690 5259. Ask for Phil or Martin.
Wing

Post by Wing »

You may be able to buy a replacement locking nut from eBay at a fraction of the price from your main dealer. I bought an original spare lock for my Renault alloy wheels from ebay at a third of the price that I would get from a Renault dealer.