local nursery recommendation

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
pocketpip

local nursery recommendation

Post by pocketpip »

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone was able to recommend any nurseries locally, either Sydenham or Forest Hill? I will have to think about returning to work in January and don't know where to start with looking for a nursery- my daughter will be 1 at this point. I realise that I will be lucky to get a place at any nursery at this point with the high demand around, but would at least like to get on a couple of waiting lists. Also if you have any idea about costs that would be really helpful

Any helpful advice will be gratefully received

Thank-you
charlieandpip

Re: local nursery recommendation

Post by charlieandpip »

I have friends who use Cornerstone (Jews Walk and Trewsbury Road), Crystals Day Nursery (Venner Road) and we use Kidsunlimited which is next to New Beckenham Train Station.

With regard to costs I know Kidsunlimited is at the top end as their hours are 7:30am to 6pm plus the prices have just gone up so we are going to be paying just over £50 a day for an under 3. Once they are over 3 then it gets a few pounds cheaper and you get the nursery / preschool grant which is worth about £40 a week.

Anyway all the councils have Family Information Serivces that should provide lists of local nursery schools. You will need to contact Lewisham and Bromley round here or else you can look at the Ofsted website but this is a pain as this list brings up local pre-schools that cover only short hours too so you need to wade through each entry looking at hours and age of children they take.....

Pip
KM

Post by KM »

We use Cuddly Bear Day Care in Panmure Road, run by Heidi Khandji. It's a brilliant place and our 2 year old has been there since she was 9 months and loves it. We are very happy with the care and love she gets from the staff. It is more expensive than Cornerstone on Jews Walk, probably less than Kids Unlimited though.
And they received Outstanding in their Ofsted recently.
I think you already realise this but you may find it tough getting a place for January. Persevere, ensure the nursery or childminder remembers you for all the right reasons - they are interviewing you as much as you are them. Good luck.
pocketpip

Post by pocketpip »

That's great, thankyou both
diskocheddar

Post by diskocheddar »

Both of my kids have been to Crystal Nursery on Venner Road next to Penge East Station. They've been quite happy there. I think there's a waiting list though. Cheers
Keef

Post by Keef »

KM wrote:We use Cuddly Bear Day Care in Panmure Road, run by Heidi Khandji. It's a brilliant place and our 2 year old has been there since she was 9 months and loves it. We are very happy with the care and love she gets from the staff. It is more expensive than Cornerstone on Jews Walk, probably less than Kids Unlimited though.
And they received Outstanding in their Ofsted recently.

Hi, we've heard great things about Cuddly Bear, but can't for the life of me find the Ofsted report on Ofsted's website. Could you post a link to it or something?
KM

Post by KM »

Hi
Try this link; http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxcare_reports ... id)/276849
and unique ref no; EY265596

Kate