Cheeseman in Lewisham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
karencheesy

Cheeseman in Lewisham

Post by karencheesy »

HI
I am having trouble tracing my GGrandfathers birth and family. He married Harriet Elmore (nee Rodger) in april 1901. His name is Charles Thomas Cheeseman and he states his father on his marriage cert as Stephen (deceased)

In 1901 census he states as being a soldier and born in Lewisham aged 38

In 1911 Census he states born in sydenham aged 60!!!

the only Stephen I can trace is with the spelling of Cheasman. In the 1861 Census Stephen Fanner Cheasman is living with Emma and he spells his sons names Charles and Henry as Cheeseman!!

Charles baptism is also spelt cheeseman 27th September 1857.

So am i dealing with the same family?? Stephen Fanner spells his name Cheasman all through the census and he also spells his sons as Cheasman in 1871 census.

I have hit this brick wall for 3 years and my dad is 70 in November and i have started the search again in hope i can give him a family tree for his birthday. As far as dad is concerned he has no relatives at all apart from my and my brother.

Please can someone help me

Karen Pearson :roll:
brian stimson

Re: Cheeseman in Lewisham

Post by brian stimson »

My Grandfather married a Mrs Ellen Elizabeth Cheeseman, widow, nee Bull, from Lewisham in 1927. As I understand Mrs Cheeseman had two sons although I don't know their first names. They lived at 23 Crossfield Street, Deptford after they were married. At the time of her marriage to my Grandfather she was 53 years old.