Pubs in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
maria1971

Pubs in Sydenham

Post by maria1971 »

Does anyone know which is the best pub in sydenham?

I would like a pub that would suit a group of 35 year olds - any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks

Maria
soulfood

Post by soulfood »

The Greyhound - just over the bridge from the station - has a new landlady and has improved no end. Still an Arena pub so don't expect too much. Quite big though so good for groups.

The other option, which is smaller but looks alright, is the boozer on the railway bridge itself.

I'd avoid the Dolphin, Red Lion and Man of Kent. Prince Alfred looks okay(has a shellfish stall outside for teh brave) but can't vouch for it.

The Dulwich Wood House is a little further afield, but certainly the nicest. Also the Bunch of Grapes(?) on the road between Forest Hill and Sydenham - is a reliable Youngs pub.

I'd probably go for Greyhound if you want to stay in Sydenham.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

I would say that the best pub is in Forest Hill - the Dartmouth Arms... if you're travelling from Croydon it's just to the left of the station. Two bars (one of which is non-smoking) and a restaurant - with special offers throughout March!
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I agree with soulfood. If you want to keep it in SE26, then The Greyhound is the best one for your custom. The Woodhouse, on Sydenham Hill, is a good pub, and The Dartmouth Arms is a great gastropub. Let's try to stay in SE26 - go to 'The Dog'.
Ginge

Post by Ginge »

The Golden Lion is not a bad pub, classic old man boozer where the slightly higher prices keep out the younger people.

There is still an element of the old Greyhound about the place and the bar staff rarely move from messing around behind the bar to actually serve you. This is all done in front of the new owner who doesn’t do anything. A lick of paint and a few sofas does not constitute a new pub.

My choice, the question in Forest Hill.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Ginge wrote:The Golden Lion is not a bad pub, classic old man boozer. There is still an element of the old Greyhound about the place and the bar staff rarely move from messing around behind the bar to actually serve you. This is all done in front of the new owner who doesn’t do anything.
Classic old man here ...

I used the GL every week upto last year but I was told it was a tenanted pub. Tell us more about the new owner - will it retain an Irish connection? Any changes to the deeply conservative food department?

BTW do you know the white 'flagpole' attached to the chimney is really a '3' mobile network base station. Makes the beer glow at night ;-)

Stuart
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Being a friend of the "Ginge" and having been in the GL with him on saturday night I assume Ginge is referring to to Greyhound having the same problem as before even though its got a new manager - and not a new manager for the GL.

I have been in the Greyhound a number of times while the "Chav" bar staff chat and just ignore you while you wait in vain to get a drink.

I still think this place is no good run by no good people - but if people are tricked into beleiving its changed for the better so be it - its all as it was in my eyes. (Im prepared for the backlash!!!) :shock:
Ginge

Post by Ginge »

Apologises on not being clear enough, I was referring to the Greyhound. I believe the Golden Lion to be an outstanding local which provides a refreshing pint in a classic pub surrounding.
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

I'd have to agree, I've only ventured into the Golden Lion, the Woodhouse and the Prince Alfred. The GL is really nice for a few pints, always friendly even on a Saturday night. I went to the Alfred after the Golden Lion called time for a couple of extra pints (which anyone that saw me that night will agree I probably didn't need) and a game of pool. Again it was very relaxed & friendly.

The Woodhouse is really nice but a pain to get to if you live in 'mid' or 'lower' Sydenham (which is Mayow Road?). Good for a Sunday afternoon walk.

I haven't been in any of the other pubs as they all look a bit Derby & Joan or like youth centres (and I'm only 34).

Has the one opposite the Lion closed? I went past it on Saturday night to get a pizza (classy guy) and it was shut...
maria1971

The Two Halfs

Post by maria1971 »

Does anyone have an opinion on 'The Two Halfs'?
BET

Post by BET »

When i still lived in Sydenham i used to drink in The Woodhouse Pub, which seemed to be aimed towards the more mature customer.
PJWSON

Post by PJWSON »

Hi Maria1971

The Two Halfs

Do not go in there.
Some friends,my partner & i went there on a friday night about 1 month ago. The bar girl (if you can call her a girl ) called last orders so we went to the bar and ordered 3 drinks. As we took the drinks back to our seats the doorman came upto us and told us we could not drink them and to get out of the pub as it was now closing. We did argue the point and asked to see the manager, at which a young girl came upto us with serious attitude and told us to "F*** off out of my pub" my partner was holding a pint of larger that was then smashed out of his hand by the doorman.
We were called white scum and pushed out of the door.

I have alot of friends in Sydenham and none of them now drink in the Two Half, as they have all had trouble in there.

I am still spreading the word, most people i have spoken to all say the same.

Steer Clear.

Regards

Pj.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Apparently not an isolated problem with the Two Half's PJWSON.

Checkout this old posting from another usually reliable poster: http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... &sid=#1216

Stuart
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Replying to Stringfellow, the pub opposite the Golden Lion is the Dolphin - a beautiful building but very much in the tradition of Sydenham's dodgy boozers! It is closed - in fact there's a notice on the door saying that it has been reposessed... but I've heard that it's opening up again with a new manager - hopefully it will improve. And given that there is so much interest in the pub scene in Sydenham, perhaps the new management will be a bit more adventurous!
SamC

pubs in sydenham

Post by SamC »

hi everybody i would like to suggest the glamour lounge as a really nice venue. it is in the heart of sydenham. within easy reach. no need to drive. i said i would like to suggest the glamour lounge but to be honest i have never seen it open. i have tried at different times to get in but there is never anyone there. does anybody know.? :?:
Wispy Wonder

The Two Halves

Post by Wispy Wonder »

Arrrrggghhhh - 'The Two Halves' - 'The Too Hideous for Words' more like. It is such a nasty nasty hovel. The staff are utterly rude and the place is a filthy grot hole. I can't believe the brewery have allowed one of their premises to sink so low, especially one in the high st. Surely Sydenham deserves better.

PJSON is right to avoid the place and it seems that most people do. I was dragged in there a few Fridays ago and the only others there were some clearly under-aged teens. (They were swigging Aftershock from the bottle, which the bar girl just put back on the shelf - nice!)

Personally I'd like to see it pulled down - perferably with the staff still in it!

W. Wonder
lamberta

Post by lamberta »

I have always liked the two half's a lot :(
maria1971

Pubs in Sydenham

Post by maria1971 »

Does anyone know what 'The Bell' is like in Bell Green?
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

The Bell looks quite good from the outside - it seems to be well looked after.
LisaB

Prince Alfred

Post by LisaB »

This is a great pub, admittedly only small in comparison to others, however it has a brilliant atmosphere. The entertainment is varied and on often. Elvis is amazing. When you go in, make sure you have a look around on the walls and ceiling, the amount of knick nacks around is wicked. Each time you go in you see something new. They don't tolerate any misbehaving in here and don't have any off putting bouncers to bully people. The fish van outside is all good too. Bill has some great wares to sample. Go try and see for yourselves.