Best of the cheap

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
grant0

Best of the cheap

Post by grant0 »

Hi Sydenham! I'm new to the area and am hoping for some local guidance. For better or for worse, there are loads of cheap chip shops/kebab shops in the area, each with varying degrees of adherence to food safety regulations and quality. And I gotta be honest: sometimes, I get that special feeling that can only be satisfied by consuming incredible amounts of grease. Surely some are better than others, so would anyone care to share their experiences so I can avoid at least the worst of the food poisoning?
mikej

Re: Best of the cheap

Post by mikej »

Good topic for a post! I'd be very interested in a reply too.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Well, I've been meaning to try it, now that my family's stopped being vegetarian, but I noticed Supreme Fish Bar, 135 Sydenham Rd is proudly showing a four stars under the 'scores on the door' scheme, so worth a try.

http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/sear ... _sort=DESC
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

The place I do buy fish and chips is the one this side of Penge East station, a sort of treat when I'm off to a possibly boring evening meeting about allotments in Bromley. Tastes good, but I can't find any reports on the scores on the doors site.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I vote for the supreme fish bar. They are really friendly (you can eat in if you want), the chips are great, good price. Never every had a bad experience, it's always been good. I haven't tried Penge East, but I dont have to! I've tried a kebab from next door to Supreme and it was 'orrible, I haven't ventured near one since.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Supreme fish bar gets my vote. They cook the fish fresh so you might have to wait five or ten minutes, but it's worth it. The place is spotlessly clean and the guys who run it are really nice.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
sydderslass

Post by sydderslass »

The place near Penge East gets our house vote...chips are always those lovely crunchy ones that are soft inside..mmm...never had a soggy battered sausage from there either (!) Not sure what this says about me but have trawled this site for ages, reading views on High St, station gates and pound shops/hardware stores and yet its chip shops that drives me to actually post something. Hmmm...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Welcome sydderslass

Interesting that it's a discussion of chippies that gets you going ... rather than wondering what it says about you, maybe you could say what, to you, it says about this site. You've prompted me to some further ruminations in the Town Asylum

http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... 711#p42711