Lost mobile phone - Mayow Park

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Yellow Peril

Lost mobile phone - Mayow Park

Post by Yellow Peril »

I know it's a long shot, but my 11 year old lost her phone on Friday at around 1:30pm in Mayow Park. Thankfully, it's only a very cheap bog-standard Nokia, but if anyone's found it I'd really appreciate its return.
Regards.
steviepowers

Re: Lost mobile phone - Mayow Park

Post by steviepowers »

sorry I don't know anything about your phone... abit off topic but let me know if you find it... rather found your post interesting on looking for stuff you may have lost on forums, wondering if actually works... :)
stuart

Post by stuart »

Yellow Peril wrote:Thankfully, it's only a very cheap bog-standard Nokia, but if anyone's found it I'd really appreciate its return.
If not it shouldn't be too painful. Most operators will send a replacement SIM in a couple of working days and you can get a brand new phone for very little using this great site:http://www.hotukdeals.com/mobiles/deals/hot

PAYGs for a tenner or less can be used with contract SIMs from the same network (if you use Asda, Tesco, Virgin etc you can google to find which of the major networks they piggyback - eg a T-Mobile phone will work with a Virgin SIM). Alternatively get an unlocked phone or look for a mobile that you can unlock for free.

If you want to push the boat out a bit - IMHO the greatest bargain is the Orange San Francisco smart Android phone. Can be unlocked in seconds for free to work with any network - £79 for something that some people think is better than an iPhone - well the camera is complete naff but if you want functionality without being ripped off by Steve Jobs than its amazing value. But get a data inclusive tariff or turn off mobile data (internet will still work using wifi).

Stuart
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

stuart wrote:If you want to push the boat out a bit - IMHO the greatest bargain is the Orange San Francisco smart Android phone. Can be unlocked in seconds for free to work with any network - £79 for something that some people think is better than an iPhone - well the camera is complete naff but if you want functionality without being ripped off by Steve Jobs than its amazing value. But get a data inclusive tariff or turn off mobile data (internet will still work using wifi).

Stuart
I bought one of those a couple of months ago. After I had used up the 'compulsory' Orange PAYG allowance I unlocked it and switched to GiffGaff (a self-service child of O2), because they offered the best value for data. It really needs to be de-branded, because the default 'apps' installed by Orange will suck the battery dry within a day even if you do not use the phone. Apart from the high battery consumption I reckon it was good value for money. My favourite game with it is to turn on the SatNav facility whilst I am traveling by train, program in my destination, and then watch it go quietly mad trying to adapt to the train route.

Regards
Chris
Yellow Peril

Post by Yellow Peril »

Thanks, guys!
I appreciate the replies. Stuart, I'll have a peek at the link.
It was, indeed, a long shot and I wasn't realistically expecting its return.
I don't wish to fork out much on a replacement phone. Fortunately, she doesn't mind what kind of phone is attached to the end of her arm, as long as it dials out and can receive and send texts!
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

A progress report on my Orange San Franciso. A couple of days ago I took the plunge and de-branded it by installing an Android 2.2 ROM called Swedish_Spring. This, quite apart from giving a much less cluttered phone, has on-demand clock frequency adjustment, so the battery life has doubled. I am now satisfied enough with the new phone to discontinue my old contract and switch the number.

Regards
Chris

PS. Flashing a new ROM onto the phone has given me a considerable number of Brownie Points with my children, who seem briefly prepared to view me as an equal rather than a dinosaur.