The Three Musketeers

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
LaHibernis

The Three Musketeers

Post by LaHibernis »

What a great production! We had a thoroughly enjoyable evening last night watching an excellent performance of swashbuckling fun. The puppetry was very effective and well executed, particularly in the second half and the director made great use of the garden. We particularly enjoyed the way that people were encouraged to return to their seats after the interval and the way that we were transported from France to England and back again. The acting was extremely good - well done everyone and thank you for a great night out!

If you haven't already bought tickets - go and buy one before it's too late!

We also went for the pre-theatre menu at the dolphin, which they very kindly served during the interval (difficult to get there much before 8 with small children to put to bed first) and they have clearly taken on board people's comments from last year - much more generous portions and all of it delicious.
charlieandpip

Re: The Three Musketeers

Post by charlieandpip »

Going to get tickets for this friday! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

P
x
stuart

Post by stuart »

A slightly biased review ...

Its not often you can compare Sydenham and Versailles ... but for eleven nights this year you can. And find in Sydenham's favour!

The outstanding feature of this production and what makes it unique for theatregoers is the imaginative way a rubbishy plot of land behind the Dolphin has been transformed by Michael (the landlord) and Jonathan (the Director) into a space that has for three consecutive years been transformed into a magical forest/palace (Midsummer Night's Dream), an English country garden/Berlin (Sherlock Holmes) and now to the seat of power in France with a brief excursion back to blighty. Here are a few pix:

ImageImageImage

As you can see it gives a fantastic opportunity for some complex swordfights which is exploited to the full. If only there could have been more blood but I guess the costumes cost too much!

The cast is mostly new young professional actors out of drama college. Hence enthusiasm, energy and no mutton dressed as lamb. However the lead is Rosalind Parker the mistress of gender bending. Midsummer Night's androgynous Puck is now Claud/Claudette D'Artagnan causing some amusing frisson with one of the musketeers. Indeed the fast moving plot is indespersed with some wry Kaufmanisms. My favourite was "I was born with a sword in my hand","Did your mother find that painful?" Also Michael Coghlan (last year's Watson) returns as a truly evil and slimey Cardinal Richelieu.

Will Birch (taking a break from his day job as King of France) has transformed the lighting stacked on two new towers parked in SJ Smiths yard. Sadly no one could transform the weather last week which was chilly and with the rain threat as challenging as the Cardinal's henchman Rochefort.

Slightly biased review? Well I had the privilege of seeing the last two productions (many times) for free. But I had to pay for this one. But it was well worth it last Friday night. So wrap up well and don't miss this unforgetable trip to medieval France for only £10/£8 (cons).

More info here: http://spontaneousproductions.com
More pix here: http://spontaneousproductions.com/three_musketeers.html

Stuart
Last edited by stuart on 25 Aug 2010 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

Two EXTRA DATES added due to popular demand - Tuesday 1st August and Sunday 5th September. Despite some inclement weather, ticket sales are booming so book your tickets now to avoid disappointment!

We've had two fantastic reviews already, in the Newshopper (see: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/leisure/83 ... _Sydenham/

and Time Out.

Audience feedback on show nights has been incredible, with most people telling us the show was 'fantastic', 'brilliant', 'amazing', 'excellent' and 'wonderful!' so why not check it out for yourselves.

It's suitable for all over 7 - but do bring warm clothing and blankets as the garden gets very cold after sunset.
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

Read the review from Time Out's Michael Hodges (a Sydenham resident):

I have walked into an alfresco production of 'The Three Musketeers' and it is brilliant. I can hear what people are saying and enjoy what they are doing, because the cast are right in front of me and not miles away. The script is funny, as are the special effects...The company, Spontaneous Productions, is only here till September (www.thedolphinsydenham.com), so if you are in south London and like swashbuckling, it may well be the best night out of the summer. And if you don't
like swashbucking, you shouldn't really be in south London.

We'll soon be adding some extra performance dates during the week of Monday 6th September Watch this space for more information!
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

Spontaneous Productions can confirm that we are adding THREE extra dates in addition to the two already announced!

The remaining performance dates are now:

TUESDAY 31st AUGUST
WEDNESDAY 1st SEPT
THURSDAY 2nd SEPT
FRIDAY 3rd SEPT (booking fast!)
SUNDAY 5th SEPT
+
WEDNESDAY 8th SEPT
THURSDAY 9th SEPT
FRIDAY 10th SEPT

tickets can be booked at Kirkdale Bookshop, 272 Kirkdale, Sydenham SE26 4RS or by phone 020 8778 4701 (during bookshop hours, NOT Sundays or BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY)
or online at http://www.sydenhamartsfestival.com
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Saw this on on Friday and very enjoyable it was too.
My only criticism is that the young girl playing Constance was talking at the same level as if she was having a chat over a cup of coffee, so I have absolutely no idea what she was saying unless she was 10ft away and directly in front me.
Other than that I thought everyone put in an excellent performance, particularly Dartanian.
Nature Boy

Post by Nature Boy »

When we went it sounded like Constance was miked up. Perhaps she is having trouble with her voice? No matter, we thoroughly enjoyed it. As LaHibernis says the food was particularly good. The Dolphin staff also did a good job getting people seated and fed. Look forward whatever Jonathan and the team decide to do next year. Bravo!

Now the thing is charlieandpip, will Surrey be able to live up to the high standards that Sydenham has set? :D
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

My wife, sons and I attended last evening and it was FANTASTIC! Thoroughly engrossing and rather witty. And the sword fighting was intense. Bravo! Looking forward to next years endeavours.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

au
Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We went last night. I have to say I thought it was great. It's brilliantly acted, adapted, the jokes are laugh out loud funny, the setting is perfect, it's inventive, clever, exciting, an absolute joy. If you haven't been to see it, please go. We haven't enjoyed a night out like that for ages. It's better than the last play we saw at the Regents Park Open Air theatre.

Along with the fantastic bubble theatre productions in Sydenham we are enjoying a real treat here locally. I'm glad this production has had such a good reception. Well done to all involved…and thankyou.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Blimey, Lee. That was certainly an Oscar-winning piece of promotional puffery. Which half of the horse do you play?

Only joking. No, this certainly sounds like something to look into. Sounds like fun. And as Lee gushed: an encouraging, up-and-coming local asset.

Bravo.