Food hygiene survey - want to take part?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
mosy

Food hygiene survey - want to take part?

Post by mosy »

As we all like food, would anyone care to respond to this survey? It's been set up as a University of Manchester study so no commercial interest is involved (nor any personal one either).

It appeared on another forum with a request that it be passed on to likeminded food peeps and is described as: "The challenge is to identify hazards that may cause food poisoning within a short film of food preparation. You just click your mouse on any hazards as they happen."

I reckon it's useful to take "the challenge" and learn from it, as well as helping to increase the responses they receive. It is here: http://www.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/ ... intonight/

I'll be happy to pass back any extra comments received on here. Thanks for your time :)
mosy

Re: Food hygiene survey - want to take part?

Post by mosy »

I'm curious - has anyone taken the challenge? Just wondering is all.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Just done so. I'm not so 'new man', and my wife, who works on food policy at the Department of Health, does most of the cooking. Not much looking forward to the email telling me how I missed virtually everything. Still, I've not had any food poisoning since some dodgy sardines in Portgual in 1985. :D
Annie

Post by Annie »

Yep! :)
The Scorpion

Post by The Scorpion »

I have done the survey :) Looking forward to my feedback e-mail to see if I was over the top with over 15 clicks :lol:
Thank you

Sue
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi The Scorpion. I clocked up a fair few clicks too, though I know I will have undoubtedly missed some things. I asked, perhaps sceptically, if clicks did actually register (ho hum) and am advised that "Yes, the clicks are registered at my end of things," then giving thanks to the techie folks. Probably no mean feat of achievement in my opinion.

Thanks Annie and Tim Lund also :) Tim, if your Missus would care to take the survey, perhaps she could leave any overview comments in the comments box too as I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear from an industry professional on the survey itself. :)
The Scorpion

Post by The Scorpion »

Hi mosy :)
Was very interested in this survey as, I hold a current Food Safety In Catering Level 2 Certificate so was testing my knowledge - again - (last job was in a Kitchen/restaurant)
Probably over-did it but also, probably missed a couple of things - it was very fast!
Now I am in a Hospital setting, in my current job, so very important , although not the main part of my position, but, apart from that, I am a Mom and always have prided myself on Home Food and Safety/Hygiene etc. - I use common-sense, plus previous Catering experience (apart from my last job) so look forward to feedback.
It amazes me on how many people do not even know the basics of Home Food Hygiene, whether trained or not.Not their fault, always. More basic help/training, to parents/families, would be great, I think ;)

Sue

PS Have had food poisoning recently - not down to me thankfully - dodgy takeaway :twisted:
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 17 Jul 2011 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Tim Lund wrote:Still, I've not had any food poisoning since some dodgy sardines in Portgual in 1985. :D
It's just come back to me ... a bad sandwich bought at Victoria Station about 10 years ago
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Dodgy seafood platter near le Touquet, mother's day last year. Oysters weren't served on ice and I found a baby crab moving around on the plate when I'd finished!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
mosy

Post by mosy »

@mummycat et al, thank you but please peeps don't give the game away about what you've spotted on the video, as, for a survey, it has to assume a start point of participants taking part with only the knowledge each has before being swayed by other views. Ironically, I expect the baby crab was probably safe to eat - but don't quote me on that, I'll ask... elsewhere. Surely wasn't safe for the crab though. It reminds me of that quote from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:
"It's a lovely feeling to be drunk."
"Not if you're a glass of water."

Incidentally, there are two videos. I took the challenge again to see what I'd missed first time - like watching CSI twice, plus curiosity killed the cat - and got the other one, so couldn't "cruise through" and had to be back on toes from the outset again for that one...
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

My better half, working with eldest daughter, just got all bar one. Probably best for me to stick to the gardening :D
southernmoose

Post by southernmoose »

Looks like the survey has gone viral ;)
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks for the tip southernmoose as I just found this Q&A test from the FSA in html format: http://www.food.gov.uk/safereating/hyg/germwatch/fsq

It is a link I found from here: http://www.facebook.com/FoodSafetyWeek?sk=wall which has other useful links too as you scroll down.

Food Safety Week was back in June, FSA link here: http://www.food.gov.uk/safereating/hyg/germwatch/ (their links are pdf format).

No registration or whatever is needed to access the above links.

My perspective is that of someone having an interest in all things foodie incidentally, plus I like gardening ;)