Extending the home

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
maturin

Extending the home

Post by maturin »

I'm looking to make extra space at the back of my house. It's a Georgian three-bedroom. I don't have money for a proper ‘built’ extension, so I'd love to know what the alternatives are.

The Sunday supplements are full of ritzy and glitzy bespoke buildings and architecture. But these are way out of my price bracket.

I've already got a Scandinavian style log cabin down the bottom of the garden, so that's out. What I'm looking for is something that actually is part of the ‘fabric’ of the building. I'm open to the idea of a conservatory, and all the usual conservatory companies are regularly putting their flyers through our letterbox. However, experience with various kinds of pushy salesman in the past has put me off the idea of allowing any of their snake oil/time wasters through the front door.

Does anyone have any personal recommendations or left-field ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated.
stone-penge

Re: Extending the home

Post by stone-penge »

What do you want to use the space for?
When do you want to use the space?
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Maybe you should speak to an architect, they should be able to give you some ideas and solutions. The RIBA will be able to advise on a local one, and your be surprised it may not cost as you think!
maturin

Post by maturin »

Thanks Stone.

Everything, and as often as possible.
:-)
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

worth trying http://www.architect-yourhome.com/services.asp

they do a menu based approach to using an architect so you only pay for the bits you need.....

we used them for a heat loss survey as part of getting building control sign off and they were great,

CandP
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Seems to me you might want to consider a DIY polycarbonate roofed lean-to consevatory, something like these people sell:
http://www.fascias.com/en-gb/dept_251.html
( please note I don't know this firm or the quality of their product, just an example)

With this type of addition it will be important to thermally seperate it from the rest of the house to avoid extreme heat loss in the winter months.
Bram

Post by Bram »

Maturin:

Here's a local left field idea you might want to think about, if you're uncomfortable with paying qualified architect fees

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum ... 405,452627
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Paying an architect fees to ..ahem.. "design" a typical lean-to conservatory would be mental!
What design input is there in putting up a modest, standard type conservatory?
maturin

Post by maturin »

Thanks for the responses.

Binda seems a nightmare. Thanks for the heads up.

What I'm really looking for I suppose is a recommendation for a conservatory company that isn't run by conmen or imbeciles.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

maturin wrote:
What I'm really looking for I suppose is a recommendation for a conservatory company that isn't run by conmen or imbeciles.
Who else do you think would be building them?
:D
maturin

Post by maturin »

I know. But you live in hope...