No Budget Horror Film

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Forest Hill on Film

No Budget Horror Film

Post by Forest Hill on Film »

Hi,

A no budget, guerrilla, down and dirty, feature film to be shot in Forest Hill.

Interested in filmmaking? Curious? Have a look at the website.

http://www.foresthillonfilm.co.uk

Thank you.
a_baron

Re: No Budget Horror Film

Post by a_baron »

Forest Hill on Film wrote:Hi,

A no budget, guerrilla, down and dirty, feature film to be shot in Forest Hill.

Interested in filmmaking? Curious? Have a look at the website.

http://www.foresthillonfilm.co.uk
Very interesting, I've been told I would make a very good villain for a silent film, but I don't think it was meant to be a compliment.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

I apologise if I come across as more snide and unpleasant than usual, but these shoestring efforts on behalf of local, penniless 'creatives' often fill me with a sense of dread followed by pity.

The reason being is that the quality of the end product - compared to professional standards - is usually so woeful and cringeworthy that the audience will have walked out before the opening credits have finished rolling. Which is a shame as I'm fully aware that these cinematic experiments are nearly always made with the very best of intentions.

And if I did want to watch entertainment made on a budget, I'd rather watch the hammy old government funded sex education videos I was forced to endure and stop myself (with very little success) sniggering through whilst in secondary school.
Forest Hill on Film

Ok, let me try to address some of your personal fears over this film, and no budget films in general.

Yes, I agree that many no budget films are indeed woeful. This can be through many different reasons, from just a boring storyling to poor sound, acting, camerawork etc etc. But there are also many shining examples, have you seen The Puffy Chair? Cavite? El Mariachi? Primer? And a thousand others. The cameras are getting cheaper and better all the time, 24p, letterboxing, depth of field adaptors etc can make the end product look pretty good.

There are also many 'professional' films that are unwatchable rubbish.

How many films have you seen made in Forest Hill? This will not play at a cinema, but it would be great to have a free viewing somewhere for locals.

This is about making a local film with local people for fun and experience.

You are yourself here a being a penniless 'creative' with your crabby post, looking down your nose and sneering at something trying to create a bit of positivity rather than negativity. Unlike you, I don't dread things that do not affect me, and I save my pity for the deserving of this world.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well the pudding is in the eating .... :wink:

A bitch-fest about something that does not yet exist is a bit pointless. I do hope FHF will allow us to feature their film on http://sydenham.tv. Everybody can then make up their own minds and the real blood of victim/producer/critic can fill these virtual portals.

Till then a gentle reminder that personal abuse is unwelcome in the Cafe. Dissenters will be force-fed last week's cake.

Admin
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

have you seen The Puffy Chair? Cavite? El Mariachi? Primer? And a thousand others.

No, though I doubt anyone outside of the simple cinema scene has either.

There are also many 'professional' films that are unwatchable rubbish.

I agree. Dude Where's My Car is a shining example.

How many films have you seen made in Forest Hill?

None. How many have you seen.
You are yourself here a being a penniless 'creative' with your crabby post, looking down your nose and sneering at something trying to create a bit of positivity rather than negativity.

You're spot on.
Duke of Clarence

Post by Duke of Clarence »

FHOF, take heart. I've just seen a pitch with great synopsis for a low budget horror. Check it out on Motorized Wheelchair, White Van, Dog, Cat and blossom post 307. It's a nightmare. Duke climbs behind chaise lounge, uncorks decanter and feels the fear....
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Well FHF - good luck if/when the idea takes off. I'll be watching from behind my sofa :)
Forest Hill on Film

Thanks, Biscuit,

BBW, I have no wish to lock horns with you. I respect your opinion, but the way you expressed it taunted my response.

DOC, read that, not bad, but could be improved by a themonuclear detonation somewhere in the second paragraph.

It is pointless to try to compare a film of this nature/budget to a film costing millions or tens of millions. We hope to rely on a good story well told. It'll be a bunch of people with little or no experience, little money, and consumer gear running riot over FH. If you wish to get involved, you are welcome. There is a small forum on the site too. Anyone with sound knowledge/equipment out there?

FHF