St Phillip's Infant School and St Barts junior school

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

I stand corrected - must try caramel tart as it sounds right up my street. Condensed milk is a bit too sweet even for me though.

Thanks for putting me straight though.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I remember my Granddad adding condensed milk to tea.
Not my kettle of fish.
spitnolan

Post by spitnolan »

Just on the subject of ‘seconds’ again.

Anyone attending St Barts Primary School during the Mr Timms era must remember him standing up towards the end of lunch and calling out, “Anymore for anymore?” which often resulted in a rush for seconds (not of course, if the only option was a choice of parsnips or greens).

It seems a much better option than just throwing the food away.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:)
"Seconds" are still offered if leftover food and time permits.

as far as many dinner ladies are concerned if food is left and thrown away then it is a crime!

but you have to realise that the kitchen is on a time limit to get the children back to lessons on time.
jetsmith

st philips and st barts

Post by jetsmith »

I attended both st philips and st barts from 1959 to 1965. I remember Miss Nash very well. I was given the job of mixing up the farleys rusks she used to feed her white poodle. In fact I saw her years later with her poodle! The dog was ancient, at least 18/20 years old and was being carried everywhere. Farleys Rusks are obviously good for you!
I remember Miss Partridge mostly for playing 'And did those feet in ancient times' and standing to play the last bit.
I too remember Mr Timms. He turned me upside down once in a science lesson!
My favourite teacher of all was Miss Patrick. She taught me to love books and left to go to Cyprus which was fairly war-torn at that time.
Thanks for reminding me of all that. Regards
bradfordroadgirl

Re: st philips and st barts

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

jetsmith wrote:I attended both st philips and st barts from 1959 to 1965. I remember Miss Nash very well. I was given the job of mixing up the farleys rusks she used to feed her white poodle. In fact I saw her years later with her poodle! The dog was ancient, at least 18/20 years old and was being carried everywhere. Farleys Rusks are obviously good for you!
I remember Miss Partridge mostly for playing 'And did those feet in ancient times' and standing to play the last bit.
I too remember Mr Timms. He turned me upside down once in a science lesson!
My favourite teacher of all was Miss Patrick. She taught me to love books and left to go to Cyprus which was fairly war-torn at that time.
Thanks for reminding me of all that. Regards
We were at those schools at exactly the same time so it figures that we were in the same class!
My first teacher in St Phillip's was Miss Atkins who left to teach blind children. Next came Mrs Syrrit and then Mrs Cowell, an Australian lady who I seriously thought was called Mrs Cow!

I went down to St Barts and had Miss Patrick who was lovely, followed by MISS ROTTEN COGGINS of whom I was terrified. I remember having a persistent cough and getting shouted at because it annoyed her! There was one boy in the class who she didn't seem to like and his life must have been hell, poor kid.

Then I was put into a small class led by Mr Howlett as I was considered not to have progressed well with Miss Coggin and had become very shy and nervous (no surprise there!!) and then on to Mr Timms. Mr Bleasdale was Headteacher back then and from his readings I developed a lifelong love of Shakespeare. I remember sooooooo well the opening bars to Jerusalem!

All 5 of my own children went to the new St Bart's and one is leaving year 6 this year (yes, had him very late!).

It's wonderful to find people who remember all this as many local people have moved away from the area etc.,
bradfordroadgirl

gillyjp wrote:Who remembers Gipsy Tart? - extremely yummy indeed. I had it last week in the garden centre cafe in Farnham, but this was the first time since my school days - delicious. I have tried to make it myself but it didnt come out quite right - probably my ingredients were not exactly the same as the school used.

If anyone has a recipe please let me know......
here you go gilly! I cheat and buy ready made sweet pastry cases in Sainsburys and you need two of them for this amount.

1 400g (14oz) Tin of Evaporated Milk
340g (12oz) Dark Muscovado Sugar
1 10inch Pre-baked shortcrust pastry case
Pre-heat oven to 200°C: 400°F: Gas 6.
Whisk evaporated milk and sugar together for approximately 10 minutes
Until light and fluffy and coffee coloured.
Pour the mix into the pastry case.
Bake for 10 minutes.
The surface will appear slightly sticky but will set completely when left to cool.
Serve cold.
Serves 6
jetsmith

st philips and st barts

Post by jetsmith »

I too remember Miss Coggins. She made me stand in the corner because I forgot my 7 times table. I still have trouble with it today and I'm a teacher myself! My mum came up to the school to tell her off for bullying me. Do you remember collecting and swapping buttons and/or American civil war cards in her class? We used to play battles out in the playground but the girls were only allowed to be horses not soldiers!!
bradfordroadgirl

No memories of ever playing with the boys or swapping cards etc., It was my least favourite year! I can remember the fallen log up the top of the grass playground - it was still there years later!

I remember the country dancing classes though. Miss Coggin would put 'Brighton Camp' on her trusty gramophone and off we'd go, scared to put a step wrong!

We also had a radio singing lesson called 'Singing Together'.

I don't remember why it happened but I ran home upset one day and my mother also came in and called Miss C a bully - probably most of our mothers did!
spitnolan

Post by spitnolan »

I don't remember a country dance called 'Brighton Camp' but distinctly remember one called 'Black Nag'.

On the subject of music, the first movements of Beethoven’s 5th symphony and the Moonlight Sonata and Mozart’s 40th symphony are very much tied in with my memories of St Barts (1969/73) as they were often played to accompany the pupils filing in to the hall for the morning assemblies.
Last edited by spitnolan on 19 Sep 2012 02:44, edited 2 times in total.
14BradfordRoad

Re: St Phillip's Infant School and St Barts junior school

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

The 2 dances I remember were 'The Dashing White Seargent' and 'Picking up peasepods',
they're the names as I remember them. We used to be marched down to the annex near
cobbs corner to perform these country dances. Mrs Cowell was always there and I believe
taught a class in the annex, thread has reminded me of her Aussie accent too.
I went to the old St Barts School between 1961 - 1967. My teachers in order were; Miss
King, Miss Rochelle, Mrs Mahaa (probably spelt wrong?), Mr Howlett (and his war stories),
Miss Partridge, finally Mr Timms. Headteacher was Mr Bleasdale.
School nurse was Mrs Grigg. School crossing patrol (Lollipop lady) Mrs Salt. Also Mrs Weal
who I believe was my dinner lady (bit vague though!). Caretaker - Mr Forbes who lived in
the little School house.
Our year went on a Swanage School journey, it was great. What memories and my memory
has suprised me (normally not that great)!
Last edited by 14BradfordRoad on 29 Oct 2011 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

"Gathering peascods" I think

[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8947JMKatek[/youtubes]
Okepinay

Post by Okepinay »

14BradfordRoad wrote:I went to the old St Barts School between 1961 - 1967. My teachers in order were; Miss
King, Miss Rochelle, Mrs Mahaa, Mr Howlett (and his war stories), Miss Partridge, finally
Mr Timms. Headteacher was Mr Bleasdale.
School nurse was Mrs Grigg. School crossing patrol (Lollipop lady) Mrs Salt. Also Mrs Weal
who I believe was my dinner lady (vague!). Caretaker - Mr Ford who lived in the little
School house.
Our year went on a Swanage School journey, it was great. What memories and my memory
has suprised me!

My partner and his sister went to St Barts in Kirkdale from 1959 to 1970, he said he thought the dinner lady was Miss Gillman, his school journey was to Sandown Isle of Wight.
Sadly he thinks all the above names will be dead by now :-(
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

You are quite correct it was Gathering not Picking.
Miss Coggin was famous for making pupils dance to this . She had the annex classroom at St Barts Junior second year . This was in the old church hall , which for many years has been some very mundane houses.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

That's the dance in the video posted so obviously 'gathering' not 'picking', an
indication of how much I hated being made to dance and probably treading on
lots of feet in the process! :?
Later on I much prefered Cricket, rounders and football played in the playground
with Mr Howlett who coached us quite hard taking no prisoners. We used real
solid cricket balls which really hurt your knuckles every now and again. :shock:

I work in a primary school these days and school life is very different to those
old days at St Barts.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

14BradfordRoad wrote:so obviously 'gathering' not 'picking'
Perhaps you also danced

[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVXCqUMeVGI[/youtubes]
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Tim :lol: :lol: ,
I was probably trying to do Gathering Peascods and Picking up sticks, but both
at the same time! :shock: No wonder I just couldn't get that country dancing quite
right and just ended up treading on the other kids feet! That would explain my
total incompetence, I'm still no twinkle toes to this day!
That said I was always fine at the part where you took a bow at the end.. :)

Does anyone remember the scratchy sounding gramophone that this music was
played on, was it the needle that was totally worn out or the record they were
playing? The needle used to jump if you really stamped your feet as you danced to
it, sometimes the record used to get stuck which caused major confusion!

Does anyone have any pics of the old St Barts school?
Or even better of some of those teachers from years ago?
Sally Ann

Post by Sally Ann »

I think I have some pics of the old St. Barts - I went there in the 1950's. The last class after Mr Timms was Mr Williams when I was there. He was sooo strict. Does anyone remember him? I'll go away and have a look for some pics.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I used to have some old pictures of St Philip's and St Bart's not sure if I have now.
Will have a look

Was there from 54 to 60. At the first remember well Mrs Sirut and Miss Nash and at the later
Miss Cresswell , Miss Coggin , Miss Partridge and good old Mr Williams
Sally Ann

Post by Sally Ann »

I have found two pictures of St. Barts with a load of children and Mrs Grigg in them. A class photo and a picture of Mr Bleasdale with some of the teachers. I am new to this forum and haven't got a clue how to post them on here. Any one help? The class photos if anyone is interested is somewhere around l954 - 60