Water rates - quick question

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
SydenhamHillAndy

Water rates - quick question

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

Like a lot of people I've been looking at my outgoings recently and while I've been able to reduce a lot of costs there is one bill that is really bugging me.

We pay £48 a month for water which, to me, seems very high. We don't water the lawn, we take an average number of baths etc and we even have "water hippo"s in the loo.

It would appear we are on a meter but I wonder whether there is a leak or something that is taking the bill up to this amount.

Can anyone let me know whether this seems correct. Two adults and two children on a meter, does anyone have a similar bill?

Thanks, I know it is a mundane subject but you are a helpful bunch.
Tim Lund

Re: Water rates - quick question

Post by Tim Lund »

We've paid c. £25 pcm over the last year on our metered account, with two adults, two children, one at uni half the year - normal hygiene standards, I'd like to think. No lawn watering, and garden watering pretty well all from rainwater. We have a rainwater harvesting system for the loo and clotheswasher - and if that's saving us £15 pcm, then great, but I doubt if it's an economic payback on the cost :D
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Tim Lund wrote: normal hygiene standards, I'd like to think.
I've smelt Tim....don't believe him....:P
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

There's a little know organisation called the Consumer Council on Water http://www.ccwater.org.uk/, which exist to help consumers deal with Water Companies. When my allotments had a problem with a leaking pipe, they were superb - efficient and to the point. In the event the problem was NOT with Thames Water - but without them we would not have sorted it out.
SydenhamHillAndy

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

Thanks for the tips. It does seem like £48 a month is on the steep size and I wondered whether the meter may be at fault.

Strangely Thames water have written back to say I'm paying £19 a month when I can clearly see £48 going to them each month for the past two years so perhaps there is an accounting error somewhere.

Maybe I need to convince Mrs SydenhamHillAndy to pop in the shower with me to save water.... poor thing.
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

I just got a bill for £80 a month having paid £20 a month for ages on a meter (2 adults, 2 small). I rang up to complain and they said there might be a faulty meter and they would check out. I am now back to paying £20 a month.

However based on an earlier post I am going to call them again on Monday as I have heard nothing about the meter.....and just got a account statement to say we owe them £200 :(
mummycat

Post by mummycat »