Quick question - Wells Park Estate

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
SE Twenty Sixer

Quick question - Wells Park Estate

Post by SE Twenty Sixer »

A young friend of mine has recently been made an offer of accommodation in Wirrall House, on Sydenham Hill, but a quick look at any paper A to Z will tell a different story.
WELLS PARK ESTATE!!!

She's asked my advice as to whether she should accept the offer and I really don't know what to tell her. The estate doesn't have a good reputation, but her current living conditions are appalling and she really needs to move quickly.

The question I'm asking is whether the area is safe for a single parent. Can anyone help?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Also, decent primary schools in the vicinity?

Many thanks,

SE Twenty Sixer
suzisoo

Re: Quick question - Wells Park Estate

Post by suzisoo »

It has a reputation certainly but I know a few people who live there and it seems okay. Living conditions seem good from what I have seen. It can be off putting seeing the youths hanging around the local shop but they are okay once you get to know them. Trouble is usually between the youths themselves. In the catchment area for the excellent Eliot Bank primary and nursery.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I live fairly nearby and it seems OK to me - plenty of poor but respectable folk there!
mkoala

Post by mkoala »

Sometimes it's just luck - because you can't control who lives next door - has she not been allowed to go for a viewing - she might get a better idea if she can ask the neighbours.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Wirral house is NOT on wells park estate.

It is indeed on sydenham hill....to be exact sydenham hill estate, the postal address for the estate is 'sydenham hill'.

It is in a good location for schools and has good transport links.

Parks near by etc etc.

I also know that syd hill estate has recently had work done under the decent homes scheme [new kitchens/bathrooms]
SE Twenty Sixer

Post by SE Twenty Sixer »

Thanks for the info. Have passed on to her.

She'll view officially in the next couple of weeks, so I suggested she have a look-see beforehand at different times of day + weekend and talked to residents.

@suzisoo - Oh my God - fighting? Armed or unarmed?

@leaf - yes, the dwelling's undergoing some works at present.

@mkoala - Lord knows she needs some luck!

@Thomas - OK isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, now...