Garden waste - how to get rid of it via the Council?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
KM

Garden waste - how to get rid of it via the Council?

Post by KM »

Does anyone know how I get rid of garden waste via the council (pruned shrubs, weeds etc)? Something about buying special garden waste bags? The Lewisham website is still down, so if anyone has done this recently, please let me know.
Thanks
chrisj1948

Re: Garden waste - how to get rid of it via the Council?

Post by chrisj1948 »

Lat year, between March and November, Lewisham organised garden waste pickup at weekends from the Girton Road car park. With luck they will do it again this year.

I try to compost as much as possible, including tree prunings which I put through a shredder first, but last year we had a ton of ivy to dispose of and Girton Road was a comfortable wheelbarrow journey from our house.

Regards
Chris
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The bags cost £10 a roll for ten bags. You can get them from any Lewisham library (while we still have them) or you can call the council on Envirocall (8314 7171) and they'll drop some through your letter box. When you've filled the bags you call the same number and they pick them up from outside your house. So basically it costs £1 a bag, but they are quite big and if you let everything rot down for a week or so you can get half as much in again!

The Girton Road and other weekend drop-off points have been in operation for 2 years. If they are on again this year, they should start next month sometime.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
KM

Post by KM »

Thank you - will hold out for Girton Road. Kate
KM

Post by KM »

I've spoken to Lewisham today and it will run again from March - possibly from 19th, until November