Input Please

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

If you want to see inside the old blind factory go to this link:

http://www.sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewto ... 0e6784185f

It's the large factory space about half the way down falkors post.

There are plans for a development for the old Blind Shop which will be flush with Sydenham Road. I have mixed feelings about it as on one hand it's great someone is investing in Sydenham and the buildings at present are undoubtedly eye-sores. But the space inside is so unique and with the frontage it could have a great al-fresco area. Given the right treatment it could be an even greater asset than the development. it is in a real state though!

Aside from that there are a couple of places in Kirkdale, the George Proctor Building or the old curtain shop (currently the girls house on a short term Lewisham funded occupancy). You will find a picture in falkors post of how this used to look (the original signage is probably still under the horrible ribbed TSB metal you see).

failing that you can find an image of it HERE

If you can wait, the Greyhound will have a restaurant and some units for rent, it might be worth trying some of the charity shops who very often are under a limited, cheap lease.

Or what about the old hypermarket? It is possible to make it look good.

Or the Perry Hill pub is up for a new lease (Zilli in Beckenham do very well and they are based in an old pub).

It amazing isn't it? Sydenham now has someone willing to invest and we don't have enough empty properties! I said this before (and I know I'm going to get slammed for saying it here) but it almost needs the high street to be totally decimated with lots of empty shops before it can truly regenerate. Sydenham will improve, but it will take a long long time and it will happen bit by bit by bit.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Does anyone have any idea who to contact re the old HSBC?
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Yes:

You need to pop into the Beckenham Branch (141 High Street) and speak to the Branch Manager, Dave Clements. Nobody's giving details out over the phone as they want time wasters, etc.

I found this information by ringing Penge branch and asking who;'s responsible for the sale. They were helpful but couldn't give out a telephone number.

Good Luck! :)
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Thanks Mummycat - appreciated
Nature Boy

Post by Nature Boy »

I agree with Raven Drone. If you are planning anything like Franco Manca then bring it on!

All over the place pizzerias seem to do well on the same high streets as Italian restaurants. Our kids love pizza. We always find ourselves leaving Sydenham to find a pizzeria rather than an Italian.

I also agree that the HSBC would be perfect. Every time I walk past it I think that it would make a good bar/cafe/resto because of the way it will face onto the mini square.

Best of luck fishcox.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Thanks - we're still working on it
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

One thing my family and I miss about our old neighborhood in Inwood, northern Manhattan, NYC was the communal eating we did most evenings in a small park when the weather was nice, April through September. People would bring rugs, beers or wine, soft drinks for the youngsters and salads and we would all order pizzas from a traditional pizza place called Grandpa's. Thin crust. Fresh mozzarella and basil leaves. Entirely delicious. Simple. Sumptuous. Healthy. Great for the soul.

Pizza at the Palace do some great pizzas too.

If you are successful in setting this up, you'll have us every Friday. And perhaps many of our neighbours too as we plan on eating communally this summer. Right here in Sydenham.

SydenhamShots.co.uk]
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

has the Perry Hill lost it's licence then?

we tried to go there for Sunday Lunch a few months ago, and the chef was off, and then just recently it wasn't open on Bank Holiday Monday afternoon... I figured that something must have happened, but there were no signs up saying what.