St Phillip's Infant School and St Barts junior school

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Eagle

Re: St Phillip's Infant School and St Barts junior school

Post by Eagle »

Hi Sally
Regret I have not but someone will.

What years were you there.

Mr Bleasedale , what a terrible head. Used to have to listen to his heroes and heroines every morning in assembly
Sally Ann

Post by Sally Ann »

Hi Eagle

Must have been at St. Barts 1956 - 60. Before that I was at St. Phillips, Wells Park Rd.

I have a great picture - you never know you may be in it!

Unfortunately I was not a fan of Mr. Bleasdale, he was always picking on me!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hi Sally
Did you go on the school journey to Swanage in 60, with Timms and Miss Coggin.
Sally Ann

Post by Sally Ann »

No Eagle, I was never fortunate enough to go to Swanage but my best friend at Barts went. She got homesick! A week away with Miss Coggins i would hate to think about!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sally
Mr Timms more of a worry than Miss C .

I will PM you.
Edale Close
Location: 250 miles distant - Half way up on the left - too far from home

Post by Edale Close »

Was just looking up St Barts church which made me think of the school... and I tripped over this thread...

From my short memory of the school... (I moved away quite young) I note that while Mr Timms, Miss King and Mr Bleasedale feature in peoples recollections I can see no mention of Mrs Redmain (Spelling?) - I remember maths lessons from her with her teaching us about remainders - with the obvious play on her similar sounding surname.

My fondest memories were of ginger nut biscuits at "Playtime".. a taste I still indulge today. I do remember being herded down Jews Walk on our way to St Barts Church for a service - possibly the 150th "birthday" of the school? This would have been around the mid 60s. I also vaguely recall a sports day in a park - possibly Mayow Park?

Ironically perhaps, my home at that time was located on the site that the new school occupies. Having returned to London in adulthood for a period I was stuck by the "wrongness" of the sight driving down Kirkdale and seeing the the old school missing.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Did not know Miss Redmain as left in 60.

You were right about sports days in Mayow Park. used to walk there over The German Bridge.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Edale Close wrote: Ironically perhaps, my home at that time was located on the site that the new school occupies. Having returned to London in adulthood for a period I was stuck by the "wrongness" of the sight driving down Kirkdale and seeing the the old school missing.
You must have lived in the prefabs backing onto Brasted Close?
I vaguely remember Mrs Redmain too, I left St Barts in 1967. :wink:
Edale Close
Location: 250 miles distant - Half way up on the left - too far from home

Post by Edale Close »

Yeah I lived there for a while. was a handy place to live in the winter when my dads works van wouldn't start on a winters morning.... Just turn right at the top of the road :D My mother worked for a short time at Wavy Line store on Kirkdale which ISTR was owned by a guy called Wally. St Barts was an easy walk from home, and I even had a choice of routes.

I think it was in Miss Kings class that we grew Cress in the classroom and when it was ready we had cress sandwiches in class. right up to my 20s I kept my old St Barts school tie, but it was mislaid when I moved back to London for a while.
Tony

Post by Tony »

In reply to 14bradfordroad:

St Bart's school song (certainly in the 1970s) was William Blake's "Jerusalem".

I well recall the bullying nature of Mr Howlett: trying to demonstrate that certain girl pupils trusted him, by suspending them, in his arms, from first floor windows; giving at least one boy each year the "old shaking treatment" (whereby they were mercilessly flung around the classroom).

Also Mrs Shuttler: Yorkshire accent; seemed to have an utter and very poorly veiled loathing for any male pupil in her class - all the more so if the poor lad also had a brain even moderately more powerful than her own (barely double-figures IQ).

I had great respect for Mr Bleasdale and Mr Timms - although I think it sad that both seemed so totally oblivious to Howlett's grossly inappropriate behaviour and Shuttler's rank ineptitude. But what do I know? I survived, and went on to enter the teaching profession myself, some decades later!

:wink:
Recycled teenager

Post by Recycled teenager »

Response to the origianal post about St Bartholomew's school, which is now in The Peak, off Sydenham Park Road. Up until recently I worked there and know that they have a wonderful acheive of photos, punishment books and what is called 'the green book'. This shows all the names of the children that started each year. It might be worth a visit, I know that I welcomed 'old' pupils to share memories.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Recycled teenager wrote:Up until recently I worked there and know that they have a wonderful acheive of photos, punishment books and what is called 'the green book'. This shows all the names of the children that started each year. It might be worth a visit, I know that I welcomed 'old' pupils to share memories.
Just wondering; Do they include the names of pupils from the old Kirkdale school?
If yes then I definitely would figure in the 'Naughty' book! :| :|

Thanks for the info. :D
spitnolan

Post by spitnolan »

Miss Redmain, was my first teacher at St Barts, and remember her as being very friendly. One thing I can recall about her was keeping the class up to date with the Fischer v Spassky chess match which was going on at the time. It seemed everyone caught the chess bug, this lead to a chess competition in the school library.
Last edited by spitnolan on 30 Oct 2013 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
tbc

Post by tbc »

I WENT TO ST BARTS ANNEX IN 1968/69
I REMEMBER GETTING SLAPPED FOR DRINKING OUT THE FOUNTAIN AT END OF PLAYTIME
EVERYONE HAD TO WRITE RIGHT HANDED
BOYS GOT HIT WITH SLIPPER OR BAT
I ALSO REMEMBER IN NEW SCHOOL BUILDING THE HEADMASTER KEPT US IN UNTIL WE SANG LOUDER
I DID GO ON A SCHOOL TRIP TO SWANAGE
1971 OR 2 WENT TO NORTHBROOK LEE GREEN
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

TBC

You seem to have had a good time then. All things you mention were standard at that time ( or certainly was in late 50's ).

I bet everyone who went to St Barts and St P's can still do mental maths much quicker than our younger counterparts.

I expect you were a milk monitor.
michael

Post by michael »

Eagle wrote:I bet everyone who went to St Barts and St P's can still do mental maths much quicker than our younger counterparts.
I bet that today they teach everyone the correct use of the caps lock button. (Tip: You can use your left hand if you are that way inclined)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

True Michael.

I was not brought up with all this new technology. I recall being impressed with telex at work.

Also in each class in both schools, apart from the reception year all other 6 years had one teacher and usually 40 children.
Do not recall any teacher having problems . Just whacked any offender and in those days the parents nearly always backed the teacher.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote: Also in each class in both schools, apart from the reception year all other 6 years had one teacher and usually 40 children.
Do not recall any teacher having problems . Just whacked any offender and in those days the parents nearly always backed the teacher.
Ah yes Eagle - The good old days!

I must have given the teachers 'just a little bit' of a problem because I got sent up to see Mr Bleasdale for a damn
good old fashioned thrashing! OOoouch - OOooww !! :shock:

Made me the man I am today - Which could probably explain a lot too! :lol: :lol:
(PS: Pic is not Mr Bleasdale. I could only find Jimmy Edwards pic, but should give an idea!)
Last edited by 14BradfordRoad on 8 Aug 2013 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
michael

Post by michael »

I hardly think this is the thread to discuss the merits or otherwise of beating children.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

michael wrote:I hardly think this is the thread to discuss the merits or otherwise of beating children.
Michael, you obviously didn't go to St Barts 'back in the day'! :lol: :lol: :lol: