Broadband

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Twerper

Post by Twerper »

Seriously there should be a way to get compensation. Their inability to understand the problem is frankly amazing. The thing is every time one contacts them about it they want you to go through the exact same basic procedure which is the only thing they know how to do, in spite of anything you may tell them. I got a tweet from BTCare telling me it was a problem with the Microsoft OS and that I should contact MS! LOL. I'm a Mac user...
maturin

Post by maturin »

Oh, mad impulsive fool that I am!

I've just come back in, read the improvements reported by the Eagle and went to browse the Internet. Lo and behold pages came up in a reasonable amount of time. I opened terminal and did traceroute on some of the usual test websites and was amazed to see completely normal responses.

Hurrah!

I was just in the middle of jotting down a response to the Sydenham town Forum fellow sufferers group when everything, broadband-related, went back to 'normal'. I.e. stopped. Pages hang. Ping doesn't work. Traceroute doesn't work. 'Normal' service has been resumed.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get out of the contract?

At the beginning of this problem (March 17) BT told me that the problem was caused by my old home Hub. To fix the problem I would need a new Home Hub which would, unfortunately, require a new 12 month contract. I very, very reluctantly agreed, on the proviso that it would fix the problem. It did not -- as we now know. The problem was never the hub.

I've now had non-functioning broadband from my supplier for a month. Does this legally (rather than morally) constitute a breach of contract and therefore allow me to force them to give me my Mac number?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Update............

This afternoon 'proper' engineers who were linked in a conference call with others rang me.
They ARE fully aware of the problems that some of us are experiencing in Sydenham
With my assistance various tests were carried out (nearly 3 hours).

They have now ruled out certain things; but are still unsure exactly where the problem lies. On Monday they expect to get together with all the senior people in the appropriate BT sections and try and find out exactly where the problem lies.

I am now pleased to say that at last I have total confidence in them sorting it out.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am on a 30 day contract. The fact that anyone wants to lock you into a longer contract should surely warn you that they are trying to stop you cancelling. An ISP who delivers a robust and consistent service has no such worry or need.

Its not like a mobile phone contract where they have to recover a significant new hardware cost.

Who to move to? Well anyone reading my posts will detect a preference. But there are other ISPs who run them close. That does not include BTB, Tiscali, TalkTalk or Orange. But a google search should reveal those ISPs that can deliver. It is your choice. All I say is make that choice. Just don't let the headline monthly cost dominate the decision.

BTB may have (eventually) fixed it this time. An excuse to relax and do nothing. But history says it will repeat itself.

Admin
Dekan

Post by Dekan »

No offense meant but it sounds like more BT BS

They took a month to decide that they need a customers help :roll:
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Dekan wrote:No offense meant but it sounds like more BT BS

They took a month to decide that they need a customers help :roll:
In this case it was not BullShit!
These were 'hands on' engineers.

As I said they still do not know where the problem lies, at first they thought it was on one of the two pieces equipment at Southbank, but it appears this is not the case. It is now pointing to like something called a ' Copper ???? ' at the exchange; however it is not that it could be one of the other 7 pieces of equipment (or two faulty pieces) that is goes through.

I am not excusing BT as it has taken over 18 days for me to get this sorted, and what was more annoying was these engineers did NOT know about my high level complaint, they only contacted me by chance as so many customers have been complaining to India thus putting a tremendous amount of pressure and work load on the call centre, who basically could not deal with it.
maturin

Post by maturin »

Eagle,

Is yours fixed now?

Mine is still useless. Improved over weekend, and then back to default rubbish yesterday.
maturin

Post by maturin »

Just had the BT service desk call with their daily 'it still isn't working, Sir' call.

They said the fault is now 'very complicated' and 'affecting many users in your area'

Duh!

Anyway, am now using my Virgin cable Bband which was installed today and, GET THIS BT, actually works!

Has anyone else's BT connection been fixed?
Dekan

Post by Dekan »

No.. and I am now coming to the conclusion that it may be beyond the people involved to fix the problem in a time that would seem reasonable to the average customer... :roll:
Maybe BT Openreach have creamed off BT's most competent engineers..Leaving only the muppets at Bt telecom :lol:
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

maturin wrote:Eagle,

Is yours fixed now?

Mine is still useless. Improved over weekend, and then back to default rubbish yesterday.
NO it has not been fixed, still there at 5.00am Wednesday 21 April.
Unfortunately I have not been around for two days so I have not had any dealings with the engineers.

Like I said I am confident they will fix it (in other words NOT close the job); but when I last spoke to them they really did not know where the problem was but they suspected it was on the Huawei equipment in the exchange.
maturin

Post by maturin »

The Eagle,

Just for your information.

I just cancelled my BT account and they gave me my MAC code (no cancellation fees), even though I am only one month into a new contract. The reason they had to do this is because the termination department phoned a senior wholesale technical support manager. He told them that -- and this is a direct quote -- "they still have no idea what the fault is, and have no idea how long it will take to fix'.

In those circumstances BT had no option but to release me from my contract.

The lady in the termination department seemed a bit stunned that wholesale could have no idea what was going on.

I just thought you should know.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

I also have a letter saying they would not hold me to full term ..........don't forget to get a rebate as well for all the downtime
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Just for the record :-
http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/serv ... /2468,2470

Service Status
Internet ConnectionThere are currently 2 open and 0 closed issues.
Mon 12/04/2010 at 05pm Ongoing Problem in the Sydenham and Southbank area (21C)
Dialling codes affected: 0208676 0208659 0208778 0207803 0207902 0207202 (21C)

We are aware of a temporary problem in the Sydenham and Southbank area that may be causing some users difficulties accessing the Internet. Our engineers are working to resolve this problem and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have now been online now for over an hour and EVERY webpage has opened immediately :D The longest it every went over the last three weeks was ten minutes ........................................ FINGERS CROSSED but they just might have fixed it.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I finally managed to speak to someone in India, who was both helpful, and knew what they were talking about.

I told them that I knew there had been widespread problems in the Sydenham area, and he knew/agreed.

He arranged for a new router to be despatched - a Home Hub 2.0 - and (cross fingers) it is working brilliantly, and I only just plugged it in.

I was also advised that the speed will increase over a period of time (about 7 days) although it seems to be faster than it has ever been.

The new router was here in two days.

I'm still going to look for some sort of compensation though - I reckon its been crap for about a month, so a month free should cover it.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Have to say we're back in business seemingly. Youtube and everything. Nice and fast again. That was a good couple of months of internet stress. Doubt they'll be any compensation though.

Poor old guys in Indian call centers - can't be easiest of jobs.
southernmoose

Broadband

Post by southernmoose »

Yeah, we seem to be back in business too. Also given a new BT homehub and the internet hasn't crashed at all today. Thanks to all who lobbied various internet providers - particularly Eagle. Good to know that others are online too, and glad we got there in the end!
Rack

Post by Rack »

Hi everyone...

Are the problems with BT Broadband in Sydenham resolved?

I am still having major problems and have had since the early part of last week.

I spoke to some guy in India and he claimed it would take a week to resolve but I it sounded like BS.

Does anyone know what the current situation is? I have seem the BT Internet status web page but that's extremely uninformative beyond the obvious of there being a problem.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

BT have been pretty cr*p so far, I should have changed from talk talk almost 1 month ago but no news, BT keep saying they are looking into it and ..nothing. Talk talk is terrible, it's incredibly slow.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Yes apparently a FEW people are still experiencing problems.

You will find it a total waste of time talking to India!

Mon 17/05/2010 at 01pm Ongoing Problem in the Sydenham and Southbank area (21CN)
Dialling codes affected: 0208676 0208659 0208778 0207803 0207902 0207202 (21C)

We are aware of a temporary problem in the Sydenham and Southbank area that may be causing some users difficulties accessing the Internet. Our engineers are working to resolve this problem and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:(
Hi, I am with AOL and have also had some problems this last week.So is it the BT line that is at fault?