Rolling Stones in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!

Moderator: frenzarin

Bovine Juice

Re: Rolling Stones in Sydenham

Post by Bovine Juice » 26 May 2019 09:15

lukekelly wrote:
12 Jul 2012 14:00
According to this month's Mojo magazine article about Brian Jones and the Stones' earliest period, a schoolboy Mick Jagger spent a year rehearsing with his very first band in a house in Alexandra Road!
I can't find anything about this on the web. Anybody know anything more about the Alexandra Road connection? Seems extremely dubious that a Dartford schoolboy would be travelling to Penge/Sydenham for a year.

stuart

Post by stuart » 26 May 2019 11:07

Bill Wyman was brought up by his aunt in Penge. His autobiography makes much of the formation of the group and the bonding (or otherwise) between members. If he was aware of a Penge connection with Mick I would have thought he would have mentioned it. But I don't remember any mention. Mind you its been a few years since I read it.

Stuart

Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice » 31 May 2019 09:07

stuart wrote:
26 May 2019 11:07
Bill Wyman was brought up by his aunt in Penge. His autobiography makes much of the formation of the group and the bonding (or otherwise) between members. If he was aware of a Penge connection with Mick I would have thought he would have mentioned it. But I don't remember any mention. Mind you its been a few years since I read it.

Stuart
I read it more recently. I think his family moved to Lower Sydenham some time after the Stones were formed but by then he was an adult and not home much. In fact he was a bit of a snob and not proud of his working class roots so has a habit of referring to "going back to Beckenham" even though he was actually referring to Penge.