LIST THE THINGS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN SYDENHAM

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
jascm21

LIST THE THINGS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN SYDENHAM

Post by jascm21 »

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF SYDENHAM AND WHAT WOULD BRING IT BACK TO LIFE FOR ALL AGES. PLEASE PLACE YOUR THOUGHTS. I WILL THEN MAKE A SUBMIT A LIST. :
Last edited by jascm21 on 10 Jul 2006 07:45, edited 3 times in total.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

A decent pub!! PLEASE!
Annie

Post by Annie »

some decent shops! instead of all this mismash of shops that have sprung up over night.
soulfood

Post by soulfood »

Agree. A decent pub. Hands down biggest necessity for my sanity. And something like a Cafe Nero might help to draw in some new money.
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

a large bulldozer
jascm21

Post by jascm21 »

very :roll: funny!!!, please try to be a little more helpful on this. Its for your town. :D [/quote]
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Yes, not funny at all.

I would like to see the end of so many nail bars, hairdressers/barbers and pound shops. The drunks that are always in the front bit of Home Park could do with moving on. We need nice cafes and maybe a nice furniture shop?????
leaf

Post by leaf »

all of these shops serve the locals!

yes have new shops to suit different tastes,but at the expense of well used shops that dont happen to be to your taste?

move to blackheath,dulwich etc,oh no sorry,you cant can you? you could only afford sydenham,so you'll keep trying to change it into something it isnt.

how about rounding up all of the real locals and dumping them somewhere else far far away?
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

:idea: What an excellent idea Leaf. :roll:
leaf

Post by leaf »

well....

it gets right on my t1ts,i thought this would be a website about and for dwellers and lovers of sydenham,but instead,what alot of moaners!

sydenham is what it is,it always has been.

im just fed up with all these types moaning "ooh,we havent got anywhere to go for a coffee/decent pub"

go to chefs delight like everyone else!

ffs

or if not to your taste go elsewhere!
jascm21

Post by jascm21 »

Well what can I say to you Leaf!!

The objective of this question was just to see what people would like to maybe improve Sydenham. You seem so bitter there is not only a population that serve the locals and need the nic nac shops but there are alot of us who would enjoy a little change. I created this message so I was able to obtain information to bring foward to council and if you dont like Sydenham then why dont you move from this site. I can afford to move anywhere but I have chosen Sydenham cause I like it !!!
kster

Post by kster »

Leaf - I'm a bit confused. In this thread you are moaning about people wanting to improve the area and then in the thread on the Dolphin you moan that the Dolphin is in the "sh1tty end" of town. Do you believe that the whole of Sydenham is great or do you believe that parts of it could be improved?
sydenham Don

Post by sydenham Don »

I agree

Although I see where you are coming from leaf, I dont understand your point.

So you want Sydenham to stay in a time warp, with lots of pound shops, questionable greasy spoons and a Boots that looks like it straight out of Life on Mars? How do you think the area could be improved (barring shipping all of the evil bourgeois out of Nam?). Seriously, what have you got against improvement? And if you don't think it's improvement, what would be improvement in your eyes?

Love to hear your thoughts

SD
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Leaf,

I have lived in Sydenham virtually all my life and have owned 3 homes with the last 2 being in Sydenham. I too can afford Blackheath, but choose to live here. All I am saying is no more pound shops and hairdressers - not to scrap them all. We just have far too many.
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

This is a no win situation.

We are asked what changes we should like. Elsewhere some of us have made constructive suggestions - which would include the demolition of certain components of Sydenham Road.

The answer? Where will the money come from? That ugly monstrosity is beautiful....

Some people simply do not want the place to change. However, in its present form, it will either have to change or become a shopping desert.

I still favour pedestrianising a large part of Sydenham Road and yes... the traffic displaced will have to use the trunk roads provided for the purpose. Sydenham Road is not designated a trunk route.

The Sydenham Society have a plan for something they call the "Sydenham Gateway". No details of what they propose seem to be available.... apart from a few phrases about turning narrow entrances to a couple of streets into "green areas". That would be a waste of money.

Let the politicians clamour "no funds". The public should be clamouring for what is really needed. Where there is a will there is a way and the false claims about "no funds" should be disregarded.
leaf

Post by leaf »

erm,i think you all have misunderstood my post!

I LOVE SYDENHAM!

i have lived here all my life,i would like to see nice delis etc,all i was saying was not at the expense of other sorts of shops that are used by the community.

i would like to see a good butchers[we used to have two]

a nice deli[jascm21 sounds like a good idea]

just not at the expense of other business's

knighton was the one who mentioned bulldozers,why not get on his/her back?
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

We need a KFC instead of PFC or whatever corruption of Colonel Sanders' name for his finger lickin chicken outlet. Just kidding.

I think a nice organic food shop/butchers would go down well. There is one in the thick of Brixton and it coaxes out the reasonably well paid into the shabbier parts. If there was one in Sydenham, perhaps those richer souls of Sydenham would come into the Sydenham Road instead of Dulwich etc etc
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

well, IMO, the high street is pretty good. We have a decent chemist, shoe shop, pretty good supermarket, awesome health food store, selection of banks, stationary shop, 24hr corner shop, bakers, pet shop, a handfull of pretty good reasonable restaurants, local DIY shops... must stop, the list goes on and on - lots of good things.

So.. I go back to a suggestion I made a while back:

1. Put more signs up advertising the free car park on Girton Road
2. remove the parking on the high street,
3. Widen the pavement (using the old parking spaces)
4. Remove the oarning outside Somerfields (looks dark and dingy)
5. Promote more street/pavement use by the shops/cafe's that are already here (and do a great cup of tea).
6. [ contentious ] limit the number of estate agents allowed on the high st.

just my 2p
DaveT
dickp

Post by dickp »

I'm with Knighton, again. This is called "tough love" folks.

A bulldozer.
Followed by a decent pub or two. I know, it's a lot to ask, to be within staggering distance of a decent boozer.
And a decent restaurant. Where the food doesn't come in mega buckets.
And some decent shops. You know, where they don't sell the same utter tat as next door.

Basically, Beckenham.