Child Minders

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
mysti77

Child Minders

Post by mysti77 »

Hi everyone, I'm due to have my baby in July but won't need a childminder until March when he's about 7.5 months. I'm wondering how soon I need to start looking for someone as this is my first baby I have no idea what to look for. Also, does anyone have any recommendations? I live just off Kirkdale, nearer to Sydenham station. Also, does anyone have an idea of how much it costs? I'll be needing someone during working hours Monday to Friday or Monday to Thursday (if my work will allow me to).
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Hi Mysti,
Have a look at this link for childminders, you just put in your postcode and it will list the Ofsted registered minders in your area. I found a great childminder on here (she is in Lower Sydenham so probably not much use to you). http://childcarefinder.direct.gov.uk/childcarefinder/. On average, childminders charge between £40 and £50 a day. I found my childminder 6 months before returning to work, the only downside to finding her early was I paid a retainer to make sure I got the place, as it turned out, she still had space when my son started with her but that's the risk. I do remember there being quite a few childminders in the area. Good luck with the search and the baby :-)
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

Thanks Susie, seems to be quite alot on that website. I'll have a trawl through it, prefer to start now and at least get an idea of distance from home, their hours etc.

I think I prefer a childminder over a nursery, which seems to cost more yet they have so many more children to care for. How does that work? Is it because people get problems to get childminders so they are forced to use nurserys or is there some benefit to nurserys that I'm unaware of?

Sasha
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Hi Sasha, I'm not sure why nurseries charge more than childminders. I intially had signed up for a nursery but when it came to going back to work, I just didn't feel like it was right for us, I wanted my son to be in a home from home environment. I guess the biggest benefit of a nursery over a childminder is more interaction with children with lots of activities and you will always have cover as one thing to consider with a childminder is if they take holidays or are sick you need to find alternate childcare which can be a pain if your not lucky enough to have family around. I can also recommend the East Dulwich forum (family room) for childcare, nanny, nursery recommendations and netmums. Hope this helps.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

Thanks for the advice :)