FINE GOURMET FOODS & CAFE! COMING SOON

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
jascm21

FINE GOURMET FOODS & CAFE! COMING SOON

Post by jascm21 »

SYDENHAM is such a great place to live though I feel it really needs something to lift it up. I believe Sydenham was a really nice place years ago to walk up the high street and have coffee but now everyone has to travel to East Dulwich, Croyden, Bromely & London. It has a large number of hairdressers, a hand full of restaurants & pubs, Lidl's, Somerfields and a range of small shops. I would really love to bring something a little different. This Delicatessen/cafe would have a range of fine foods, continental meats, antipasto range, gourmet cheeses and italian breads and a great cappucino or espresso, panini or ciabatta ect. The Only problem is finding a great shop. I have notice in the high street there are a number of empty shops but no notice of leases. If anyone knows the owners of these shops or can help me I am really keen to bring Sydenham to life. I have 15 years as delicatessen/cafe manager with everything ready to rock & roll.
Last edited by jascm21 on 8 Jul 2006 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
jascm21

DELI/CAFE

Post by jascm21 »

just to add to my message yesterday, I have seen a lot of you look at my add but no-one has message back. DO YOU THINK SYDENHAM NEEDS A CONTINENTAL DELICATESSEN/CAFE.SOME WHERE TO HAVE A GREAT CAPPUCCINO AND PANINI. I would like to read your thoughts.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Hi

I don't doubt that people are still getting over the shock that someone is actually going to open a coffee shop. Good for you. I know that the lewisham website has a database of shops for lease, or maybe you could contact Julie Sutch our Town Centre Manager for assistance, I'm sure she would be happy to hear from you (all her details are on the lewisham website I think - pls correct me if I am wrong). It would be great boost for the high street. Just make sure it's big enough to hold everybody as I'm sure you'll be swamped!!! :lol: Good Luck
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Yes, good luck indeed. I would certainly visit. Keep us posted on how you get on.
jascm21

Post by jascm21 »

thankyou for your replies it great to get the feed back keep it coming.
kster

Post by kster »

DO YOU THINK SYDENHAM NEEDS A CONTINENTAL DELICATESSEN/CAFE.SOME WHERE TO HAVE A GREAT CAPPUCCINO AND PANINI.
Is the Pope a Catholic? One of the big things that people moan about in this area is the lack of such a facility. On the coffee shop / cafe front I'm sure there is demand; Be it Mums with young children who want either to grab a cappuccino on the way to the park, or a place to meet up in the afternoon (something my wife and her friends are always wanting). Or somewhere nice for lunch, or for a home worker like myself, somewhere to get a break with a coffee, snack and a paper. I know of quite a few people who fall into one of the above categories and would regularly use a nice place.

At the moment we have to go to either Waitrose or East Dulwich for the Delicatessen items that you talk about. If we can get those in locally then fantastic.

If I had the experience and knowledge to run such a place, then I've have opened one years ago.

Good luck and I hope you find a suitable shop (make it a large one).
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Julie Sutch, Town Centre Manager, can be called on 8699 1064 at her office in Forest Hill Library - I'm sure she would be most pleased to hear from you.

Good luck!
jascm21

Post by jascm21 »

:P Thankyou to all that have reply My husband and I took a walk up the high street on Saturday and placed slips on all the empty shops that we thought would be good. We both love the look of the old gym opposite the train station. WHAT DO YOU THINK? a great place to grab your coffee and a continental roll on your way to work LOVELY JUBBLY. We also like the look of the old pine shop opposite the greyhound pub.

WE REALLY THINK IT WOULD BE GREAT FOR SYDENHAM AND COMMUNITY.
jascm21

Post by jascm21 »

:lol: Can anyone let us know who owns the old chemist next door to the hsbc bank? Has been empty for years and my question is why????
It would be great as a delicatessen fine foods cafe. Love the front glass it has so much charm to it.
Monica

Post by Monica »

You can open your cafe/deli in my loungeroom if you like. Please promise us you're not teasing us, we need something like this.
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Machrays (the chemist) was bought by Bob Rihal - owner of Makepeace, The Pharmacy and Wise the Chemists all in Sydenham Road.

As I understand it Machrays is "licenced" as a chemist and what with Boots and Superdrug there are already enough chemists in this part of Sydenham. Whether this has any bearing on its remaining closed, I do not know.

The state of Machrays is a disgrace - there is a scrap of poster in the window advertising the 2004 Sydenham Music Festival. Perhaps Mr Rihal should tell local residents of his plans (short or longterm) for this shop. At the very least he could get the shop window cleaned up.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I'd be delighted to see a new deli/cafe. Good luck!
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

This would be great - I think the old pine shop would be good and complement the kirkdale bookshop which is excellent! Good luck - I will definately be a visitor!
Moodle

Much needed!

Post by Moodle »

My friend and I have both moved to Sydenham over the past 18 months and spend a great part of our time bemoaning the lack of a good coffee shop.

Of the possible sites you've listed I'd definitely follow up on the pine shop but would probably skip the old gym near the station. Having a flat that overlooks the ticket office I get a lot of "local colour" including gangs of lads intimidating passengers, shouting matches outside the taxi office and a range of fellas who seem to think all semi-dark corners can be used as public toilets :shock: . Bah humbug - spot the local grouch! :wink:

Don't abandon the plans though (and sorry if you've just put a down payment on the lease - I promise I'll visit anyway).
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I'd love to see a nice deli/coffee shop very much indeed, so wish you luck!

Personally I pass the old pine shop a lot and think it is a lovely shop front with a lot of potential. However, I do worry there is not much footfall outside so this is a definite downside - passing trade will probably be important for impulse purchases.

In this respect the old gym has got to be a real contender - all the commuters passing by, who are more likely the people with a bit of money to spend on a coffee and croissant on the way to work and picking up something for dinner on the way home (but then you have to make sure you're open at commuter-friendly times). However it lacks character and is not so well placed for weekend/mid-day trade.

The old pharmacy I think would be ideal - gets passing trade (great high street location) and is a characterful shop.

I actually think you'd probably be successful in any of those locations though, because the demand is definitely there.
jascm21

Post by jascm21 »

:lol: I would like to thankyou all for your replys and hope that some one will do something with the empty shops in the high street. Sydenham is a great place and has some nice things but lacks in so many areas. We have been looking at other areas to start our business and found a great shop in Crystal palace so you might have to come and see us there. Maybe one day when find out about the pine shop or the cemist we might open that too. So we will keep in touch. :P
leaf

Post by leaf »

what a shame,i was looking forward to a nice deli!
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Jascm21,

Just out of curiosity was it a lack of suitable sites in Sydenham that forced you to go to CP or (I am being slightly contentious here) other reasons??

I am assuming you are still looking at the forum and haven't caught the 202 bus up the hill yet!
Sowden

Post by Sowden »

Hi,

Firstly, I too am an admirer of Tomorrow's Pine, I batter my wife's ears with ideas for the building, so I am really glad that other people have taken notice of its potential.

Following this thread has confused me, has the potential developer definately gone for CP or is there still a glimmer of hope? There is another thread that seems to suggest that not all is lost.

My opinion is that Sydenham definately needs a good cafe, as has been suggested. I think the business potential in setting up in the old gym is massive, but the fact that 2 units in the development are sitting idle contradicts this theory. Although Tomorrow's Pine isn't on the main route for many I believe that if marketed properly it could be a real winner i.e. leafletting the station or doing something in conjunction with Kirkdale Bookshop.

Ms potential cafe owner, please don't give up on us?! My wife and I spend at least 100 pounds a year in Zuckers and that is just popping in occasionally.

'Build it and they will come!'
Annie

Post by Annie »

:cry:
I'm surprised if anyone opens another cafe in Sydenham in either the Pine Shop or the Gym because at the end of the day there is no where to park!so passing trade would be non existent.
also we have two cafes(Semas and The hill top one) and chefs delight and the wimpy.so i dont see the potential for another one, i would like to see other shops open up not hairdressers or phone shops or nail shops etc the £ shops make Sydenham look crap i would like to see them shut own.
Argos/B&Q/nice big Sainsburys etc would liven it all up a good shoe shop would be nice, even Penge highstreet is better than Sydenhams at the moment :cry: